PDA

View Full Version : Split paint tubes

JamieWG
09-29-2002, 12:50 AM
Greetings, fellow painters. I'm a newbie here, enjoying this forum very much! I'm wondering if any of you have tips for split tubes of paint. I've got three of 'em wrapped up in baggies, and what a mess they've become! The holes in the tubes are very small for such a big mess! Does anybody out there have some advice for me? Some of these are very expensive colors. The splits are closer to the top of the tubes than to the bottoms. Many thanks to anyone who can help me....
Jamie

scottb
09-29-2002, 01:19 AM
Well, for starters, you should consider switching brands, if these tubes aren't ancient. :)

I'm wondering if you couldn't clean off the oustides of the tubes, and coat them with a strong glue - perhaps an epoxy - then, tightly wrap some sort of covering around it. Not sure - never had this happen to me - only had a few tubes split at the bottom where the crimp is - and those, of course, are easy to fix.

You could also squeeze it all out into a new tube ... buy some empty tubes and a crimper. :)

Cheers.
Scott

Patrick1
09-29-2002, 01:36 AM
You could try covering the holes with duct tape (either the regular plastic kind or the aluminum kind).

guillot
09-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Would SuperGlue work? Or Silicone? Never had that problem. How, or why, did they split that way?

JamieWG
09-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by guillot
Would SuperGlue work? Or Silicone? Never had that problem. How, or why, did they split that way?

Hi Giullot.

I bought a huge lot of new Rembrandt paints on Ebay that were poorly packed. It was such a great deal that even with the three tubes that split in shipping, I was happy with the paints.

I also have a split tube of WN Artists Cad Yellow Pale. That one's a killer because I use it all the time. I don't know how that one split. 'Must have happened rattling around in my toolbox or easel.

I'm thinking about trying the suggestion of the silicone glue and duct tape, though the tubes are very oily and even with cleaing them, I'm uncertain if the glue/tape will adhere.

I'm also considering transferring some of the cad yellow pale to a washed-out poster paint little plastic jar. Do you think the paint will dry out in that, since there will be some air in it too? I can't stand having that cadmium yellow pale in an unusable condition!

Many thanks to the person who suggested transferring the paint to a new tube. I didn't know that was possible! Are those supplies expensive? Where can they be purchased?

This is such a great group. Thanks so much everybody for your help and suggestions.

Jamie

scottb
09-29-2002, 11:14 AM
I do know that sinopia.com sells them - just search the net and/or these forums for "empty tubes".

musket
09-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Clean the immediate area around the hole or split with a Q-tip and acetone. Then apply some regular old 5-minue epoxy. If paranoid about the epoxy contaminating the paint, cover the hole or split with a little Saran wrap first. This works fine for me.

JamieWG
09-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by musket
Clean the immediate area around the hole or split with a Q-tip and acetone. Then apply some regular old 5-minue epoxy.

Thank you, thank you, Musket! I will try this. :=)

Jamie

JevKillion
10-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Although Muskat's solution is the answer to your problem,
your question sent me checking on the state of some oil paint mixture I prepared over ten years ago to follow some lessons in portraiture.
Unable to get empty tubes, I used emptied and well-washed toothpaste tubes, securing the bottom by folding and using two paper clips at the bottom. The paint is still usable, to my surprise.

Jev

Helen Zapata
10-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by JevKillion

Unable to get empty tubes, I used emptied and well-washed toothpaste tubes, securing the bottom by folding and using two paper clips at the bottom. The paint is still usable, to my surprise.

Jev

And it's also minty fresh, I'll bet. teehee :D

I'm so bad. When I've had holes appear in tubes of paint, I just use the hole to squeeze the paint out of. If it dries in between sessions, I use it the regular way until it starts popping out again.

Helen