PDA

View Full Version : Pin press for monoprints?

*Jill-K*
09-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Hi there. I've just started doing some monprints--mostly hand printed with a barren. I'm mainly a painter, but I'm having fun with the printmaking also. I've come across something called a "pin press" which looks like a machine tooled and very even big 'ol rolling pin. It's about $200, which seem like a lot to me. However, if it works great maybe it's worth it. Anyone have experience with this item? If so, does it work well? Thanks much! Jill

Gisela
09-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi Jill,
Welcome to WetCanvas and printmaking! :)

I think a baren is fine for most monotype work. I run some pieces throught my little etching press, which, by the way, cost just a little more than that pin press!
If you're interested in exploring more types of printmaking, I think a small etching press is a better investment than a pin press. Although I've never used one, it seems like a pin press would only be useful for relief printing. (someone correct me, if I'm wrong) :cool:

Gisela

sassybird
09-29-2002, 11:56 PM
You are right, Gisela. The pin roller is expensive, and is only good for relief prints. Even then it is difficult to control the pressure, and it never prints by rolling over just once.

*Jill-K*
09-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll save my money for a little etching press then. What type would you recommend as being a good value and still well made? Sometimes an old letterpress is available on EBay--would that work for monoprint and maybe little etchings? Or would I be better off just going for the regular etching press?

Anyone out there have a medium-to-small used press that they'd like to sell? I live in Rochester, N.Y. , but I'll also be down in the Washington D.C area around Thanksgiving time, and near West Orange N.J. in early November.

sassybird
09-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Check out Dick Blick online. They have a number of sizes to choose from in presses, and they are all very reasonably priced.

timelady
11-08-2002, 05:01 PM
A letterpress or bookpress is only good for relief work. Go that little bit extra and get an etching (also called intaglio) press. :) Well worth it! With an intaglio press you can change both the pressure and the blankets to print a wide variety of plates.

A girl in my studio group does monoprints on shiney card and puts them through the etchign press. Another artist uses the same press and prints *very* high collograph plates. Usually collograph collages shouldn't be more than 1/8" high or so (if that) but she builds up probably to about 1/4 inch!!! She uses yoga mats in the press instead of blankets and does some wonderful stuff. And the press gets its fair use for normal etchings too.

Saying all that, I've abandoned all presses for using a baren or my hand. I sold my etching press and have loaned out my relief press because I never used it.

Tina.