PDA

View Full Version : Midsummer Orchard

CaKatt
07-01-2010, 02:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-01-2010/197736_Catalpa_and_diasies.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Midsummer Orchard
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just finished this up this mo<br>ing at a local orchard. I'm not totally happy with it, as if the focal point or composition is not clear enough. This is a photo I took and the color isn't accurate.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Are the daisies in the foreground too distracting and keep your eye from proceeding into the picture? Suggestions to make it better? Is there just too much going on without a clear way for the eye to be led around?

CaKatt
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Please move to Structured Critique.

Corby
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I am thinking you probably lost color in your photo...it is a tricky business... I enhanced the color in this and reposted a suggestion. The painting lacks a focal point. It need not be this particular thing, but you can perhaps with this see the need for something...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2010/70790-picking_flowers.jpg

CaKatt
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
If I am understanding your point I need to put something stronger in or make something stronger to make a more decisive focal point. Currently, I think the focal is fighting between the far peach trees and the foreground daisies. A person or persons would definitely resolve that issue.

After some thinking I believe a lack of transition between the foreground and middle ground is what is bothering me the most right now. It almost looks like the tree and daisies are framing the rest of the painting and they aren't a part of the picture. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

Corby
07-01-2010, 06:07 PM
One thing about the far trees is that their bright warm colors advance toward us visually and so they do not appear as if they are far away. The peach trees seem more of a size if they were a vinyard. Cool hazy color would push them and the evergreens behind them back so that they would seem in the distance.

crazywoman53
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
This must have been a lovely scene to paint. I see what you are talking about. You have essentially created a U shape with the foreground and enclosed your background within that. Perhaps if you trialed some of the flowers into the middle yellow area it would link the two.