PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for July 2010

Dougwas
07-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug

Dougwas
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
My goals for July 2010:

1) I will paint two paintings while participating in The Spotlight.
2) I will paint two other pastel paintings.
3) I will make weekly posts of pen and wash sketches in the Art Journal thread.
4) I will paint a minimum of 15 trees sketches and post them in the Pastel Sketch thread.

Of course I have an excuse already.:wink2: Tomorrow, my wife and I have to take off for a couple of days. We should be back by Sunday evening, so hopefully I can get started on Monday. I will have internet access, so I will be checking in to see how everyone is doing. Looking forward to The Spotlight again this month. I wonder if there will be any tree frogs in those trees?:rolleyes:

Doug

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Doug, these are great. I'm looking forward to your pen and wash sketches as well as your pastels for the Spotlight and in general.

I think those references were from the RIL so maybe we can still do the frog this month. I wanted to but didn't manage in time.

Here's my July goals:

1) I will save $65
2) I will do Sketches & Studies daily, at least one cat gesture or doodle.
3) I will participate in the Spotlight (and maybe other challenges)
4) I will write an article every week for my oil pastels site or art supply reviews site -- I've been slacking off on those and that's not right. People like those sites and deserve to get updates more often.

So that's this month's goals. I left off the physical sorting and cleaning up stuff because that's gone to an As Can sort of thing. I need to do it but I'll have to just seize the moment when I feel up to it.

Piper Ballou
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi,
My name is Piper, I was very active WC member for a long time but dropped out about two or three years ago, also have not painted in that time. Well, it is time to get started again so here I am.

Goals for July:

1. paint everyday (easel is set up)
2. don't be afraid to paint- just do it
3. post here everyday to show my commitment to the return of painting
4. have fun

Last month I lurked at the pastel spotlight, I drew out the plate with lemons or limes on it, that will be my first......

It feels good to be back
piper

CM Neidhofer
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Piper! Great to see you again!! Welcome back! :wave:

Dougwas
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Robert- Good idea to leave the cleaning up off the goal list. You want to use the better days to paint. That's what counts. You have some very good goals that should keep you busy. I hope to see you over in the Art Journal thread this month (he says while kicking himself in the butt).

Piper- :wave: Hello, stranger! Welcome back! It is great to see you here again. Glad to see you are going to pick the sticks back up. You can do it. Just like riding a bike. Let the dust fly!:clap:

For those of you who don't know Piper, she used to host this thread. She helped me by urging me on when I first joined WC over three years ago. I hope you will all join me in welcoming her back and encouraging her in her return to painting. Welcome back, Piper.

Doug

Piper Ballou
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Christy and Doug..........feels like I am home already.

Ruthie57
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
good goals already everyone!
Welcome back Piper! We haven't "met" before but I think we'll soon get to know each other.
My goals for this Month -
1. I will do at least 3 spotlight paintings.
2. I will do another cityscape (better this time) for the PGE Get Dusty challenge.
3. I will clean my studio....properly!
4. I will finish the swan painting I'm currently doing.
5. I will finish another painting of 2 blackbirds whch I have neglected for too long as there are only leaves to do and I don't like doing them!

I MAY have to drop one or more of those goals as my Mum is demanding an awful lot of my time at the mo. Not her fault, she's 90 and is not well.....doesn't stop her being contrary though! LOL

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Piper, welcome back. Good goals, you're going to be busy for a while I think.

Anyone for a laugh? After I decided "clear off my table" was no longer a goal, I got it done. At least cleared off. My bed is full of stuff I've got to put away that I cleared off the table, but the table's rearranged in the way I wanted to do it last month. I've got an easier reach for my keyboard now, it's right in front of me instead of off to the side. Plus some tools are much easier to grab.

Now of course the big question is where everything's going to go, of course.

And yes, Doug, I'll definitely be posting a lot in the Art Journals thread. For one thing, I've ordered another watercolor journal from Blick that I'm going to prime with Colourfix to make a pastels journal. I'll just use different colors on different pages and see how it comes out, but that'll get me pasteling more often as well as posting in Art Journals.

Ruthie, those are great goals! I like your swan painting and I'm looking forward to your blackbirds one. Maybe if you're not interested in doing the leaves you can handle them more loosely and keep the focus on the birds.

I also finished an oil pastels painting that I started way back last year or the year before, turned it up while cleaning up and decided to finish. I didn't have that far to go but it was a good feeling to complete it and post it.

Colorix
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Piper, nice to meet you, I've seen you when digging into old posts. Great goals. This Goalie Gang is great for cheering you on, finding really good excuses, and generally being good friends. Thanks for telling about your work in June Spotlight, looking forward to see the limes/plate.

Doug, thank you for being our intrepid leader this month too! Very good goals.

Ruthie, great goals. Love that 'properly', can relate totally.

Rob, good solid goals! You'll get there with your monthly 65$.

My goals will be simple, I need a break:

1) Go plein air as much as I can. Even 30 minute stage one and two will be awsome. (First, I'll use my old PA gear, see next goal.)

2) Design my PA kit. Finish building it. The design is progressing, I've got most materials I need. My objective is as lightweight as possible, and as versatile as possible.

3) I will paint at least one fully finished painting/week.

4) Depending on weather (sun = PA, cloud = building and studio painting), I will paint 3 Spotlights, they count as goal 3, too.

5) I will update my website, preferably order business cards too.

6) I will get those pastel goodies I've postponed for months.

Flexible goals, I *really* need a vacation. (Painting is vacation.)

Charlie

RO'M
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM
greetings, i started this post and accidently deleted it -so here goes again. only shorter. Everyone seems to have pretty ambitious goals...hmmm....

my goals for the next two weeks- do at least one pastel sketch weekly; do a small pen and ink drawing Daily [yikes-that word- 'daily'- not so sure about that!]. After that, i will be taking a cycling/camping trip to Prince Edward Island, if all goes well...so i'll have to think about goals for that.

Piper, nice to meet you!

looking forward to a fun month!

ArbySD
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Everyone's off to a great start. I must admit that I forgot that I posted to the June goal post. :eek: I'll try to do better this time.

1) I will finish the last two ATC primary colors paintings and mail them off.
2) I will complete two or more paintings for the spotlight.
3) To help with learning to draw/paint trees, I will sketch them on my lunch hour. I'll be totally immersed in trees!
4) I will complete three other paintings this month (that aren't trees!) :lol:

Mary Y
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Doug,
Thank you once again for starting this month's thread.
Good luck with your goals--15 tree sketches I am looking forward to that.

Piper,Nice to meet you.Keep your 4th goal in mind and the rest will follow.

Robert, Great goals. Funny how things get done once the pressure has gone.
Do you need to put something between the pastel journal pages of will you fix them?

Charlie,Enjoy your "vacation" you deserve one after such a full on Spotlight.
Good luck with your PA box.

Ruthie,Rachel and Robin Good luck with your goals (Couldn't resist the three Rs)

Ruthie hope you find time to paint while looking after your Mother.

I had a list of goals but I think I may leave them for next month and try and learn as much as possible about trees.
So--
Keep up with posting on any thread I am interested in.
Continue a daily sketchbook habit.
Try and do all the tree references in the Spotlight this month and post at least two .
Do at least one WDE this month and clearly state what medium it is.( I caused some confusion the week before last)

Dougwas
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Ruthie- It sounds like another green month. Bring on the landscapes! I am sure you will do fine with your goals, Ruthie. Good luck with your Mum.

