Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 21 x 29
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
i tried to capture the colors after a storm

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please critique and make suggestions for improvement.

Corby
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Despite the fact that a storm or post storm can leave an overcast that subdues color and tends to flatten values and contrasts I would punch the color up in this just a bit. I also marked some areas that may be helpful for you. The trees on the left could have darker values where the white X's are placed. Even though there may be no direct sun to cast shade there would nonetheless be less light under the trees. The white cross shaped item either needs shortened so as not to disappear into the sky or the top of it should be treated as a darker item. It looks strange as it is as if the sky has somehow intruded down into the landscape. To get a variety of values in the trees try using various shades of green. You can get a green that will actually run to black if you push it far enough by mixing Alizarin Crimson and Thalo Green. Using black as a mixing color just ends up in charcoal and ashes. The bridge even has a dead look from the black. Try a brown and blue mixture. Again you can almost approach black but it will not look dead. Your tree foliage is nicely shaped. The tree trunks themselves look sort of stiff and straight. Some natural variation may be in order there...depends on the tree itself of course. I think you are doing quite well in controlling a rather difficult medium. Practice will keep you growing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2010/70790-dataw.JPG

arleneart1
07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I took your advice and there is a definite improvement.

tony1
07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
This is nice. I think Corby's suggestions (as usual) will help.

Just a few thoughts. I'm not sure you would see the pole reflected in the water given the distance from the shore line. I always struggle with this, and if your reference photo shows it so, then it is. Otherwise give it a look.

The shadow of the flag pole on the building would be diagonal on the pitched roof, but the white part that goes vertical - the shadow of the pole should approach vertical.

And on the bridge use the brown/blue Corby suggests but don't be afraid to throw in another color, like red. Just touches of it. Try it on a separate piece of paper. Sometimes I pick a color that I think wouldn't work at all and I'm totally surprised.

Nice one, looking forward to more.