GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Loose Change
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
As I am still in the thick of things on this piece, now is a fortuitous time for feedback before all is lost! I do realize that I still have much "tightening up" left.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm not quite sure what is annoying me, I'm thinking it could be an unfortunate color combination. My perspective? My shapes? Please help! Thank you :)

billmahler
07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I still have much "tightening up"

I wouldn't tighten it much more.
I think you're close to home plate, if not across it already.

As you suggest, the colors aren't its main strength, but the rest of it carries the day.

I definitely wouldn't touch the coins.
If you have to do something, the shadows could use some more variety of value and the could be some more texture variety in the stripes.

As it is this is a well painted, thoughtfully conceived and composed piece and you can hang it with pride.

DanaLJensen
07-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I like this as is. Really nice, loose style. Interesting composition. Great job!

Corby
07-12-2010, 02:28 AM
I hate to play 'devils advocate' even though it is nicely painted it does seem a rather static composition. It could use some animation and it also could use a sense of depth, perhaps by changing the viewpoint and adding shadows and texture. Here is a quick suggestion, mostly about composition, perhaps it will spark an idea for change ( uh ...no pun intended)...:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/70790-coins.JPG

seattlepainter
07-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Hello, Thanks everyone for your help. Bill, I've had the same thought as to the background. Corby, that is so funny, I had been thinking about how this painting seemed a little too patriotic for some reason (maybe something unconscious as to the state of affairs as they were). Unfortunately, even though I am in the middle of this of painting, I'm still too far gone to change the compostion. As we (I) speak, I am putting on a pot of coffee to finish off this cursed painting and will post the results when finished! Sincerely, thank you so much for your help!

bocote
07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Corby has a great comment about the composition. Work any composition out early. I'm taken off the canvas early (linear composition) which I think is why it might feel undone to you. The transitions between forms are often quite bold and the white areas lack shadow. You have a good eye for the forms.

I'd suggest working out a composition in a single umber, build a 1 or 2 tone underpainting with concern mainly on shadow, apply paint over that, stop when it looks good.

Have fun,

Corby
07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
seattlepainter. You are quite welcome! I am totally neutral as to involvement in political and national sovereignty and so was concerned only with the matter of composition...I understand your hesitancy...still with the coinage, the identity is there.

cathaden
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
the coins are fantastic; will be interested to see what you do with the background.

jbart
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe its just my eyes, but is the m in the DIME upside down?