PDA

View Full Version : A5 Experimental Sketchbook

TaniaBee
07-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Hello everyone,

So I've had this sketchbook for a little while & anything new that i want to try out (art supplies, techniques, tutorials) it gets done in here.

I would love to post everything up, but i'm just going to show you my favorites and the ones i'm most proud of - LOL - this is the power invested in me... :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0148.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0150.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0172.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0179.jpg

Then i have begun the 'Start a Sketchbook Habit' (after seeing a few others do it, i became intrigued) so you'll also see those pages here (which is basically all that is going into this sketchbook, because i think there is just enough space for 21 double pages.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0227.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0229.jpg

Size : A5, 110gsm
Medium : Anything goes (Watercolour/WC Pencils/CP/Oil Pastels/Pitt Pens/Graphite)

virgo68
07-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Very cool start!

TaniaBee
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Jackie - thanks for looking at my sketchbook.

I also did day 3 - so here it is....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0240.jpg

jacquip
07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Tania this will be a good one to follow. Love the goldfish in the cup. That sketch a day habit seems to be catchy, I still haven't look at it yet. You've got some good ideas going there.

Studio-1-F
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Tania, this is great! Your Day Three reminds me of the doodling chapter in Bert Dodson's book, Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Your Creativity (http://books.google.com/books?id=6wnjmqnoo70C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Keys+to+Drawing+with+Imagination&hl=en&ei=FPktTPOuAsK78gba29GbAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false) (2006). Scroll down to look at pages 11 through 21. Neat!!!

Jan

DrDebby
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Great sketches. The goldfish in the cup is just awesome.

mhimeswc
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Tania, I love your goldfish sketch!

I started the "Start a Sketchbook Habit" yesterday. LOL I think your "How do I feel" sketches came out better than mine. I only found things in maybe four or five squares out of at least about 16. Now I have to find a glue stick, or a bottle of glue, or something sticky so I can do day 2. I like what you did with the Day 2 pages too.

Vivien Maloney
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Tania - Great start to your Sketchbook. I particularly like the goldfish in the jug - beautifully done. And your other sketches are very good - you've been really busy!

Jakesgram
07-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Tania - I'm so glad you are doing the 21 Day Sketching Habit. It is so fun to see what other people do with the exercises. I got stopped around day 12 or so because I need some dedicated time in my studio to play with different mediums. BUT, I have still been doing some kind of sketching every day until I can get back to it, so I guess the habit is taking hold! :)

Your goldfish in the cup is so well done! And the shine on those cherries is fantastic! I think my favorite is the exercise on Part to Whole. I love how imaginative your extensions are. And I also really like the "How do I Feel" pages. I was quite surprised at how much pure FUN that one is to do.

Really great work! I'll be watching for more.

Jean

robertsloan2
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Tania, these are great! So cool to see your versions of the Start a Sketchbook Habit exercises. Excellent designs. I love those cherries too, and the finny hair girl is fascinating. Good job on the goldfish in a glass cup too, that's excellent.

Joan T
07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Tania - These are great!! I like the cherries and the underwater look to your page 2!

eyepaint
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Nice job on the fish and the cherries.

TaniaBee
07-05-2010, 05:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments - I have a huge smile on my face.

I decided to do this sketchbook habit because I don't always feel like i'm imaginative enough, like i always need a reference to draw and doing that "Part to Whole" on day two made me realize that if i set my mind free i can draw from imagination without having a reference picture - it was quite liberating.

I too like that picture of the goldfish in the cup - it's from a reference photograph on Drawspace.

Thank you all very much for dropping in, today is Day 7, which means i need to post Days 4-6 - i forgot my flash at home today, but will definitely post tomorrow. (Monday morning syndrome....)

virgo68
07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Looking at everyone's work with this "sketchbook habit" project I decided to take a look at the site. You are all doing so wonderfully well at it :) Tania, your day 3 work looks great - I particularly like the boxes on the bottom of the right page - quite descriptive, can't wait to see more!

JTMB
07-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Tania,

Glad to see this book, and another sketch-a-day person (I'm doing that as well, though not utilizing a specific source or program). The goldfish are excellent!

TaniaBee
07-07-2010, 04:02 AM
I've been terrible at not posting haven't I - life just gets in the way sometimes...sigh.

Anyway, i haven't given up on the Sketchbook Habbit - i'm still going strong, so here are the next couple of pages.

