PDA

View Full Version : Dull Streaks ?

Cobalt Blue
05-21-2001, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I?ve noticed that when I apply a uniform hue to a large surface area using acrylics I will get streaks that appear dull when the paint dries. I believe another word for this is ?drag.? Its quite annoying and time consuming to resolve. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this. Thanks much.

mame
05-21-2001, 06:23 PM
Does it happen both with transparent and opaque pigments? Do you use a medium? A particular brand? Stumped...

mame
05-21-2001, 06:25 PM
One more - what's the support? Paper, canvas, illustration board, what?

LDianeJohnson
05-22-2001, 09:13 AM
Hi Colbalt Blue,

Welcome to WetCanvas!

If you are using a transparent color rather than an opaque one it will tend to streak and further layers of color are needed.

Also, be certain you are using enough paint on the first go-around. Another way to avoid streaks is to first mix enough color for the task and gently move your brush around in the color to get a smooth consistency overall before applying to your surface.

If your surface is at all "glossy" as is sometimes the case with smooth papers and gessoed surfaces streaking can occur.

Diane

------------------
L. Diane Johnson (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/) NAPA, PSA
2001/2002 Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops/)

VictoriaS
05-23-2001, 12:16 AM
I discovered when using gessoed watercolor paper that areas I missed with the gesso appeared quite a bit duller. So if you're using paper, be sure you apply a uniform layer of gesso.

Victoria

carly
05-23-2001, 04:55 PM
Another possibility of dull streaks with acrylics is brushing back and forth in paint after you lay it down. The more you work it, the duller the color will become. I've found that when I use a palette knife with acrylics, it retains its bright patina and doesn't need a final varnish. I think its because I tend to lay the paint down and move on working quickly and not blending a lot on the painting.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly