PDA

View Full Version : Freedom's Spirit

Scott Daryn Tillett
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share my latest work. Actual size of this one is: 11" x 14" on sand colored pastelboard. I used prismacolor pencils and blending stumps to create this. As always, comments are welcome.
Thank you,
Scott

ScorpionAir66
07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Oh my.....so majestic! :thumbsup:

Just a few day ago I attempted to draw an eagle similar, It is soon going to end up in the bin! I cannot seem to get prismas to do want i want on Mi-Tients paper..is it the wrong type of texture for the pencils?

l Heather l
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
A very dramatic piece! I love the bold colors and the intensity of the eagles gaze! Nice job on the out of focus background too. Nice work on the details in the feathers. :thumbsup:

Muses76
07-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't get that detail on pastel board. To me it eats up the pencils too much and doesn't allow much fine detail. Maybe its just me because you seem to have it mastered. Looks great.

minkle
07-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Oh! This is magnificent work. Beautiful.

Wassie
07-15-2010, 04:19 AM
The detail is awesome!

timo
07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
A wonderfull painting again Scott.
Both the background and the bird are so beautiful..great detail,beautiful colours.

ocmd123
07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Nice work, Scott. Great texture in the feathers. I never think to use blending stumps. I have no idea why. I need to do that. :)

Scott Daryn Tillett
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the kind words and feedback. Muses...yes the pastelboard does tend to eat up pencils but the plus side is you do not need to frame it behind glass. Getting down detail becomes much easier after you have a few layers down and after burnishing. There isn't as much grit on the surface to get around after you burnish which will allow you to get your detail much easier. Scorpion...I have never used Mi-Tients paper so it's hard to say. Color pencils work best on vellum (similar to cold press) paper and pastel board because of the texture. The added texture allows you to build up your colors without running out of tooth. So whatever paper you used next make sure it says vellum or cold press.
Thanks again,
Scott

aphid dew
07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Gorgeous!

Lexycat
07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Another beautiful work Scott, amazing close up detail, and as always the background is perfect. Do you use Neocolors for your backgrounds, or just pencils?

Scott Daryn Tillett
07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you Lexycat. Nope the whole thing was done using prismacolor pencils and blending stumps on pastelboard.

SueR
07-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Scott, this is beautifully done. As I'm relatively new to CP, what exactly is pastelboard?

Scott Daryn Tillett
07-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Thank you Sue "Dusty". Pastelboard is simple a masonite board that is most often coated with marble dust. The board was generally designed to be used with pastels. The marble dust is a gritty surface which allows for many layers of dry medium (such as pastels & colored pencils). Most colored pencil artist use lots of layers in order to achieve the depth and color their looking for so the high tooth content (tooth being the gritty surface (texture) helps the artist to achieve this. The down side of using this surface is that it uses up the medium much quicker that traditional paper because of its high grittiness. The plus side to using this surface is that it will allow you to frame your finished artwork without using glass, much like an oil or acrylic painter would. In most cases framing artwork behind glass is done only to protect the paper that it was created on (on in pastel cases, to protect the medium from getting smudged). Hope this answers your question.
Scott

Gerri S
07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Beautiful detail!

Fiskaa
07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Excellent rendering! The Eagle is one fierce creature!

Orchid Lady
07-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Very majestic and well done, Scott! I really like the pastelbord, but if you change your mind and want to crop a piece, you'd have to use a skill saw to do it. :eek: I'm doing a piece now on Sennelier La Carte Pastel Card, a sanded paper (without a grain) and it will allow me to crop it down if I change my mind on the size!

ladypainter
07-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Awesome work. We just saw one of these eagles yesterday on top of the trees as we walked on the shore of the bay of Fundy. They are so beautiful.

AnnGarlough
07-17-2010, 09:00 AM
This has the "Wow Factor" Scott. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Rowey
07-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Great work & skill
Tracey

Scott Daryn Tillett
07-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone:) Tracy...checked out your site...really nice work.