PDA

View Full Version : Bundang Central Park

Gaegujange Nick
07-13-2010, 12:53 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-12-2010/222926_Bundang_Central_Park_in_Summer_(sized).jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-12-2010/222926_Bundang_Central_Park_Jeongja_Spring1_(sized).jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-12-2010/222926_bundang_central_park_jeongja_spring2_(sized).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bundang Central Park
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: about 5 x 7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are from a series of paintings of different views of the local park in different seasons. Although the original concept came from on site sketches, they are painted from photos I've taken. I'm currently continuing on a similar series of other Korean landscapes I have photographed and looking to take the next set to the next level and this is why I've posted 3 different paintings from the series.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
In order to take these paintings to the next level, I suspect that I need to improve my textures and create more realistic descriptive colors. I'm looking for any feedback that can help inform me to develop my next set at a higher level. Thank you.

Corby
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
you have an extremely nice graphical style. I dont find a great deal that I could rightly criticize about the three you have shown. If there was a matter that you might give some consistent attention to, I would mention composition. The first painting for example, the weight of the painting is pushed into the left hand side with the two large detailed full color objects. To balance it better is the simple matter of taking the girl on the bicycle and moving her a bit to the right and giving her a dab of really bright color. This thing, small as it is will balance the two large objects on the left.

Jumping to the third painting I see much the same problem, an emphasis on the left and not enough to balance it on the right. The jet of water would work wonderfully but it is underpainted. It needs a greater value and some surface detail where it emerges from the pool. All in all I think these are quite beautifully done. Thanks for sharing them!

Gaegujange Nick
07-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Thank you for the response Corby. I painted these directly from the photos I took so perhaps in the future I will consider altering my compositions a bit more. Lately people have given me positive feed back about the graphic style of my paintings. This came to me as a surprise because initially I was not making my paintings this way and it just kind of evolved. I think in my next set of works and beyond, I want a more natural or realistic feel. For my next series I plan on eliminating the outlines and trying to get closer to real color.

Thanks again!

kathrynlovespets
07-14-2010, 04:26 AM
I really like the middle one. It is framed nicely with the flowers and greenery.
The first one needs something on the right side..the street is like an arrow pointing out of the picture
The last one needs something on the right side.
Otherwise...the eye has nothing to do once it makes its way to the right..

crazywoman53
07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
You have already received some good pointers for this style of work above so I will just say that I like them. It will be interesting to see your more realistic style.

Gaegujange Nick
07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the comments and crit, I'll be posting some WIP next week. I have lots of free time starting next week!