Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Oil on canvas

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I haven't shown my work since high school so I'm very anxious/nervous for a no-holds-barred critique. A friend saw some of my work the other day and said I should try and show, but I'm wondering if she's just being a good friend? I plan on posting a few more pieces in the next few days, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Comment on anything, but please, PLEASE be brutally honest... I can take it. :)

Suvi
07-06-2010, 07:59 PM
This is fantastic! I would love to see some more of your work. To me I feel like its a really close up of a flower. Very vibrant colours, definitally eye catching. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing more!!

Corby
07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes this is beautifully painted! I too would like to see more of your work. My comment on this may not be totally what you would like to hear, however, I do note that as colorful and well painted as it is, it is one of many many similar images. That being the case you have to bring every creative ploy you can to enhance its desirability. In this instance it may mean greater value contrasts to enhance the drama. Most certainly one thing that would have enhanced its appeal would have been to place the center of the 'flower' at the spot that rivets the eye. I have placed the grid over the painting that results from the 'rule of thirds' where the lines cross are of themselves magnets for the eye, so it is the optimal spot for placing your focal point. Any one of the four spots. I have made an arrow pointing to where I would have placed the center. It would have been advantageous to have made this placement as well in that the center of interest is awfully close to the edge of the canvas. If someone wished to frame the painting it would for that reason lose some of its impact.
You are obviously doing well. I would paint for the joy of pleasing myself, reaching out for maturity as an artist. (do we ever reach it? I'm not sure, but the pleasure comes from moving toward the goal) Anyway I make this subjective point simply because pleasing others is such a difficult thing! To have a showing is wonderful! I wish you success! Please show us more of your work, and welcome to the WetCanvas!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2010/70790-moveflower.jpg

angelacrystal
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks Suvi and Corby. I'll keep the rule of thirds in mind in the future. I should have remembered that from photography. :/ I love that... painting for the joy of pleasing myself, reaching out for maturity.