Charlie- You deserve a rest, Charlie. You have had a few busy months and now it's time to do what you want to do. Paint. Paint away my friend. I am already looking forward to seeing your colourful paintings. You always give this colour geek a fix.:D

Rachel- "Daily" is a good goal to make doing art a habit. Have fun in PEI. You will come home with some beautiful photos for future landscape references. I have never been to the east coast, but I do know it is a beautiful part of the world. Have fun and be safe.

Robin- A tree a day. Sounds like a great idea. You will learn so much and have more confidence painting landscapes. Good luck and we will see you over in The Spotlight.

Mary- Painting all the references in The Spotlight, is quite a challenge. You will know trees inside and out. Doing a WDE is always a fun experience. I keep forgetting about them. Good luck and we will see you in The Spotlight.

To everyone who thanked me for hosting this thread, you are welcome. I enjoy doing it. Because of this thread, I know people from all over the globe. I am so happy I learned enough about computers, so I can participate in and learn from the best website in the world. I didn't want to be that old fart, just sitting infront of the tv, while life was passing him by. Anyway, thanks to all of you for joining in and making this thread a success.

Happy painting and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Doug

Judibelle
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Everyone...and a hearty hello and welcome back to you, Piper.
i havent forgotten, just havent established any goals yet....still thinking about them.
I know I will be doing 'trees'! (Need lots of practice with that one!) So will be doing at least one Spotlight.
I will add goals as they come to mind...
Meanwhile....Happy Painiting, Everyone!
Judi

chuas2
07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Great goals everyone, you've inspired me (I wasn't going to have any this month since I failed miserably last month).

First of all, welcome back Piper! I'm a relative WC newbie but have made myself pretty regularly annoying here in the Pastel Forum.

Ok, Paula put her foot down on the bonsai (so to speak) so I'll be doing a full sized tree; at least one and we'll see how that goes.

Continuing to complete drawings for Dianna's workshop at the end of the month, so I am getting the drawing practice (they're on vellum to transfer, so I'm not posting them).

My almost ten year old goldfish died yesterday, which is really sad, but it leaves me with a little more room to set up still lifes, so reorganizing my workspace is a goal.

July is a heavy work month for me, so just trying to keep something in process on my easel is my biggest goal!
Chuas

Mary Y
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Chuas, Sorry to hear you lost your goldfish. I kept tropical fish and had one large one for around six years.It is really sad when they die, you did well to keep him that long.

robertsloan2
07-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Judi, glad to see you'll be doing the Spotlight. Your pastels rock.

Charlie, your goals look good. Finished painting a week and plein air, wow, going to be some treats for my eyes coming out of this month. Go ahead and get your goodies. You deserve them, of all the goals to procrastinate on, that must have taken serious self denial!

Well, I blew my first goal big time. I owe $23 into my savings, did not meet the goal. Oh well. Part of the problem was my earphones failing, so I needed a new set and ordered cheap $4.95 ones from Amazon. The rest though, was doing two orders instead of one.

I needed some things from Blick and did a small order there, but I also placed a phone order with Daniel Smith for some watercolors in order to get the free colors "Watercolor Passport" plan. Turned out there were more bargains than I thought and I stacked up the order bigger than planned. I should have left off the triad and didn't, that's actually what pushed over budget.

Oh well, live and learn. At least there's some savings and I'm not that far behind. More just got an IOU to self that may wind up on next month's goals. It helps that I'm borrowing money from me instead of having to ask other people though! I can be patient with me, I know I'm good for it, no embarrassment there.

But I should actually write up the IOU on paper and stick it somewhere I won't forget it. Or better still, put it into that reminder file I keep open on my desktop.

Colorix
07-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Chuas, sorry to hear about your goldfish. Oh, last month no longer exists, and there is no such thing as failing with goals. If they are important goals, you just push the deadline in front of you. Other committments may have a higher priority, which delays the reaching of a goal. No big deal at all! Move the goals to this month, or to September for that matter. And, this way you discover what is a true goal, and what is a general desire.
Cute with the bonsai. :-) I'm thinking a large tree or a bonsai doesn't make any difference, as bonsais are supposed to look like a big tree in all aspects (not that they do, but they're supposed to).

Robert, you may be right, as I think/believe the only reason I've not gotten pastel supplies is other priorities being more important. I'd need a day to go through what I have and what I need -- that's the serious stumbling block. (And, I have too many sticks already... :-) But I think I've identified a 'hole' in blues. Pale blues, deep blues, but too few mid and mid-light blues. A place to start!

Charlie

Piper Ballou
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I am just checking in so I do not fade into the background.

I have started a painting, and realize I that, although it is like riding a bike it will come back to me, I have to be patient.
Piper

Dougwas
07-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Judi- Trees, trees and more trees. The more you do the better you will get. You will nail them this month. I just know it. You can do it.

Chuas- Too bad about your goldfish. So now you can organize your work space and keep painting. Good goals, especially the 'keep something in progress.' Keep it in view so it is always in mind.

Robert- That is not a blown goal. It's more art supplies. How can that be bad?:evil: :D Enjoy your new toys. (I know you will)

Charlie- We have something in common. I have noticed I need some blues too. I thought I had lots, but now I know different. They will have to do for now, because I won't be ordering anything for a while. Just have to use my imagination I guess.:eek:

Piper- Good to hear you are painting. It will come to you. You just have to get the rust off. You can do it.

Just got back from an eleven hour drive, so I am bagged. I hope to be able to do some painting in the next day or two and get started on my goals. I might just have to sit back in my recliner and do some art magazine reading. I got a whole bunch of PJ, Watercolor Magic and Artist's Sketchbook on cds, so I can read them on my laptop.

I hope you are all letting the dust fly.

Doug

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Doug, you're right. I've got the IOU on the side and as long as next month's order is a smallish one, I'm still good. I'm definitely looking forward to my new supplies, they're going to be a lot of fun!

terri66
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi all, July is going to be a pretty slow month for me pastel wise. If I get one pastel done this month, it will be a bonus. Definitely going to use my oils as I am in a portrait workshop with Tim Okamura which is very exciting in my books. Might get some work done on the mural for the museum but that is oil and acrylic. Definitely will be lurking but not expecting to get into the chatter as I will too far behind the eight ball as I do already. Everyone's goals look good for the summer level. Take care all and have fun getting dusty.

Dougwas
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Terri- Pop in when ever you get the chance and let us know how things are going. I think we all like to hear about workshop experiences. I hope everything goes well for you.

Wow, a week into the month already. Where does the time go? Well, the only goal I have anything to report on is the tree sketching. I have four done so far, so that leaves (pun intended:rolleyes: ) eleven to go. I think i will start a Spotlight painting today.

We are into a heatwave here. It seems to be hitting all of BC. I know 32C (about 90F) doesn't sound hot to some of you, but for this part of the world it is HOT. The weather report says it is going to last through the weekend. :eek:

I hope everyone is having a good week.

Doug

RO'M
07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Just checking in...you are right Doug. the first week of July is about over! We, too, are in a heat wave-whew! it's hot!