Day 4 - Dual Hand Drawings - Object is to draw pictures with both hands at the same time. I'm right handed (not that you can tell by these drawings) and i discovered that when i draw with both at the same time, my left hand draws the mirror image of my right hand. It's absolutely bizarre and my work diary is filled now with words and shapes drawn with both hands because i've never really drawn anything with both hands - so here it is (left page = left hand, right page = right hand)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0243.jpg

Day 5 - Learn to Observe - Object is to draw what ever is around you. So i drew this tiny teddy whose been living in with all my pencils & pens etc. and then the next page is the TV & the unit/colomn things that it sits on. i used this 'magic pencil' with contains the 3 primary colours in it and when you draw it combines the lot - it's quite fun to use.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0244.jpg

Day 6 - How do I Feel.... AGAIN! - it was quite fun to do this again i must say, even though i wasn't all that keen at first.

Day 7 - Synetics - The object was to right down a series of words and then draw little pictures next to it associated with that word. (used the magic pencil again)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0245.jpg

Day 8 - Value - The river rocks.... i was nervous at first because i don't really enjoy the pencil shading thing, i'm not patient enough. but this was quite nice to do and it definitely helps you to see the importance of value!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0246.jpg

virgo68
07-07-2010, 05:56 AM
great work Tania, how cool is that magic pencil! I am intrigued by the drawing with both hands and this might be a reallly dumb question - did you do both at the same time or one hand first and then the other?! :)

jacquip
07-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Tania I know what you mean about it being hard to keep posting. At least you are still drawing. That is really freaky with your non dom hand drawings being mirror images.

TaniaBee
07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Jackie - I drew with both hands at the same time. if i draw only with my non-dom hand and concentrate then i can draw the 'right way up' but if i draw both hands together, then it comes out mirror image.

Jacqui - you're right, it's so bizarre - don't know what to make of it...

DrDebby
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Great that you are continuing to draw. That is weird that your left hand mirrors your right hand. Cool pencil effects with your colored pencil.

virgo68
07-08-2010, 05:51 AM
What a cool idea to draw with both at the same time - I would probably have interpreted the instructions to use one or the other but not both LOL! What a fascinating concept (I might have a go at that myself) I wonder why it is that you mirror what your dominant hand is doing....?

mhimeswc
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Good job on those last pages, Tania. And your dominant/non dominant hand sketches are fine. They don't look any worse than mine. I chose a daisy because it was easy.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the "how do I feel" page the second time. I was thinking about skipping it, but I will go ahead with it. However, I have already missed a day or two - I have my 11 year old grandson here, and we have been busy cramming all sorts of fun activities in, and twice I fell asleep in the evening watching videos that I rented for him. Next week I may have his two younger brothers, in which case I will probably get nothing productive done. LOL

But when I get a few minutes on the computer I will check to see what you have done.

Joan T
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Love the 2 handed sketches and your river rocks look really super. Life sometimes gets in the way of skeching, but you can often find a few minutes to do something. Keep it up!!!

robertsloan2
07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Great pages, Tania! Your drawing reversing with your off hand and doing mirror writing with your off hand reminds me of Leonardo da Vinci, that's very cool. Well done on all the Sketchbook Habit exercises.

Vivien Maloney
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Great non-dominant hand drawings Tania. I still shudder when I remember mine in the Scavenger Hunt. Really enjoying following your sketchbook.

TaniaBee
07-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments & nice words - it really does keep me going :)

I have been sketching still, but haven't had a chance to put the pictures up and might only be able to update this thread on Monday again... but there will be lots i promise :)

Jakesgram
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Tania, I am so glad to see several of us are doing the 21 Day Sketching Habit exercise. It's especially fun to see what others have done. Your work looks great and you are clearly enjoying it.

I also am surprised by the mirror image results you got with the two handed drawing. My result was just the opposite. It was as though my hands were locked together and the left (non-dom) hand just automatically made exactly the same motions as the right. It was different than drawing with my left hand only.

. . .I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the "how do I feel" page the second time. I was thinking about skipping it, but I will go ahead with it. . . .

