PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble July 2010

Shirl Parker
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

I hope you all have a fine, productive month. :wave:

saramathewson
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Good morning Shirl! How is your summer going? any plans for the 4th?

I have some good news. I have a friend who is going to come up here and move me back to Arivaca where I have many friends and where my doctor is etc. It's a very small town and I have a place to hook up my RV in town on the same friends property. Rent is reasonable and well under what I am paying currently for this house so I should be able to save some money too. I showed the house to a potential renter and he and his wife are coming back as she hasn't seen it yet. they will be here tomorrow at 4. they sent in their application already so the landlords are checking references. so keep your fingers crossed that they check out and still want the place. Then I don't have to show it to anyone else and can just focus on packing etc. I am flaring badly so I need as much rest as possible right now. This afternoon a friend of mine is taking me shoping for essentials and then hopefully to the AT&T store to get service under my name as it is currently under Chris' name and he doesn't plan to pay the bill so my phone could be shut off at any time. ugh, not what I need. But, still, things are looking up as far as living arrangements are concerned. And i will still be in the Southwest, just back in S. AZ instead of NM. It's not that I don't like it here, it is just hard to live here by myself being disabled like I am. It will be much easier to live in town in Arivaca where it is a short walk to the small store and post office etc. Plus i have friends who will be willing to drive me to the bigger town nearby where there is a walmart and big grocery stores and where my pharmacy is(in one of the grocery stores) Plus lots of women friends for support:)

Hope you have a good weekend:)

Sara

pastellady
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Sara, so glad things are looking up for you. Arent' friends the best!

I have been framing and getting ready for my first one woman show coming up this month. I have been going thru paintings picking stuff out and framing new stuff. Plus I have to print more bs. cards, fliers, etc. But it is exciting! It is at the City Hall in Lee's Summit, Missouri with an opening reception on July 15 from 5-9pm. If any of you are in the area during that time frame, come by and say hi. The exhibit will be up thru October 15, 2010.

Going to take my Mom for her weekly hair appointment and then meet my daughter at my studio for a day of painting in oils. Life is good!
Have and great day,
Jennylynne

CM Neidhofer
07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm starting off the month with my DIL in the hospital, just about ready to give birth to their first child, and she had some kind of attack with her pancreas. So they're still waiting to talk to the doctor about whether they'er going to do a C section so that they can treat Mom for the pancreas problem, or keep her in the hospital until she has the baby. She's do in less than three weeks as it is. My son said they told him she's not going home unless it's with a new baby! Of course I'm scheduled to go to Florida for the birth on the 19th of July, not now!! First babies...gotta love 'em! They do what they want. So keep us in your thoughts at least until we know what's going to happen. Thanks. :crossfingers:

chuas2
07-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Christine, most definitely am keeping you, your daughter-in-law and son (and baby) in my thoughts! Yikes that's scary!

Sarah, yes, nothing better in the world than friends. Especially women (sorry guys). The move sounds like it will improve your situation quite a bit. Kudos to you!

Jennylynne, how exciting and crazy happy busy you must be. Could you post some of the paintings after the show or are they mostly ones you've shown here on WC? How many paintings will you have?

Chuas started the month on a sad note, found my goldfish dead this morning. I know, "just a fish," but he's been with me for about eight years. I rescued him as a tiny "feeder" fish and he got to about 5 inches long. I never thought how much I loved his little glub glub in the morning and evening.
Sad Chuas :crying:

CM Neidhofer
07-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Just got a call. We have a new baby girl! Saundra Lee, 5 lbs., 15 oz., delivered by C section this afternoon. Steph developed a fever and they decided to go ahead and deliver the baby so they can treat Momma. She was awake through the whole delivery! Baby and Mom are both fine at this time. I'm a Grandma!!

Well, I'm starting off the month with my DIL in the hospital, just about ready to give birth to their first child, and she had some kind of attack with her pancreas. So they're still waiting to talk to the doctor about whether they'er going to do a C section so that they can treat Mom for the pancreas problem, or keep her in the hospital until she has the baby. She's do in less than three weeks as it is. My son said they told him she's not going home unless it's with a new baby! Of course I'm scheduled to go to Florida for the birth on the 19th of July, not now!! First babies...gotta love 'em! They do what they want. So keep us in your thoughts at least until we know what's going to happen. Thanks. :crossfingers:

chuas2
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
YAY!! Congratulations Christine!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lynndidj
07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Christine!! Saundra may be little but she's a keeper!! Hope your DIL gets well very soon so the whole family can be together and enjoy that "newborn" stuff!!

Sara - so glad you have a plan that is workable for you and so grateful for the support of your friends!! Women friends are the greatest!!

Chaus - sorry about your fish :-(

Well, we had the big graduation party for my son on the 26th, everything was awesome, visited with family through sunday, took my daughter to the airport on monday, took Mom to the Dr. on tuesday and then straight to the ER to be admitted to the hospital with a terrible case of cellulitis in her arm that literally flared up OVERNIGHT. She is still there, and since she has some amount of dementia, I need to be there and check in frequently to make sure everything is going the way it should. Totally lost my week here. I had plans to pack up some things at Mom's (she was a quilter and has tons of stuff we need to pack away for now) and work on some of my unfinished pieces from Camp. Oh well, hopefully she will come home tomorrow and then I can organize her pills and hope she takes them all at the right time!!! Actually I am very grateful the infection did not become systemic - and so am counting my blessings while complaining just a little :-)

Lynn

Lynndidj
07-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Jennylynne - congratulations!!! Hope your show is a smash hit!!

Lynn

pastellady
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Christine-Congrats! Grandkids are great-we have 5 and all are different but all are exciting! Hope DIL gets well quickly.

Chuas-Sorry about your fish buddy-8 years-WOW! What a good fish mommy you were.
I haven't posted any pics on WC-I usually don't cause the uploader and I are NOT Friends! I will try and post a link to my blog when I get the show preview put together there.

Lynn-Thanks and hope your Mom is better soon. My Mom's dementia keeps me hoppint too.

Did an oil today from a small study I did previously. Will look tomorrow to see if it needs tweaking-it's an 16"x20".
Also celebrating 34 years of marital bliss on July 4th. Hubby was smart-planned fireworks for every anniversary and started off with the big bang in the bi-centinnial year party! Gotta love him!
Jennylynne

K Taylor-Green
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Congratulations, Chris!!!:clap: Wonderful thing, being a grandma.:heart:

Jennylynne, Congrats on the show! I know it will be a success.

Sara, I am glad things are looking up for you. I hope you get settled soon and can just get on with the business of living. Bless the friends you have!

Lynndidj, what a rollercoaster ride you have been on! Hope your mom is well, soon.

It has been as hectic around here as it usually is!
Scarlett, my 22 month old yellow Lab has started her hunt test career and has 2 passes toward her AKC Junior Hunter title.
I have been working with Stevie, my 8 month old, to really make her obedience solid before we start force fetch. She is a retrieving machine!
I have one girl in heat to be bred next week. Whew!

On the painting front, I am still doing commission work. I have several lined up to keep me busy. And some new pastelmat to try!
I have one private student who comes in the summer. She is almost 16 and is one of the students in my home school co-op classes that I teach during the school year. Very dedicated!

No special plans for the 4th of July weekend. I just want to take a couple of days and chill and maybe hang some with family.

chuas2
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Jennylynne, can you get assistance from one of the moderators so you can post your work? I'm sure others would love to see your paintings also!

Actually, my husband and I did some math and figured my fish, Big (I'm really creative with pet names) was closer to 9 1/2 years. I've heard goldfish can live twenty years, but Big was definitely my longest timer.

Lynn, good luck with your mom. I cared for my mom through cancer and dementia and it was horribly difficult. I don't regret a single second of it though.
Chuas

Lynndidj
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Katherine - perhaps you can give me a little dog advice. My almost 5 year old Maltese (boy) has always slept in a crate, right next to my side of the bed. He gets a treat when he goes in his crate, and usually sleeps all through the night, not making a peep until I let him out in the morning. Lately, he has been doing this growling, snapping thing in the crate, until I finally relent and let him up on the bed (where nobody then gets a good night's sleep!). Last night, finally, at 2 a.m. I grabbed his crate and put him in my son's room (he was gone) and turned on the light and shut the door. By the time my husband got to him at about 6:30, he was pretty frantic (he doesn't like being separated from me). Our plan for tonight is to have his crate in the room and put him in it with a treat, but leave the door open and have another bed for him to sleep in. Without the crate next to my bed he can't jump onto the bed. We'll see if it works. Any advice you might have would be most welcome!!! Yes, he has anxiety and separation anxiety, and so I don't make a big deal of coming and going from the house. But seriously, I need my sleep!!! He is making me crazy!!!! And he's only 7-1/2 pounds - how can he be that powerful? I'm truly trying to be the Alpha dog in the house, but clearly, I'm failing. Next I'm trying a "pet communicator."