I have not quite been 'daily' with pen and ink, but have done 4, and kept 2-so not bad. Also did one pastel sketch, and i'm working on a linocut, which wasn't a goal, but just happened along...I'd like to do it in several colors, but it's boggling my mind, so might just do black and white.

Hope everyone stays cool and productive!

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Doug, you're doing great. I saw your Spotlight painting and liked it.

Rachel, excellent. Plenty of variety in mediums there.

I've been keeping up on daily art, at least sketching. Been doing a lot of pen and watercolor stuff since my new watercolors came in. Fell behind on the articles, but maybe if I do two this week I'll be caught up.

Dougwas
07-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Rachel- I know what you mean about thinking of things and having your mind boggled. I am glad I am not the only one. How do I do this? How do I do that? Do I know what I am doing? Ain't art fun?:evil: Hope you are surviving the heat. We are back to normal. The hot weather didn't last as long as we thought.

Robert- Good to hear you are still doing your pen and watercolour. Doing art daily sounds like more fun that writing articles. Using new art supplies is always fun. Keep at it.

I started another spotlight painting today. I started two, but the first one just wasn't doing anything for me. The other one is looking better to me, so I hope to finish it off by tomorrow.

I think the watercolur goals are going to be put on hold. I just want to painr with my pastels any chance I can. The water colour paints will be there when the urge hits.

Doug

Mary Y
07-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi everyone,
A third through the month and my goals are not happening.
Terri, Enjoy your oil portrait workshop.
Robert, I enjoyed your Rhino on the WDE. Hope you are feeling better .
Doug, Your trees in the pastel sketch thread are great my favorite was the spruce tree.I also thought you did very well with the one you did in the spotlight. I have had several attempts at that picture and the only thing growing is my pile of recycled colourfix paper.
Ruthie, I loved your tree paintings in the Spotlight.

I have succeeded in keeping up my daily sketchbook.
I tried two of the spotlight paintings and discovered I know very little about painting trees so I am really looking forward to Paula's demo.
Hi Rachel, Piper, Charlie ,Judi, Chuas,Robin, Christine hope I didn't forget anyone.
Mary

Judibelle
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Mary....LOL neither are mine! Fortunately, I didnt have enough to worry about..Sounds like most everyone is having a slow month...
.but there's still some time left.

doug...your trees are coming along nicely...I've kinda petered out...
rachel...I'm in MA...and we're in that same ol' heatwave!
robert...miss seeing your pastels...I sometimes forget to check the other forums where you post. but glad you are enjoying the pen and watercolor sketches. thet really look great!
Terri....glad you stopped in....been missing you.

anybody heard from Elsie????

Our Art League sponsors 2 annual summer shows...one juried, and one for members only. Yesterday I submitted 2 for the juried show. I'll know by Wed if I was accepted or not. We are allowed to sumit 2, and mine were #99 and #100. and there were 75 more after me!
I have a feeling mine will be returned....there were some outstanding-looking ones to compete with...and they only hang 100....
Oh well...I know at least one will be accepted into the Members show (that's the rule!)

meanwhile, it's really been too hot to think about anything except staying as cool as possible. My daughters and kids are at the lake, so that's where I spend a good bit of time...
But I did do the one spotlight tree....may get to do another...we'll see...
Anyway, wishing everyone a productive rest-of-the-month...
Judi

Colorix
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Judi, good luck, hope you do get into the show.

I'm with Judi re heat, I'm trying to survive the unusual heatwave we have here, it is rare that we get into the 90s for more than one day. It's been a week... And Swedes Do Not Have Airconditioning -- we usually work hard to keep our homes *warm*.

I've made the boring inventory of my pastel palette, the box I'm working with. Too many nubbins, and too many missing colours. Updated it, moved nubbins to the "crush and make new pastels of confetti type" pile, put in new fresh thirds of sticks, wrote down the number of those I took the last bit from. Now I need to check if I have the same-enough colour in another brand, and use that up if it exists. Then, I need to buy replacements.

In the process I discovered that AS Flinder's Red-violet isn't lightfast. Sigh, another lovely red-violet taken out from the palette entirely. It changed into a warm rosy colour, from the beautiful cool violet-pink.

A really gorgeous AS colour is Jacquaranda (lightfast). A very violet blue that still is more blue.

And, I've painted one painting, and one Plein Air stage 2 (got cloudy, between one glance at the scene and the next glance).

Otherwise, wilting in the heat.

Charlie

Ruthie57
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one not doing very well with my goals!
I've done 2 of the proposed 3 for the Spotlight and I finished the swan I was working on. As for a proper clean of the studio...well, up to today it's been too hot, not quite your 35c Charlie but 32c and humid. Today it's rained all day. Ah, precious rain for my garden!
I digress. I may have to nudge some goals on to next month. This Month is turning out full of complications.

Elcoll
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi to everyone,

This is my first time here....I'm excited about posting some goals because once I read them here, I'll be more inclined to actually do them...well, that's my hope. So here goes:

my goals for July are:
1. to paint at least 3 spotlight paintings
2. finish my Abstract Artists cards posted in another forum (BTW, abstract is a foreign style to me...but this is the month I begin to stretch myself)
3. I will make an effort to begin and stick with an art journal...
4. I will participate in other forums here
5. and, finally, I will organize my studio.

Well, they say that a habit can be formed after two weeks of actively doing something....I'm about to test that theory, I guess.

Linda

Dougwas
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Linda- Welcome to our dusty little corner of WC. We are always happy to have new faces join us. You have taken the first step to succeeding by posting your goals. You have some good goals and I am sure you will do fine. That last goal of yours is always the least fun, but does it ever feel good when you get your studio organized. Good luck and pop in here any time and join in the chat.

Mary- Paula has done a demo before. I know, because I followed it step by step and at the end I had TREES!!!!:D I think it took about three hours, but I followed every step very closely. Up until that time, I couldn't paint a tree to save my life. I'll try to find it and post the link here. It has about 24 steps and is the best tree demo I have ever seen.

Judi- Good luck with the show. You never know until you try. Dip your toes into the lake and try to keep cool. If I could, I would send you some of our weather. It has cooled down plenty here and I am quite happy about it. Take care.

Charlie- Good luck with keeping cool. Thanks for the heads up on the AS Flanders Red-violet. I love the Jacquaranda as well. To me, I think AS pastels are very under rated. I like the ones I have and use them quite often. I hope the weather improves and you can get some good painting sessions.

Ruthie- You are doing a good job on your goals. The studio can wait for you to clean it. It is never a fun task, and when it is hot, it is less fun. Stay cool.

I didn't get any painting done today. Had too many errands to run, but it should be clear sailing tomorrow. I have been watching videos the past few days on ArtistNetwortTV and I hope to try some new things. I am also treating myself to the 120 half stick Unison set. I have a few Unison sticks, so I know I will like them. Now I will be watching the mail every day. Hehe, a kid at Christmas.:D

Doug

Elcoll
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome...

Here on Long Island, we're having a heat wave too! 100+ last week with lots and lots of humidity...not good for pastels or w/c paper. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

A couple of years ago I bought a set of 72 Unisons and I love them just as much as my Great Americans, so I understand the anticipation of getting the delivery....enjoy them!

