PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo-July 2010-Stop by.

trafford
07-01-2010, 06:55 AM
OMG! It's July already! Time goes faster when you get older but this is ridiculous. Wish the winter would go a little faster and let me linger in the spring a little longer.

So, what is everyone doing this summer? I know some of us are going into winter and the rest of us are going to swelter. Any great sketch book trips, or like me staying home and drawing my back yard?

Please post some summer sketches and thoughts...or anything else you want.

:heart:

azulparsnip
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Ya'll - just back for a week at the beach....took lots of art supplies but used not much......was really relaxation sensation......

Janet - drawing the backyard can be alot of fun!!

gakinme
07-07-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2010/86669-sp_July_2010_c.jpg It's July already, and it's still very cold where I live. An average of 50-70 only.

I did some portraits of my kids at the beach this last weekend. Bought some gouache that came today and would be trying those out soon.

Recently, one of my favorite Korean actor committed suicide and I was broken hearted for a good week or so. Now I'm just pulling myself together and moving on. Had spent a lot of time writing about him at my blog and did less painting but will catch up soon.

Here's a piece done while thinking about him.

azulparsnip
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I like this piece sandra. has that certain je n'ai ce quois. ?(probably lousy french spelling) The sky is powerful-really the whole thing is powerful!!!
Suicide is an all round bummer.

I've been practicing trees with the Mustard Seed Garden the last couple of days.

trafford
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
A lovely memorial, Sandra.

Are those mustard seeds drawn on a paper bag, Robin? :lol: I love my recycled bags...but unfortunetly I started to use the cloth carriers and my paper bag supply is dwindling.

It is terribly hot and humid here and the A/C makes me feel so boxed in...but a necessity I'm afraid. At least I can do a few things besides swelter.

Glad you had a good time at the beach Robin. I haven't seen proper water for a while, and I miss it...the best tranquilizer of all is sitting on the beach and watching the waves roll in. :heart:

azulparsnip
07-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Janet - Yes those are recycle brown paper I saved when I recieve stuff in the mail. Smoothed out and laid under my mattress. I also bought some brown kraft paper at Lowes for printing on and for later when the ink works are worth pinning up.
Ugh, it is hot here too. Was 100 thursday.
We thought our water ran out. We ran out of water every summer at the old place so we automatically thought but after a bit found it to be a pump problem.
Being shut in is no fun. Mr. H my ole buddy can't take the heat but dislikes sitting inside all shut up too. He bounced his teeth on the floor and had to wait a couple days for repair. I asked him if they fell out while he was laughing.:D

gakinme
07-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Thank you, Robin, Janet.

Brown paper bags are perfect for ink work. Good looking trees there, Robin. I used to use cereal boxes to paint.

I've been experimenting with my watercolor pencils. Here's one.

1.5 inch square

It's dedicated to Park Yong Ha and I was listening to this song Let Me Be The One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBpBcFFni9k) while drawing it.

"Mourning"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2010/86669-circle1.jpg

azulparsnip
07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
ummm, it's quiet in here......hope everyone is painting or drawing.....

Sandra - that is very interesting.....tactile, fleshy, ...kinda like an oyster. I haven't tried letting my emotions out thru art......I bet it is interesting sometimes.

I've been studying turtles and newt

oh and JOY - the zebra G nib, holder and manga ink came !!!! I hope to give it a whirl tonight

azulparsnip
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
hello again - just thought I'd say - I'm going thru a phase where everything I do looks like it sucks and then the next day it looks okay......strange days have found me.

azulparsnip
07-16-2010, 07:58 AM
today I'm preparing for a henna table at the local morning flea market. Poster, design selection sheets. This will be a big first for me. This area is so unknowledgeble about the "outside" world.....I don't expect many folk to even know what henna is.....but it is a start.

gakinme
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Excellent studies of turtles and newt, Robin. They have such fine details and the newt looks a bit dazzled by some onlookers.

So you are going to do henna for others? Like you are going to draw on them?

Do let us know how you like your G nib!!!