Lynn

K Taylor-Green
07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Lynn, how is his daytime behavior? Anything out of his usual behavior? When you let him on the bed at night, does he sleep, or continue to growl, snap, or just exhibit restless behavior? The fact that this is a sudden change in his night time routine makes me think it could be health related.
But if he acts his usual self in the daytime, maybe not.
Maybe the fact that you gave in the first night that he behaved this way has created the ongoing night time battle!
If he is good outside of his crate and will sleep elsewhere in the room, I'd let him do it, even though it seems you are giving in.
Maybe put a toy in his crate with him. I have not had to deal with this as my Labs are only crated at night when they are young and going through housebreaking. They all just pile into bed with us or sleep on the couch. While I am strict in a lot of things, I am pretty lax in letting them decide where they want to sleep!
Let me know how it goes!

Lynndidj
07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks Katherine - his behavior during the day has been pretty much the same. It took me 28 years of marriage, my father dying, and our son about to leave for college to get my husband to agree to the dog :-) The agreement included NOT being on the bed!! When he gets up there he is restless - walking around and stuff, but not the growling. Like he is such big stuff that his growling means anything, I mean, seriously!!! So, it is a mystery to me as to why he does this. It happened one time before, and the vet finally gave him doggy Xanax. I couldn't tell that it really helped, so I stopped giving it to him. I've tried it the past several nights, and it hasn't helped, so tonight I might try some Benedryl - anything to get him to chill out and sleep!!

Lynn

mollerman
07-03-2010, 02:04 AM
What a crazy last 4 weeks its been! I was asked to help organize an art show and given just 6 weeks to put it all together! I thought it was insane to try and organize anything on such short notice but it looks as though it has been pulled off. I brought in two bands that play country, folk, blue grass and pop music and a bellydance troupe for entertainment. So far I have about 18 art vendors and 25 booths confirmed. I am expecting to have 25 artists or more. Now for the big iffy to work in our favor and have nice weather. The downside is I haven't had much time to do any painting!

CM Neidhofer
07-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Announcing Saundra Lee!! Born July 1, 2010 at 4:58 p.m. 5lbs., 15 oz., 18 1/2 inches long! My first grandchild!!! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
07-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Chris, she is a doll! And so tiny! Again, congratulations!

Lynn, there is a natural product that you can get at General Nutrition Centers that works safely for dogs, and people too! They market it to relieve stress for things like vet visits and separation issues. It is called Rescue Remedy and might be better than Benedryl.

Congrats, Marcus, for pulling off something of that size in such a short period of time! Not sure I could!

saramathewson
07-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your support. It has been a rough few weeks and the next month is going to be very busy. I am already flaring pretty bad, but that was to be expected from all the stress! It looks like this couple that looked at the house are going to rent it which means I probably won't have to show it anymore--yay! Now i can concentrate on getting packs and decluttered etc. I feel so much relief in knowing where i'm going to live and in the fact that I have someone who is willing to move me:)

Jennylynne, congrats on the show!

Christine, congrats on being a new grandma. Kasie, Chris' daughter is due on the 19th. She could go anyday though. she dropped over a week ago. It is strange that one day I was going to be a grandma and now i'm not. kind of sad.

Chaus i'm sorry about your goldfish. That is a long time to have one! I had no idea they lived that long!!

Lynne, sorry to hear about your mom. My son once had cellulitis in his face after he was bitten in the face by a dog because he tried to break up two dogs fighting. He had to have a plastic surgeon stitch him up there were several lacerations. He still has sone scarring but not too bad. anyway he developed cellulitis and spent several days in the hospital on IV antibiotics. Of course he loved it because he was waited on hand and foot and he got all the jello and pudding and ice cream he could eat! I had a case of it around my eye once. I was able to just use oral antibiotics, but almost had to be hospitalized it is nothing to fool with that is for sure! I hope your mom is healing well and will be able to take her medications regularly. That must be Quite a scary thing to trust her to do that. Does she still live alone?

