GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Vacant
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first post and thought I'd start it with a critique. I'm mostly a watermedia painter but have been "experimenting" with pastels.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Your comments are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

thomas w
07-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Nice colors. I like the minimalist presentation.

Lance Nelson
07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks, I was worried that I had posted something wrong.

greensyster
07-02-2010, 01:31 AM
You have! LOL This is too good for a first post!

I'll do the bad stuff first (bad as I see it)

Hard to put center of interest in center of picture but you may have pulled it off.

The hole for the missing bird should be dark not the same hue and value as external areas for they have reflected or caught light. You have handled the externals especially well.

Maybe the odd perspective issue but that's getting picky.

Post again soon.

Corby
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Very very nice! But in accord with the greensys I too notice the central location of your focal point which is generally not done. I also note that your horizon line is holding up the roof of your house.

There is nothing wrong with breaking the rule about not putting the focal point in the center of the canvas...but howe about giving the painting a bit of snap by just barely moving the house to the left so that it is the hole/door of the house that falls in the center of the canvas. Then drop the horizon line so that the house is set free from that entanglement and thrust up into the air. With these changes I'll bet you will have to put up a no vacancy sign soon! keep painting! Show us more! I like what you are doing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/70790-birdhouse.jpg

crazywoman53
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
This is a simple but enjoyable piece. I agree with what the others have posted except.. and sorry Corby but I think the suggested new horizon line divides the canvas in two. I would therefore suggeset the horizon line should be placed on one of the two horizontal dividing lines. If you wanted to add a little more interest to the house you could have underpainted the white with some of the background rusty red and then layered over it. But it is quite nice the way it is.

billmahler
07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Good management of light and temperature here.
I do think that the perspective is off and that's detracting from the precision of the piece.

Lance Nelson
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you all for all of the comments/advice. Looking forward to posting more. Have a great weekend.

tgsloth
07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Notwithstanding the thoughtful crits, the work is wonderful. Pastels rule, baby.

TScottDove
07-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Sometimes all the "rules" don't apply. This is pretty outstanding as is.

Bis007
07-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Very nice:clap:I just like anything about nature/birds etc even how wrong or right it may seems. It is art. It is you. and we are here. (I built a bird house once).Now I am trying to get rid of slugs eating my chards leaves. Go figure. Ha, I feed them cheap beer!!

Lovely Bird house, how about some foilage in the bG? and maybe darken some of the blues.) needs some darks.
:music:tislovelyandpersonal- I like. Send it to my garden..

jbart
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome to wet canvas. I like your birdhouse painting. This is a great start for your first use of pastels and first post on wc. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

bocote
07-12-2010, 11:34 PM
you've got some good keys here. Love the confidence in this work. Colors are very bold yet well used. Subject fine.

If I had to be critical I'd say that some of the pastel is a little muddy while other is quite skillful. In something like this I think I'd like a consistent style.