PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Castle

mariecigale
07-08-2010, 01:56 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-07-2010/219173_Buchanan_Castle.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Buchanan Castle
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This castle which once belonged to my caln is now a ruin. I wanted to depict some sadness

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Everything

mariecigale
07-08-2010, 02:18 AM
This should read "This castle which once belonged to my clan.." I saw the typo too late!

tgsloth
07-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I wonder if you painted this from a photo or from life. If from a photo, you'll get more valuable critiques if you post it too. But here are some critical points that I feel can be of assistance from viewing your painting.

The sky is well painted but lighten it as it nears the horizon.

You have a dark outline around most of the castle. This looks unnatural. Using a small brush, go over all these dark lines to mute them out and the castle will look much better. You've already well handled the tones and hues on the walls of the castle.

The foliage on the hill is the biggest problem. It's a melange of colors, all of which are at about the same value so it comes across as flat. You need more constrasty darks, especially at the bottom. Here's where close attention to the scene or reference photo will guide you.

Corby
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
TG has covered its need beautifully! The only thing I might add is that mixing the linear style with the outline style may not be such a good idea...one or the other is needed not both in one!

mariecigale
07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry everybody. I can't change this painting, because I painted it for my sister, who loves it, has framed it, and it's hanging in pride of place in her living room! I want to do another, similar, not cloned copy, for myself, and I will follow your recommendations. Your points are well made, and re-inforced what I really knew, but I was in too much of a hurry to finish it before flying off to Ontario. Thank you. Corby, what would I do without you?

tgsloth
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
We'd all be in the soup without Corby. He is the soul of this forum.

mariecigale
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes. that is true!