Linda

Colorix
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi Linda, welcome to the Goalie Gang! Great goals, you'll get them done, as you'll "answer to" us! :-) (Kidding.) Seriously, it helps having other people know, but the one that really needs to know is you yourself, of course. We'll cheer you on, and if you don't meet all goals, we'll help you find great reasons as to why it doesn't count. :-)

Doug, oooo you're getting goodies! The Unisons are wonderful, not too hard, nor too soft. They lack the really cool bright pinks (those one can't use anyway as they fade...). I like AS, the colours are more intense than Rembs. The Flinders Red Violet faded considerably, more than I could stomach. It faded in the darkest room of the house, sitting in one of those things one uses for organizing all the nails, screws, bolts, that kind of small stuff that end up in the bottom of the toolbox. It has little plastic drawers, so the only light my sticks get is what gets into the darkest corner of the room and manages to penetrate the short-end 'front' of the semi-transparent plastic drawer. *Way* less photons than a painting on the wall gets. The other colours were fine.

Ruthie, 39,2 C today... It'll break tonight.

Charlie

robertsloan2
07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Linda, welcome to the Goalies! You have some great goals. I hang out in the Art Journals forum a lot too, especially lately with my pen and watercolor stuff. I found posting there daily helps me maintain mine, though I didn't post yesterday's since I didn't fill the page. I did get one sketch on it but I'd like to have more on that page when I post it.

Doug, that is so fantastic! I want that set too. I put it off because I'd also like to live in San Francisco one day, so I can't really do it till September. Might have done it next month but I've been struggling with the savings plan and Deborah Secor's selling me her easel, so I've got something to look forward to as well. I'd love to see your photos of the big half stick set and what you do with yours.

Charlie, thanks for the warning about Flinders Red Violet. Your heat wave is startling, that's like getting snow in New Orleans or something. No wonder no one has air conditioning. Glad it'll break tonight and get back to good summer weather, sending you outdoors to paint. Congrats on getting your pastels inventoried!

Ruthie, you're doing good. There's still more than half the month left.

Mary, thanks. Yay for your daily sketchbook and Spotlight paintings!

Judi, congratulations on the show and the Spotlight painting! I saw it, that really rocks. I lost my comment on the Spotlight last night so I'll be going over to post again and comment on all the new ones that appeared after I last posted. I saw them all but went offline several times.

I've still been sick, it turned into a thunderstorm weekend and is still soggy and painful out. Yesterday I only managed one quick two minute cat profile sketch and didn't even post it, will include it with today's and post. I kept up the daily art, that's the only goal I'm having any progress with.

I also marked off the first page of my new pastel journal, a 10" x 7" Canson Montval watercolor journal with 140lb paper. I'm making the painting areas 6" x 8" and when I get a good physical day will cut the pieces of glassine for taping over them. I am not sure if I want to prime all the pages or prime them as I do them (doing several before going out plein air if I get so lucky as to go out plein air this summer), currently I'm leaning toward priming as I go. That would let me underpaint in watercolor. It's a good portable size though.

So I guess that's progress toward doing a Spotlight painting. Especially if I do an underpainting on one of these bad days. Today isn't quite as bad as yesterday or the day before.

I've had a few where I was completely blotto just zoning out watching Netflix and managing maybe an hour of pen/watercolor stuff. Part of why I'm doing that so much is that pastels take a little more setup and cleanup, while the pen/watercolor ones get done in several physical-easy stages -- sketch, then pen, then paint, all of which may happen with hours in between.

I seem to recall having more good days last summer, that may be a difference in the weather this year.

robertsloan2
07-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Did it. My pastel journal's first page is primed, its second coat is drying. I used Raw Sienna, a butterscotch pudding color so that when I go over it with all those greens it gives a warm golden glow.

Dougwas
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Way to go, Robert. That pastel journal is a great idea. I haven't tried the AS clear Colourfix primer that I got last month, but that sounds very tempting. When those Unisons show up, I promise to post a photo.

I can tick off a goal. My second Spotlight painting was posted today. I also just started another landscape, using a watercolour under painting. I watched a McKinley video the other evening, Bold Underpaintings. If anything, you can sure tell he has a passion for painting.

Happy painting.

Doug

Judibelle
07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I really must have a go at 'fixing' my sketchbook...Robert...sounds like an interesting color for your background!
Doug...Good for you! And your 2nd looks great!

Well, I did not get either one into the juried show....but I'm not surprised...there was really some outstanding work there.
Meanwhile, I'll keep 'plugging away' with trees 'n' things....
Judi

Colorix
07-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Judi, next time, there is always a next time.

Doug, good 'tick'.

Robert, industrious as ever.

Me, well, realizing the 'break' in weather lasted only a few hours, now we're nearly back to high temps again. Yesterday was too hot, so today I'm huddling indoors, catching up on things, resting, watching art videos. I don't have the energy to even go to a beach, although it is cooler there (in shadow). Thing is, a billion other people will be at the same spot.

Charlie

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Yay for relaxing and catching up on art videos. They're so inspiring. I agree, it could be annoying going to a beach if there's that many other people out at the same time. Crowds aren't that relaxing.

Tonight I unexpectedly accomplished a long term goal that wasn't on my list because it's so back burner. I had a major breakthrough on doing extinct animals thanks to Deb Secor's latest chapter in her pastels book. (http://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/2010/07/chapter-twenty-three-free-yourself-from.html)

I finally sketched a prehistoric animal in action. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8887505&postcount=41) It's a combination of memory from several prehistoric documentaries (with good reconstructions), illustrations I've seen, skeletons I've seen... and my sketches from the charging rhino reference in the current WDE. I can't believe I did that. It's just a pen sketch, but it worked.

It worked so well I know I could work from it to do a good painting of the animal. Though I'd need to do a lot of looking-up to get the scenery right -- the plants, the climate, the light on it all accurate. Anything with prehistoric animals accuracy really matters, unless I stuck it in a parking lot getting ready to ram someone's car like an old horror movie thing.

I just added it to my goals retroactively, since this has been a back burner long term goal for decades. Well, most of my life really.

July Goals:
1) Save $65
2) Sketches & Studies Daily
3) Spotlight
4) Write an article a week
5. A prehistoric animal in action.

Colorix
07-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Robert, yay for the breakthrough!

Me, I'm working a lot, but luckily I can choose my hours.

Charlie

Dougwas
07-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Judi- Tough luck on the show. There will be other shows. Keep at it Judi, you are doing great.

Robert- I can't draw or paint anything from imagination. Good for you on your breakthrough. Isn't it funny how you can be working on one thing and them click, the light bulb turns on. You have been sketching daily, which means you have been doing art daily. You can't beat that. I hope you are feeling better for the second half of the month.

Charlie- I hope you haven't melted away. We are now having lower temps than normal. It's going to be about 21C today and the long range forecast is about the same. Perfect. By working, I hope you mean painting. I will be watching for your paintings in the Gallery. Stay cool.

Here we are, half way through the month. I swear the older I get, the faster time goes by. Since my wife and I got back from our little trip, I have been painting almost every day, so I can't complain. I have painted 5 tree studies, 2 Spotlight paintings and 1 painting posted in the Gallery. I have another painting in progress right now, so I think my month has been going good so far.