I had the same experience as Tania. Didn't really want to do it the 2nd time,but I ended up enjoying it. Suzette seems to do it as a way of relaxing. I may have to do it a few more times before I get to that point! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TaniaBee
07-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Gosh, where does the time go.... here are the latest pages.
I will admit, life got in the way and i'm a bit behind in my sketchbook habit - i think that defeats the object doesn't it... but oh well.... i'll start all over again if i have to :)

Day 9 - Design (we had to draw little frames & just let ourselves go and come up with different designs) I quite enjoyed this... it's like doodling.... :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0250.jpg

Day 10 - Abstract (this was a interesting one as we had to draw 3 things from around the house, just the outline, and then corner a piece off - ABSTRACT ART) i decided to colour each little section in a different colour and i'm quite pleased at how it came out... this was lots of fun!!

Day 11 - Colour & Negative Space (we had to layer colour by colour only colouring the negative space) I must say this taught me allot about colours and how they blend together and how you can accomplish a picture like this with doing the negative space first... awesome exercise!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0251.jpg

Day 12 - All Media No Plan - i just decided to try every kind of paint, pencil, pastel that i had - so yeah... this is what happened!!

Day 13 - Be a Kid (on this one you had to dig out your cheap kids art supplies and just go crazy) so i used wax crayons, pencils, felt tip pens... also lots of fun....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0253.jpg

I bought myself a Sketchbook/Journal yesterday, A4 with a sort of straw woven type cover, it's beautiful... can't wait to start using it. yeah!! (I will post it when i do)

TaniaBee
07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Jeanne - thanks for your comments :)

I feel that sometimes the exercises on this 21 Day Sketchbook Habbit seem a bit 'boring' or whatever you want to call it... but then when you do it, it's SOOOO much fun - Suzette obviously knows what she's talking about... LOL!!

virgo68
07-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Great stuff Tania! It is really interesting to watch how everyone interprets the same project. Your page of all media no plan is intriguing and I love the page of design - very graphic and strong in the black and white. Your new journal sounds lovely, looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

mhimeswc
07-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Fun to look at your exercises as you are a couple of days ahead of me, and I can get ideas from you. LOL I like what you did with your abstract, and with the all media day. I think I will do the negative spaces one a little differently by overlapping the items a bit. And I will probably use crayons for "be a kid" too, since I have them out for the grandkids right now.

I agree that some of the exercises sound pretty boring, but once I get started they are a lot of fun. The only one I didn't enjoy was the second day of the "how do I feel".

TaniaBee
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Jackie - thanks for looking in. yeah, it shows how differently we all think about the same thing - i always think about that - like if i'm reading a book and you read the same book, do we see the characters the same - that's why reading a book and then watching a movie normally sucks because it's not how WE imagined it.

These exercises are great to prick at our imagination & creativity i think anyway.

Michelle - LOL!! i don't know how good my ideas are... Looking forward to seeing your negative spaces day.... the be a kid day i wasn't really in the mood to be a kid and i think it came out looking like a bit of a soup - but oh well - you have your grandkids and i have my little sister's school stash that i borrowed from her...

those how do you feel days i think are to get your mind relaxed and i must say although i cringed when i saw it was another day of 'how do i feel' after i did it i was quite happy about it... i think my second page was better than my first.... Suzette does it to relax.... maybe it's something you have to get in to?!?!?

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Tania, I love what you did with your Abstract. It became a lot more abstract when you colored yours, and a lot more lively. Your "three mediums no plan" is fantastic. That page is a great record of how all those mediums behave, you'll be using it for a reference later on. Your "be a kid" one is bright and cheery. You've been getting into these in the best way, it's so surprising and great to see all your latest!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "how do you feel?" That stumped me completely. Paying attention to how I feel is dominated by chronic pain. I'm not sure what emotions are like for people who don't get physical pain when they're sad or angry or afraid.

At the same time, not being able to do it as an exercise is a little thing nagging at me as an artistic goal. Something like "One of these days I'll do a prehistoric animal in action rather than just posed like a museum mount" or "I'm going to try wet in wet sometime and see if I can make it work within a small hard-edged area." I wind up doing these things eventually... and seeing yours makes me think it's a good artistic goal.

If I could somehow express how I feel at those good times when I'm not paying attention to how I feel, manage that zen and not break the joy by noticing how I feel, it would be great. Maybe I just need to time it right, for a good day when the weather's not kicking me in the teeth.