I'm back to being happy again after I lost one of my idols to suicide. I'm now working on my love birds sketches again.:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2010/86669-jamjuni56.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/86669-jamjuni_57.jpg

azulparsnip
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
here are couple photos from the trade lot henna experience. It was quite positive.....didn't net alot of money but there is more going on than money.
I rigged up a large box and posted some of my art on it.... Obviously I need to work on my "booth" . One thing that surprised me was of the 7 customers 4 were male!
Things were slow until Rose offered to be a model. Here are her feet.

gakinme
07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Robin, did you sell any of your artwork. So the guys sat there while you henna tattoo them? Did the guys ask for specific type of hennas?

G-nib with Kuretake waterproof ink
General's 2B woodless pencil
Scrap book

The mean colony - capybara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2010/86669-gnib_capybara.jpg

artbyjune
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Robin- those henna tatoos are very attractive!! Good to see everyone so busy with their art practice. My idea of a good time would be to take my paints and go somewhere scenic to sketch. Maybe I wll get around to it this summer. There is a place about an hour in the bus from me where lots of artists go to set up easels and paint...so I wouldn't look out of place. I am so lazy, I need to plan ahead to do it!

I have been getting into my writing again slowly...just tidying up some old stories of mines to get back in the mood before I launch out on new work.

Other than that I join in the WDE when I can...and did the three bears this weekend.

I forget where I am with the projects. Have done them all?? I'd better check them out!!

trafford
07-20-2010, 07:43 AM
June I'm also playing catch-up with the projects I haven't done yet. There's Bougeureau and the Bee's Knees. Must do a few insects before the end of the month, since this was one of my favorite threads.

Love is always beautiful Sandra. :) I had to look up your copybaras...had never jeard of them before. Great group of guys.

Had to look up Henna painting, also. Pretty good looking designed feet, Rose.
Just did a cave painting for Other than Western Cultures, that originally was done with henna.

Robin, nice to see some turtles...I miss having them.... and the wonderful frog, that looks like he's doing a strip tease. :lol:

Here is a contour drawing of moi. These are fun to do...following the outlines of object without looking at the paper.

Is everybody having a heat wave? I'm either a pool of sweat or freezing from the a/c. Keep doing ART...:heart: :heart:

azulparsnip
07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
HI all - been spending spare time at the annual film festival the last 4 nights so have gotten a bit out of touch.
Sandra - those looks like some mean critters. The guys were very specific about what they wanted...one guy was thinking about getting apermant tattoo of barbed wire so I tried to do it in henna so he could wear it temporarily and see if he really wanted that. Another young man had a maltese cross with flames comming off the ends he drew on paper for me. And one man just wanted a heart and arrow on his bicep with his wife's name in it. I was surprised at the male response. I sure like that zebra g nib and manga ink. thanks for intro them

June - yes, I too am behind on the projects but am just gonna take it instride and if I don't gett'em all done that means I'm having a well rounded summer. Glad to hear you're getting into writting again.

Janet - what a graphic look you have there...looks like a Warhol piece - is that frottage for the background speckles?

Heatwave?? oh my heavens, yes. it was 100 yesterday and I'm sure it was that today also......... we are old school and use fans not airconditioning but tommorrow I must go in to work and when I get off at 1:30 i'll have to reaclimate in the hotest part of the day. I hate that. I hope I don't get a headache. I hate being all shut up....I would rather be a little hot with fresh air and hearing the whiring of the crickets at night.

well I was thinking about doing a Bougoureau tonight but i've messed around on the computer.

Have a good day tommorrow - do a little art....I'll do a little too......

azulparsnip
07-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Sandra - no, I didn't sell any art but it felt really good to put it out. It was in celo pages. I need to find a way to display bigger pieces. I was asking $1.00 - 2.00 for most of the prints....some are just on newsprint - besides most of the people at that flea mkt are poor .....People looked at it though. I can't wait to get a little better and the chinese classical stuff and put some of that out.

azulparsnip
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I went thru my art project folders last night and got things straightened out and simplified.....feels good....saw some things that still even after 9 months peak interest toward a print or painting.

Also I am trying to sketch / draw from imagination or photo even if it is just a 10 minute sketch every day......so far so good (2 days)....like when I setteled in to read I made myself first grab the sketchbook/journal a fist of markers doodled some....it felt real good....and what I got down has potential - wonder how long I can keep this up......