Hey, has anybody heard from Elsie? She hasn't been here for quite a while. I hope she is okay.

Doug

Elcoll
07-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Uh-oh, it's halfway through July and all I've done with my pastels is sort them ....again! At least I realized I don't have quite enough saturated reds (I seem to use them up quickly). I did organize my studio but I'm still looking for that "magic pill" to make my studio miraculously be all I want it to be.

I've been painting the spotlight paintings....but only in my mind...LOL, tomorrow is the day.

But I have been particpating in other forums here, so that's something, I guess.

Judibelle
07-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey Doug...I've been wondering about Elsie also...hope everything is ok with her and her hubby...
Elcoll...well, sorting is good. I need to do mine again....they are all in a mess again...

i attended the opening of the Art Legue Show, which was a really nice show.......and then left to attend a pastel workshop sponsored by our local Cultural Council. Quite an interesting topic....Van Gogh and his style. He spoke at lenath about the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist era....then he demonstrated one of VG's famous paintings, and had us recreate it (in our own style, but using the tips of the pastels, for lines....no blending!) Interesting style...lots of energy.
I may try using that style more often...
I've decided I really am a bit tired of doing landscapes...and after seeing those in the Show...realize how similiar so many of them are...
So gotta get into something else...hmmm...
Hoping everyone is have fun and getting dusty...
Judi

Dougwas
07-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Linda- Well, at least your pastels are now nice and neat, and you have been thinking of painting. Hey, every journey starts with one step. Looking forward to your Spotlight painting. You can do it!:thumbsup:

Judi- Sounds like an interesting workshop. It is always nice to see other styles and uses of the medium. And I understand what you mean about landscapes. Sometimes a change is a good thing. Paint what you feel like painting, Judi. Remember to have fun.:)

I got another landscape finished today. I feel it is coming. I'm not there yet, but I am closer than ever before. I will be starting another one tomorrow. This has been the busiest month I have had in pastels since..... well I can't even remember ever getting this much done. Feels good.

Doug

robertsloan2
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a fun show, Judi. I can understand getting tired of a subject. I've run into that sometimes too, especially with some of the items that come up for the Scavenger Hunt.

I'm not that into doing household stuff like ice trays, shoes or appliances. It doesn't move me. I can get it perfect and it still annoys me.

Doug, you're the one who's going like blazes! Congratulations! So glad you're pasteling so much.

I missed a day yesterday for daily art. I was offline for most of the day, late in the evening I got some spotty access and posted several times. But most of the day I was just playing Diablo waiting for my access to come back up. Makes me realize how motivating getting to post what I did is -- art is very social for me!

But today went better. I got started on my Spotlight painting. Chose one of Charlie's photos and did a notan, then got in stage one and two and part of the way into stage three before remembering to scan. It's in progress and you can tell what it is, so I'm going good and getting dusty. Might have to finish up tomorrow though because the pain's rising and it's not pill time.

robertsloan2
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Did it! Today I finished my Spotlight painting with enough month left I might manage two of them. Plus found a piece of glassine from the packaging of Orangerie and cut two pieces for my pastel journal, which beats not finding any. I still haven't found the big pieces I bought from Blick but if I run out of that piece, I can always use tracing paper.

Dougwas
07-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Way to go, Robert. Now you can do another one. You can do it. Just get Ari to lend you a paw.:cat:

Doug

Colorix
07-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Judi, van Gogh sounds fun, but I can understand you about landscapes. I think there are only a maximum of 20 scenes that get painted over and over. :-) Evrybody learns the same rules of composition, too, so they definitely all look alike.

Robert, the spotlight painting turned out gorgeous! Posting is very motivating, painting is kind of solitary (when one has no pawed assistant), but sharing is social.

Doug, great going!

I'm on track with paintings, I think. We've entered the cloudy humid month (ca 20th July to 20th August), when food tend to get spoiled real quickly, too, as it is warm and humid. I might get some early morning PA done, but not within the next 10 days, according to the weather 'gods'.

PA, I had a good moment the other day. The result of one hour's work is halfway decent, for the first time! I suppressed the PA Panic (light moving too fast, sighing husband loosing patience too fast... (actually, he enjoyed it this time, just sit there and chat with me, lovely shade and breeze onna hot day)). Where was I? Suppressed PA Panic, followed the method by keeping strictly to the stages, painting foliage in bands instead of scattered dots and blobs, and it kind of worked! I even had time to do four notans, deciding my original view was boring, turned 90 degrees and found it, the nice and more interesting view.

No masterpiece, but I felt it is starting to work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/117343-paTullgarn-ref-and-painting.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/117343-pa-Tullgarn.jpg

About 45 minutes, in all.

Charlie

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes! It's definitely starting to work. Looser and less detailed than some of your PA ones, but very effective. What a wonderful experience!

Thanks for all your support. I still need to do some of the writing and I'm starting to think I should put "matting and framing" on my goals list again. I had a good day yesterday and in addition to pasteling, got my sketch wall taken down so that I can hang a framed painting that's been taking up space in my room on the floor for over a year (a lynx from John Houle that used to go in the living room).

I still have four or five small paintings that need matting and framing. They're stored carefully, but I need a good day to cut mats and then put them in the frames. Once framed I still need energy to stand up banging nails in the walls to hang them. So that's my next physical goal.

Also I'll need another archival storage box from Blick. I just filled up the second one when I took down the sketch wall stuff -- makes it clear to me that it was a really good idea switching to spiral bound sketchbooks and journals!

ElsieH
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
:wave:Hi, there Goalies!

Just checking in to let folks know that I do still exist and I do still own pastels!
:lol::wink2:

Actually, things are going well for us! As I told you many weeks ago in my last post, Bob's back surgery was a great success and his recovery has gone very well.
I did not get in with July goals as my June goals just carried over! :eek:
#1 was to survive the round of playing nurse and other family events!
I am glad to report that on is going fine!
I have been able to keep up with my drawing class and have done a couple of watercolor paintings. My precious pastels are not getting much use! I think they got tired of waiting and took off on a holiday some where else! :lol:
My interest in family history and history in general and calligraphy and geometry all come together in some work I have been able to do in Celtic designs. That has been something I could do in fits and starts as I have a minute between the other stuff.
Bob is doing so well that his doctor has given permission for us to go to Ohio next week for his Wilson family reunion! I'm taking my PA stuff (including pastels) along as it is in a state park and along a lake.
So......I'm hoping to be back in July with regular goals and to talk my pastels into joining me! LOL!

Keep the dust flying! See you soon!:wave::heart::cat:

Colorix
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Elsie, very good that the surgery went so well! Have fun at the reunion.

Charlie

Dougwas
07-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Elsie- Glad to hear everything is going well for you and Bob. Tell Bob to take things easy and don't over do anything. Tell him that's an order from some crazy Canadian who has a screwed up back.;) Have fun in Ohio and paint, paint, paint.

Charlie- Good to hear you are happy with your PA work. Confidence is a good friend when you have it and it sounds like you now have it. I know you can do it. We all know you can do it. You are a talented artist and you are proving it with every new painting. Keep at it.:thumbsup:

Robert- It sounds like you need a framer. :eek: I am glad you had a good day yesterday and hope you are having a better one today. Take it easy. One frame at a time.