DrDebby
07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Great job on all the exercises. Your new journal sounds lovely. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

TaniaBee
07-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Robert - Thanks for all your comments - i am going to be at my sketchbooks this weekend and hope to be able to post the rest of the sketchbook habits on Monday (i have to do it at work unfortunately...)
Sorry to hear about your chronic pain and i can only imagine how that must be fore in your mind - maybe you should think about "How do i feel when i paint" when you're doing those exercises and not so much about how you PHYSICALLY feel, maybe you'll get better results or feel better about doing them. Maybe when you have a bright sunny day and the curtains are drawn and all that beautiful light comes in and you're feeling a bit better - it may be a good time to try it again....
To be honest, when i think "How do i feel" - i think about people and things that make me happy - my boyfriend, family, my pets - maybe i'm to scared to think about how i truly feel inside (like emotions) and maybe that is a challenge in itself for me.

Debby - i'm excited to draw in my new book - i'm just having those first page jitters where i don't think anything is good enough you know... LOL!! but hopefully i'll break the cycle over the weekend.

christinemlr
07-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Tania, I just started the 21 day sketch habit course , and I'm fascinated to see your A5 Experimental Sketchbook. Its a good title, because these really are experimental pieces. I get a strong sense of openess and exuberance from your work. I especially like the 'all media -no plan' page because your spontaneous experimental markmaking has created really interesting patches of shape and colour. I like the fresh innocence you captured in the child page too.
I was very interested in your comment on how you choose to think of happy things when you do your how do I feel? squares and your insight into maybe being scared of a darker side in there left unexpressed. When I did mine I refused to even think of it as 'how do I feel' but just tried to be open to where the line wanted to be. Its funny how most of us doing this 21 day sketch habit have a resistance to that particular exercise. I wonder if that signifies its usefulness, something that we can do that can really help to get latent but hidden aspects of ourselves into our creative work. I'll certainly be doing these again, especially at those times when I'm stuck and just don't know what to draw/paint. I think its going to be a very useful tool (relating to what Suzette said) in my visual thinking toolbox.

I'm suprised your working in a small A5 size book, but it doesn't seem to be cramping your style. On the plus side A5 is a great size for keeping a book with you.

I'd love to know where you you want to go with your art when you've got you're sketchbook habit.

Xina

TaniaBee
07-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Xina,

Fantastic that you've joined the 'Sketchbook Habit' - look forward to seeing your exercises. My book is experimental, it didn't start out that way though as i wanted these perfect art pieces to feature in it at first - but i must say that since doing these exercises, i feel allot more free!! I always wanted my art to look "picture perfect" and my boyfriend said to me one day "You know, you have a warped idea about art" and that just stuck with me... i realised that art is NOT about being perfect but rather expressing how you feel and the joy you have when drawing/painting etc.

You're right about those "how do i feel?" days!! I think about things that make me happy because i try (on the whole) to be very positive in life (not always successful) but yes, i do try - but maybe i should do these exercises again with a FOCUS on how i feel inside (my emotions) - it's scary, but i'm going to try :)

i like A5 because it's not to overwhelming for me... i found that an A4 used to leave me feeling quite out of breath because i feel like i have to fill every space or draw things bigger or whatever, so i've grown fond of the A5 - however my new sketchbook is an A4 - so we'll see. I have bought another A5 sketchbook for me to continue with my experiments & other exercises i may come across. it's good to keep handy i find.

I have a canvas beach looking bag (not to beach like, but that round, open at the top look) and it i have my sketchbooks, a little white box with all my pens, pencils, erasers, paint brushes, W&N inks and some other odds & ends, i have my Derwent Colorsoft, Inktense, Aquatone Pencils and i find when i have all these things... i want to draw and can draw because i have my tools with me... so the past month or so has been a real growing point for me.

Gosh i'm babbling aren't i.

to answer your last question - you know i always wanted to do art at school and i wasnt' allowed because my mom said i should be a bookkeeper to earn a good salary - i hated accounting & just wanted to do art, but it was not so... about a year ago (i'm now 27) i began drawing and doing on-line tutorials etc, joined DS & WC and chatting to other members has helped me allot... my goal then is just to become better & to love what i'm doing... work on my colour work... never stop learning & drawing every single day really....

i've said enough :) where do you want to go with your art after the sketchbook habit?

mhimeswc
07-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey, Tania! My mom made me take a commercial course - typing, shorthand, bookkeeping, etc. so I could get a job. I wanted to study art too. LOL I worked in an office until I was married - hated it. Stayed home with the kids and taught arts and crafts to my Sunday School kids and my Cub Scout kids, as well as my own kids. Went back to work after kids got older, and I "painted pictures in my head" while I was doing boring data entry at the computer. When I retired, I finally got to take some classes, and spent all my time painting at first. I lost a lot of that focus in the last few years, and am trying to get it back.

