PDA

View Full Version : A Shelter from the Wind

GaryKitch
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-04-2010/226259_shelter500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Shelter from the Wind
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30cm x 30cm (12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm satisfied that this is finished now even though it wasn't going to be like this - the sky was a lot darker and it was raining hard until a couple of days ago !<br><br>It was too dark though and so I re-did the sky and lightened up the landscape considerably.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it work ?<br>Without reading the title do you know that its a windy day ?<br>Does the gate need highlighting more, it seems to blend into the foreground.<br>Is the foreground too dark ?

crazywoman53
07-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I like this a lot. I have seen windy days where a cloud will blow in front of the sunlight or cast a heavy shadow on the ground below and you have patches of sunlight mixed in with very dark spots. I assume this is what you were going for? I'd kind of like to see what it would look like were that spot of sunlight with the sheep were carried through the gate a little so your foreground is connected to the background. See what the others think.. Very nice one!

La_
07-04-2010, 06:49 PM
i like it as it (though scrolling down to hide the dark top section works too)

yes, windy

la

cathaden
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
definitely conveys windy & highlighting the gate would make it even better IMHO. Great painting whatever you decide!

song_bird
07-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Extraordinary painting! Visited your blog and just love your work.

GaryKitch
07-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for the comments, its much appreciated !

mkillough
07-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Absolutely love the title and the beautiful painting! :clap:

I would have some of the tall grass blades blowing in a different direction which would indicate the fierceness of the wind.
Otherwise, the grass blades are blowing in one direction only and the sheep would be on the other side of the fence. Hope this makes sence.

Maryq

ThreeWolves
07-06-2010, 03:22 AM
I love the almost Baroque feel with the darks. I could see you playing with the dramatic aspect some more, See how far you can take it.

Corby
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM
yes, you have expressed beautifully the fitful ragged feel of a blustery patly sunny day. Wonderful job! I think La's observation about scrolling down past the upper dark portion of the sky is very revealing. It speaks of the weak compositional quality. Instead of cutting the upper portion of the painting away however I would enlarge and play up the rugged fence and gate, silhouetting them against the sky and mountain more. Then bring the huddling sheep more into the central portion of the painting, making them the focal point. The drama would be much increased!

GaryKitch
07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks again for the comments, its really helpful to understand how other people see this, I'm going to hold off changing anything on this one but will definitely do another in the same vein taking into account the suggestions that you have all made.

jbart
07-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I like it Gary. This is a wonderful painting as it conveys beauty and tells a nice story. I think your idea take the great suggestions and do a sequel is super. Looking forward to seeing it.

eyecandy2
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
the way you've painted the grass, it looks like the wind is blowing into the animals and they would be seeking shelter in another place. I do think that you could have put a little sun on the gate. All else, a very nice piece of work. and we are certainly drawn in to feel the vastness of the view.

beartist
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I like it just the way it is!

rusted_art
07-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I like it a lot. i have a couple of suggestions. the sky is lacking a little subtlety in your aforementioned efforts to create the effect of wind. i think the marks are also pointing up too far rather than following the curve of the earth. the other thing is i think a little more dark tone in the bottom right corner balances out the dark sky in the top left. but yeah... next painting.

kathrynlovespets
07-14-2010, 04:52 AM
It has a VERY foreboding mood....I wish I could make out the sheep a little better..but otherwise, interesting