Doug

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Elsie, I am so happy for you that Bob's recovering so well and you've survived playing nurse. Congratulations on keeping up with your drawing class and doing watercolors too. That's awesome you're getting into Celtic designs. I love doing them, they can be very relaxing -- and yep, very easy to work on a little at a time.

Your poor neglected pastels deserve this PA vacation! Be sure to bring them with and discover how much you learned when you thought you weren't working on it. That always happens to me if something keeps me away from drawing or painting for a while.

Doug, I bought a bunch of simple premade frames from Blick on Clearance. They have been sitting around in my room since January or even last December. I lucked on getting a lot of them in the color I liked best, they're just painted wood simple frames. But getting up to put nails in the wall and getting up to cut mats, getting out all the mat cutting stuff is what takes my having a really good day.

Today, I did one of the small paintings that needed framing. It was tricky because I had to cut some homemade spacers from archival foam core board, since I haven't put in an order at Econospace yet. But what I did worked and I got the little frame assembled correctly. At last, Paula Ford's little 5" x 7" landscape that I bought last year is hanging on my wall safe and framed instead of hiding inside the package safe and packed.

I got a little help from Kitten with putting nails in the wall. Cutting spacers and assembling a 5" x 7" frame with its picture hanger nailed on the back was sit down stuff, but she put several nails into the wall for me so that I could get up and move the pictures around. I switched where some of them are hanging and now have the teapot still life that I did in Charlie's class right next to the window, a good place for it. Also my portrait of Ari is over under it rather than over the dresser.

I have officially got no room for the sketch wall any more. My walls are full. An oil pastel painting that I stuffed into the other 5" x 7" frame had to go in the bathroom -- but it's on Ampersand board in cheap oil pastels and I'm a little less worried about steam damaging it when I shower. The pastel sketches that I hung on the inside of the bathroom door about a foot away from where it's hanging didn't get damaged, and they weren't framed. So I'm sure it'll be all right, it's not right by the shower.

So I'm adding those as late goals. I accomplished a lot -- and now had better sit still and putter with very small things or I really will throw my back. I'm very grateful to Kitten for putting those nails in or I'd have thrown it already but not be done with this batch.

I still have two more small paintings to frame and hang, but they need matting because they're pastels. So that'll wait for another good day. I think I did enough for now!

Getting half of them done feels like a major triumph.

July Goals:
1) Save $65
2) Sketches & Studies Daily -
3) Spotlight -
5. A prehistoric animal in action. -
6. Matting and Framing
7. Rearrange wall space.

robertsloan2
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Past goal revisited... today before the heat of the day really set in, I was up to attacking the closet. I got all the saved-up packing material out of the closet, got some big things stacked up onto the shelves out of the way, cleared the floor of the closet almost completely. I retrieved a small particle board bookcase and got it out of the closet. Put that next to the taboret, where I now have two shelves and the top that I can use to stack supplies and relieve the clutter on the shelves of the two big book cases.

I've still got a long way to go with that closet, but several of the bulkiest things are now completely out of the way. I'm very relieved. I also found my good fountain pen, though it's going to need soaking and cleaning it's so cool that I found it again. Had no idea where it was.

So putting that past goal onto current goals again since I did such a big chunk of it:

July Goals:
1) Save $65
2) Sketches & Studies Daily -
3) Spotlight -
5. A prehistoric animal in action. -
6. Matting and Framing
7. Rearrange wall space.
8. Sorting and reorganizing supplies.

Colorix
07-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Robert, good you found treasures!

Me, I'm going away for two weeks, I need the vacation very badly. I'm pretty exhausted after a rather intense year.

Charlie

robertsloan2
07-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Yay for your vacation! I hope it's completely relaxing and lots of fun. Going to do any PA while you're on vacation or just snap photos for later?

Also, do you like going somewhere on vacation or just relaxing and knocking off doing anything important, taking time off to catch up on good movies and laze around? Different people like different types of vacations.

Dougwas
07-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Charlie- Have a great vacation. Kick back and relax, and recharge your batteries. See you in two weeks.

Robert- Good to hear you had the energy to start cleaning out your closet. It's also good that you gave yourself some much needed shelf space with the bookcase. It's a start, Robert.

Here is a photo of my new toys. The Unisons arrived in the mail yesterday. I played with them for a few minutes and I love them already.:D I am hoping to use them today or tomorrow, but I am not sure if I will get any time to paint. We will see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2010/102199-DSCF2627.jpg

Doug

robertsloan2
07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Oh, they are wonderful! Thank you for posing the rulers next to them. That helps me a lot in deciding how to use them when I get mine - which isn't going to be till next spring, I think, but I can dream. The colors are so luscious! I hope you can make time to paint with them soon!

Mary Y
07-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Hi Doug,
Thanks for posting your beautiful new unison set. They look gorgeous.
Health to enjoy them.
I enjoyed you latest tree in the pastel sketch thread ,loose and treelike.
I think I am learning almost as much about computers as I do painting on WC.
Robert,
Good to hear you are feeling better and up to doing some more goals. I hope you have room on your wall for that lovely spotlight tree. I tried to copy it but sad to say mine did not look like yours.(How strange).
Charlie,
Enjoy your vacation. Your PA has gorgeous light in it --and only 45 minutes!
Elsie,
Glad to hear all is well with you. Enjoy your trip and reunion. I would love to see what you have done with your TL confetti pastels
sometime.
Judi,
I loved the colours in your Spotlight painting- really lovely.
Linda welcome and good luck with your goals.

So far this month,
I haven't really kept up as much as I would have liked with some posts.
Have kept up the sketch book habit to a degree, sometimes I just use it to jot down a few pointers I want to remember.
Posted on WDE once so far.I will not have time this weekend.
I have posted once on the Spotlight and hope to do one more. I have attempted all but one of the tree reference pictures with various results.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2010/100777-p2.JPG

Judibelle
07-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Mary...love the postings of your paintings...
Charlie...ENJOY your vacation...You sure deserve it!
Robert...glad you've been able to do a bit more....hope you continue to feel well...
Doug....am really enjoying seeing your progress with the trees! really nice. And happy for you with your new set of unisons! Have fun!
Elsie...so glad to hear all is well with you and Bob.

I have been in limbo again...my hubby is back in the hospital with some non-specific something going on....he's on an antibiotic now that seems to be helping whatever is wrong, as he looked better yesterday than he has in weeks....
Probably coming home tomorrow....but artplay has been put on the back burner for now...hope to start getting inspired again soon...I'm missing it, but no motivation.....sigh....
Judi

RO'M
07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm just catching up on everyone's posts- just got back from Prince Edward Island, and a very nice
camping vacation...so Charlie,if you are not gone yet, enjoy. Vacations are great!!:thumbsup: I can't remember every post so please forgive if i leave you out....

Judi, i hope all will be well with your husband soon....and you may be sick of landscapes, but i like yours- they are very serene and calming.

Doug, you do sound as though you have been productive! Such pretty colors you've gotten...i hope sometime to get some more pastels-the last few years i've just been buying one or two at a time- and they never seem to be the colors i really need!

Mary, your trees look great, tho the photo is small.

Robert, i cannot cut mats for the life of me!:( I buy precut mats in standard sizes, and then make my pictures to fit- then i buy cheap frames at the local job lot....otherwise i have to pay someone to cut mats and that is too$$$! So kudos to you for cutting mats yourself!!