Glad to see that you are concentrating on art at 27. You have a lot of art learning years left to grow in.

TaniaBee
07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
shame, i know that my mom (and i'm sure your mom michelle) was only trying to help us, but that desire in your heart just never leaves you. i'm sure you'll find your muse again soon.... sometimes things in our life, the weather or whatever can change our focus, but you always come back again :)

trying to do art at 27 - wish i didn't have a full time job & so tired all the time that i could do more!!

TaniaBee
07-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Ok, Ok, so my sketchbook habit went right out the window... i do planning on carrying on because i did really enjoy it - but when is another question for another day - LOL!!

Before i bought this A5 Sketchbook that i've been sharing with you, i bought one prior to that (the exact same one) and then i misplaced it and it got lost :( very sad about that, but now.... I FOUND IT!!! so i'll be posting stuff that i've done and am going to do in that Sketchbook as well, since they are EXACTLY the same!!

So here are the couple of drawings i did before i lost it.

This is an ornament cat that brandon's mom has - quick sketch with my 'Magic Pencil'

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0265.jpg

The next two are from some art books that i bought and tried out the lessons with colour pencils (i am going to try do them again with my 'upgraded' pencils - Derwent Coloursoft as i did this with 'cheaper' pencils before).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0266.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/186673-Photo0267.jpg

As you can see, i've dated them, back to September last year, feels like just the other day.... so much has happened since then (Especially art & drawing wise).

mhimeswc
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
How cool to find a lost sketchbook and suddenly have lots more pages to fill. LOL Fun to look back at sketches from a year ago. I think you are much bolder now. I like your happy ornamental cat, and your veggie still lifes. The eggplant/pear/lemon one is great.

DrDebby
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Nice to find something you thought you'd never see again. Your drawing has grown since you did those. Even then, you were doing wonderful drawings. Definitely, if you want to pursue the colored pencils, use the good ones.

TaniaBee
08-06-2010, 05:19 AM
I bought a book about human & animal anatomy to better understand drawing people and animals, because if you know what's underneath, it will help you draw what's on top (so to speak). this is a 500 page book with lots of detail on everything, bones, muscles for every inch of the body - it's actually for artists (can't remember the name of it off hand, and it's at home, but i will let you know when i remember to write it down).

ANYWAY, i did a face study drawing that they had in the book (as they explain to you how to break up the face, the distance between each feature etc.) So this is the first step - i relatively happy with it, just gotta work on some things (made notes on the side).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2010/186673-Face_Study.jpg

DrDebby
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Very good exercise in drawing a face. The notes are spot on. You've done really well.

virgo68
08-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Good job Tania, you will find faces fascinating, and you will start studying everyone's face without realising it! I love figures, faces and people (can't you tell?) and look forward to seeing your sketches ;)

robertsloan2
08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Tania, that's so great you found a lost sketchbook! I like your fruit and vegetable studies. The one in colored pencils is very sophisticated even if you were using cheap ones. I can see how using Coloursofts will give you a smoother, more burnished look - but you've already got the values spot on. Same with the graphite one. Both of those are excellent.

I like the face you did too, very natural. The happy cat ornament is cute, it's so cheery. Well done! Looking forward to seeing more - now that you've got twice as many pages to work with, no reason not to fill them up!

jacquip
08-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Isn't it so good when you find an old sketchbook and you can see how much you have improved. The older sketches are great within themselves but I can definitely see more confidence in your sketches now. Be proud of all of them. Look forward to seeing some more new stuff soon.

virgo68
08-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree with Jacqui - sometimes when you stumble across old works or drawings it is like finding an old friend! Sometimes I think how I have improved and other times I look at stuff with fresh eyes and think "that is not as bad as I thought it was"! I guess that is why the sketchbooks are such a good idea and if we are brave enough to not throw things away because they are "failures", it gives us perspective further down the track ;)

Vivien Maloney
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Great fruit and vege studies! Yes, it's always good looking through old sketch books. Gives us such a booste of confidence when we see how we've improved.