GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: I'm trying to cut back on milk
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 2 1/2 x 3 1/2
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been playing around with using "stuff" as a framing device. Most notably with the train series but I found this gadget in an antique shop. It weans a calf. You stick the prongs in the calf's nose and the plate prevents it from suckling. I suppose it looks funny and the other calves give it the horse's laugh (mixed metaphor) but I thought it looked cool. <br><br>I stuck an aceo size stretched canvas on the gadget showing the protagonists.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
open

greensyster
07-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I am wrapped in the concept of the historical frame with the little painting. I bet that will be a winner with collectors. I want the calf to have some rusty tones and a darker tummy but otherwise :thumbsup:

crazywoman53
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
What an interesting contraption. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that before. I like the cows, but the calf is too white, and the ears are too pink. Soften that pink to a more fleshy color. You've got a winner with this one.

tgsloth
07-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I obey you ladies. The reference had the calf super white, almost glowing but the painting doesn't work. I'm adding shading.

MRSBB
07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm never too old to learn something new. Never in 100 years would I have guessed what that was. I agree with the ladies on the calf, kind of looks like a lamb. I wonder if we should see the mama cow's other leg?......Lenore

DanaLJensen
07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Now where can I get some of those things for my goats??!! ;) lol
Agree with the above crits....Love the concept!

bocote
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
framing with other stuff is great. Nice work. The painting feels a little unplanned as the legs of the calf all just kinda meet the edge of the canvas. Keep an eye on your forms; the ears pink and tube white bring this painting into the unreal. Background is mudding a bit.

For background I'd recommend toning with an value correct umber and allowing to dry then going in with greens to cover the area without mud.

Have fun,