Elsie, nice to know you are doing well.

Well, the month is going fast. I did keep a sketch journal and tried a few watercolors on vacation. Those were pitiful, but i did get a lot of practice drawing waves, waves and more waves. I guess i will save most of my goals now for next month, except for one- the artisans group i now belong to is having a show whose theme is 'blue'-i have to let them know by Friday if i will enter- i think i might-and i have to have something completed by Aug. 2-so the pressure is on!

I will try to catch up on Spotlight, Sketch Thread et al in the next couple of days. cheers to all-:heart:

Dougwas
07-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Mary- I just did a painting with those Unisons. I love them. Ya, I know. I'm spoiled. Thanks for the kind comments on my trees.

So, if you have attempted all the photos references in The Spotlight, that means you have six paintings done. They don't have to be posted. You painted them and that is what matters. You are painting. Your paintings look great in the photo. With all those paintings and sketching daily, I think you are having a fantastic month. And there is still a week to go.

Judi- Oh, I am having fun with my new toys. They are my new best friends. Thanks for the encouraging words on my trees.

I am sorry to hear that your husband is back in the hospital. I hope he continues on the road to recovery. Take care of yourself.

Rachel- There are some pretty colours in that box of pastels. One way I have built up my pastel collection is to buy half stick sets. It's a great way to try out the brand and build up your colours.

Did you have a good vacation? I bet you are good at doing waves now. Hey, waves are blue and you need something blue for your show. Do I see a wave painting in your near future?

With one more week left I got another Spotlight painting done, and other than the underpainting, I just used the Unisons. Boy they stick to the paper well. There was no pastel dust on my easel. I think I might do another Spotlight painting tomorrow. We will see.

Doug

robertsloan2
07-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Mary, the thumbnails of all your Spotlight paintings look so cool together. I'm glad you liked mine so much. I don't have space on the wall really, since I have two more paintings to frame and found a stack more in the closet that I hadn't put up because there wasn't room.

I still might rearrange things to make room for it, but right now it's in a safe place in my pastel journal with glassine taped over it. I still have two of Charlie's paintings in that condition too, so my room will be a lot brighter when I'm done with the Closet Project.

It'll help to get that shelving out of the closet where it's not useful into the room where I can actually use it to catch the overflow.

Judi, that sounds so rough. I'm glad the antibiotics are helping him. Given that, it's probably an infection of some kind. I can understand how that'd take the wind out of your sails. Maybe if you did some quick easy sketching and didn't expect much from it, that would help get you going. Sometimes it does that for me when things are rough. Art can be a retreat.

I'd say draw my cat sleeping but I suspect that you'd get more out of drawing your husband sleeping. He might be well known but I don't think others get quite as thrilled about his existence as I do. If you start with something easy like him rolled over away from you asleep, it's easier to warm up to harder poses.

Rachel, mat cutting with an actual mat cutter isn't hard. If you've never tried it, consider getting a good mat cutter. It makes a big difference using a Logan one. Even the cheapest Logan, the only way I make a bad cut is if I made a mistake measuring and marking it up with a ruler. That isn't hard in itself, using a grid ruler or a regular one and a triangle to get the right angles. I got it right on my first try with the first Logan mat cutter I ever bought, back in the 80s. It surprised me how easy it was except for carrying around the large uncut mat boards.

I used to cut a bunch of mats ahead of time and then use them to mark up the picture area on my paper. Centers left over from mat cutting either turned into smaller mats or drawing substrate. I did a lot of pastel sketching on mat board, it's a beautiful surface for sketching.

Doug, I'm going to have to go look at the Spotlight to see what you did with your Unisons. They're so beautiful and it looks as if the box isn't so large I'll have trouble finding space for it. Wonderful color. Thanks for letting me know they don't leave a lot of dust either. I'll have to dream and save up for them... maybe I won't wait till spring, maybe just till I'm past getting my site paid for in October.

Mary Y
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Judi, I hope you husband is feeling better and was allowed home today .
Rachel,Good luck with your show if you decide to enter.
Doug, Your unison tree painting is lovely.I hope you manage some more this month.
I wouldn't call all my attempts at the S'Light pictures paintings, but hopefully I have gleaned something from each try. (The trick is to remember it). I have one reference picture left to try and hope to find time this weekend.
Robert,Thanks for you comments.Good luck with the Unisons--I wish postage wasn't so expensive to here.

RO'M
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
greetings- i just did a bit of looking back at the Spotlight and did see trees by Charlie, Doug and Robert...all so great!

Doug, i could tell by your last trees that you are really enjoying your new pastel set-what vibrant colors! I'll have to think about half pastels or whatever they are called....my stock really is depleted right now. And yes i had a good vacation- PEI is full of fields-potatoes, barley, oats, wheat, strawberries; some parts of the island are flat, other parts more rolling- and roses everywhere in every hedgerow-instant aromatherapy! We camped at provincial parks by the ocean, which was warm and very swimmable and the beaches were uncrowded. Yes, i think waves are definitely in the future for this upcoming show- or maybe a landscape done in blue tones-or maybe both!

Robert, i loved your tree- i have seen some of your journal work, but not much in the Spotlight-please do more! As for mat cutting, i tried a hand held one a few times, but i couldn't get it to work for me-i think there was a problem because i am left handed and it was upside down or backwards or something-too frustrating! But who knows, there may be a leftie model out there somewhere...you have made me curious now!

Well, i best get busy on the 'blues' and my poor garden which is now a true weed patch. I rescued the onions from oblivion earlier today.

Cheers to all:heart:

robertsloan2
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Rachel, yikes. I didn't realize you were left handed, it would be so hard to use it backwards. I completely understand. Oddly enough, I think it might work to just turn the rail around backwards with the system I have, the Team System II is just the rail and hand cutter. The straight cutter for sectioning boards was separate and that one would work in either hand.

The good cutters mounted on boards with an arm sticking out, it'd be hard to readjust it for a leftie. But the Team System is just the guide rail. I hold it still by kneeling on it while I'm cutting, that always works - it's the II because I got the one with a 40" rail. I always use it with the rail facing to the right, but if I put the rail to the left I could do it left handed. Wish you lived nearby, I'd let you try it. Maybe they'd let you test one in an art store to see which models adapt to being turned around or not.

I would be doing a lot more pasteling if I wasn't as sick as I've been lately. This summer is harder than last summer was, the weather's been playing games with my joints. Doing pastels takes getting them out, moving around the room, then cleaning it up afterward. So a lot of times I just fool with my sketchbook instead and call it a day.

Mary, yeah, it's probably a lot harder to get Unisons down under.

Yesterday I was resting up and today I'm still resting up in the middle of the mess I've made of the closet. The weather turned erratic and my back is screaming, I had nap attacks both days, it's rough. I don't even know if I'll manage daily sketching today, but I'll try for at least a cat sketch.

Judibelle
07-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Robert...so sorry to hear you're not feeling well again...the weather can sure wreak havoc, cant it??? hope you feel well enough to at least sketch a bit today.
Rachel...my garden is a disappointment this year....lots of squash and cuke blossoms, but no fruits! dont know why...I was counting on them for summer eating.
Mary...hope you found some time to paint over the weekend...
Doug...so glad you are enjoying your Unisons....your trees just keep getting better and better!
Hope Charlie is enjoying her vacation....

Hubby came home from the hospital on Monday...doing pretty well now, so maybe I can get back into painting a bit...
Judi

Dougwas
07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Rachel- Glad you enjoyed your vacation. I am a west coaster and have never been to our east coast, but would love to see it one day. Believe it or not, we have alot of people from Newfoundland living in our tiny BC town. They came out west to work in the two lumber mills here. A lady my wife worked with moved back there last year and she says we have an open invitation to go visit them anytime we want. It would be neat to see the Rock.

I hope you took plenty of photos. If you did, you won't have any trouble looking for reference photos. Can't wait to see your paintings.

Robert- I hope you get enough energy to clean up your mess you made. I know the feeling, Robert. You feel fine and start something, then you start feeling more pain and can't finish it. :mad: Hang in there. You will get it done.

Judi- Good to here your husband is home. Okay, now you can paint.:)

I started a painting yesterday and it just wasn't going anywhere. That's alright. I felt like puttering so I filled out the colour chart for my Unisons. I then used packing tape to tape the chart to the inside of the box lid. I never throw away my pastel boxes. I did the same for the Maggie Price, Ludwig set. The packing tape might yellow over time, but I figured it was worth a try. Here are the photos of the charts. Just thought I would share this idea with the gang.

I am going to start the August Goal Post tonight. Who knows how long the site will down? At least this way, when the site comes back up, we will already have our thread started.

Take care everyone. I hope we aren't down too long. We can't live without WC.:(

UNISONS
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/102199-DSCF2635.jpg

LUDWIGS
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/102199-DSCF2636.jpg

Doug

robertsloan2
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. It's been frustrating - I'm still not up to clearing up and doing the next stage. Going to have to wait for a good day.

Doug, those charts are a great idea. Thanks for posting the photos, it's much easier to see the colors in your photos. Both of those sets are on my wish list and they are so tempting!

I'll miss everyone during the server upgrade, but I'll be hanging out on Facebook if anyone shows up there for a discussion or to show off a new pastel painting.

robertsloan2
07-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey, I'm still here! WC is still here! Isn't it great! I'm so happy.

Congratulate me, folks. I did it. Today, right at the end of the month, I got that closet reorganizing done. I still haven't sorted the contents of the three oversize portfolios, but they're right up front where it's easy to get into any of them. I can do that later at leisure with a lot less physical exertion.

So that's its own task - sort what's in the portfolios and organize them so that one is for mat scrap, one for good papers and boards to draw on, and the third for oversized artwork. That and get all the small bits out and stacked on a shelf or in a smaller box so that they're not over stuffed any more. I found things that need to go in them, oversize pads, but there isn't any room in any of them for them.

The main thing is that the closet is done.

So here's my results:

July Goals:
1) Save $65 - blew that on Ari cat's vet visit and art stuff. Bad me.
2) Sketches & Studies Daily - Did it and overdid it, did great.
3) Spotlight - Yes, wound up with the best pastel landscape I've ever done!
4) Write an article a week - blew that and did no writing.
5. A prehistoric animal in action. - Did that well.
6. Matting and Framing - Did some, not all of it.
7. Rearrange wall space. Did that.
8. Organized closet and supplies, retrieved shelving, success!

So I managed 3/4 of my goals, I think that's pretty darn good. Especially with what I finished today. I can see my floor. I can get at that oversize books cart now. Wow.

Colorix
07-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Congratulations, Rob!

1) Go plein air as much as I can. All of 3, but I've got very good excuses!

2) Design my PA kit. Finish building it. Easel is done! Box to be designed.

3) I will paint at least one fully finished painting/week. Only two... but I've travelled, too, so that's a good excuse.

4) I will paint 3 Spotlights, they count as goal 3, too. One... again, good reasons.

5) I will update my website, preferably order business cards too. Cards ordered, really nice, Vistaprint makes them just fine for a decent price. Quality surprised me (being *better*, I mean). Website got minor updates, needs more.

6) I will get those pastel goodies I've postponed for months. LOL! Still finding out what I need, travelled, that's a good excuse. Really, I have more than I need.

I really need this vacation. Travelling, not lucky with weather, but lucky with seeing a special exhibition with paintings by Anders Zorn, and his home. Gorgeous paintings. Some of his American portraits, too, which are in private collections! That was a treat!

OK, sinking back into oblivion... :-) I've spent three days mooching (I think the word is) on the couch. Just doing nothing (well, reading Terry Pratchett), and regaining energy. Might go out PA today, *if* the clouds lift (we're in the rainy season/month now).

Charlie

Ruthie57
07-31-2010, 11:52 AM
End of month and I haven't met all my goals.
Good reasons though. My feet haven't touched the ground since I got back from France last Sunday. My Mum has got even worse and has taken up a major amount of my time (I don't resent it but it has meant altering priorities).
Main thing is everything is ready for the exhibition I've got some work in which starts 7 Aug. Studio is still a mess, didn't get a second cityscape done and only did 2 spotlights. Can't remember the rest.
No time to go throught this thread either but well done all you goalies! See you next month.
Off to grab a couple of hours pastel therapy in my studio now!

robertsloan2
07-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Charlie, congratulations on all your goals! Cool the way you used colors for your notes on amended ones. The things you did were enormous, given the other stuff you were doing you accomplished tons. PA depends on time, energy and weather, if you get to do some today that's sweet. I think managing three in a month is great.

Three days of lounging on the couch reading Terry Pratchett sounds like a wonderful vacation. Mooching is if you drop in on a friend and do that for a month, not just a few days, when you're getting their food and hospitality without helping out or anything. It's mildly derogatory but people tease about it. Generally if you can mooch on a friend they really don't mind it and intended you to stay. Sometimes it's letting someone else pay for your lunch or something, that sort of thing.

The term I think you were fishing for is "vegging" i.e. vegetating on the couch reading Terry Pratchett instead of doing something useful to someone else or healthful exercise or anything that demands effort. I'm all in favor, because sometimes that's actually what an active person needs most - that deep mental relaxation and a good laugh. Pratchett has about three quotables per page and gut-busters right in the narration.

Today I'm aching but proud. My daughter came in and said "Who moved in here?" She was gobsmacked. Couldn't believe the clean floor space and organized closet. I really accomplished something big -- and that's made it a lot easier for her doing day to day cleaning. She can get around in it easily now.

She helped me rearrange the paintings on the wall, moved three of them for me so that Orangerie has a better spot and I have my Houle drawings grouped together, leaving a space for my cork board on what used to be my Sketch Wall. So I'll have my Sketch Wall back in respectable form as soon as the latest Blick box arrives.

I guess that's a good enough reason for busting my savings (that order was only $5 more than the savings would've been). My room actually looks respectable. Instead of closing the door, she'll pop in and make the bed before they arrive - something I can't actually do and never bothered with as an adult, but she's house-proud.

I think that's a gender thing, it's more socially acceptable for a man to only make the bed when he puts clean sheets on. Women are supposed to do that every day and always have the house looking like someone's going to take photos. I get amazed at her getting the kids' room clean though, it always looks like a tornado hit there and in about twenty minutes she gets it looking spotless. Eerie, that.