Katherine it sounds like you are busy with pups and commissions! Your life always seems so hectic. I hope you can relax this weekend.

Marcus, good for you for putting that art show together! wow that is a lot of work!! Soon you will be able to get back to painting!

Christine, your grand daughter is beautiful. i love babies:) thanks for sharing those pics with us.

Sorry if I have forgotten someone. My memory is not the greatest.
Have a great 4th of July everyone!

Sara

chuas2
07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Sara, you are making progress. One step at a time. You'll do it! We women are STRONG!!

Christine, looks like a baby alright (I'm not really a baby person, can you tell). I'm so glad things are going well!

Lynn, I have dogs who sleep in crates in my room also. So far i've not had problems, but dogs can get anxious for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes no one can figure out why, and it drives everyone nuts. Mine are 12 and 16 lbs and I can vouch for the fact that small dogs have the capacity to make you as crazy as big dogs. Not very comforting, huh?

I've also used on occasion, Bach's Rescue Remedy and it does seem to help with transient anxiety. I have a friend who has his dog on low grade antidepressants for anxiety.

And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he has some kind of physical discomfort maybe that just manifests when he's laying down for a period of time.

Let us know how he (and YOU) are doing! They're our babies!
Chuas

pastellady
07-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Mark-Good luck on the art show-sounds like it's coming along great. Hope you get back to your painting soon-the horse series is looking wonderful.

Christine-What a beautiful girl.

Lynn, My little puppy mill rescue has several little quirks too. He mostly was sleeping in his crate but I put a small doggy bed on the floor next to the head of the bed on my side and he sleeps right thru the night now. I agree though with Chauas that you should have him checked out to eliminate any health problems.

Sara-Glad to hear you can start packing and getting on with the new phase of your life.

Happy Fourth Everybody
Jennylynne

Lynndidj
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Christine - she is darling!! Congratulations!! It looks like Mom was holding her in one of the photos, with perhaps a lovely crocheted little hat from Grandma?? Hope your DIL is getting better as well.

Marcus - way to rock putting that show together!! Yes, weather is always the iffy thing. I was on weather.com more than I can tell you prior to the big graduation party, and even though they were predicting storms, they didn't arrive until sunday morning, which was fine with me!! Hopefully the artists will have sturdy tents and people will come with umbrellas if the weather looks iffy.

Well, Rudy had his first night last night with his crate door open, and a bed by our bed. He was trying to get onto the bed last night but I did not relent, and eventually he laid down and slept. I have some of the Rescue Remedy, but could not tell a difference before when I used it. I will try it again. Thanks for all of your tips and concern!!

Mom is married again, but he is 91 - a really good 91 - but still, I need to check on things (next on my list after this little break).

Sara - you have had some real challenges lately - and a lot of sadness. My wish for you is that your move will go smoothly and you will feel a sense of relief and peace when you arrive at your destination.

Oh, and Hup Holland!!! We are in the quarterfinals of the World Cup!!! We actually beat Brazil!!!! Yes!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

Lynn

pastellady
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, I am adding a link to my blog where I have posted a few of the paintings that will be in the one woman show in July. Take a look and let me know what you think. Some are oil and some pastel.
www.jennylynnegragg.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Jennylynne

robertsloan2
07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Christine, congratulations on becoming a grandma. She's very tiny. You got the easier end of the deal with that, all you need to do is dote and spoil her. Grandparenthood is fun.

Lynn, glad to hear that Rudy's coming around. And that your mom found an older man. Sounds cool.

Sara, good luck on your move and hope your stress goes down with that part of it taken care of.

I wound up rested for the first time in a week because I went back to bed at 6am and slept till 3pm. It's summer. I don't wind up sun-deprived if I sleep in the day, so I might as well sleep when I need to, especially if it leaves me feeling that much better. First time I've felt awake all week, all the way awake. It's a relief.

mollerman
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Christine - Congradaulations Grandma!

chuas2
07-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Jennylynne, your work is beautiful! My favorites are "Oak Creek at Tlaquepaque" and "Morning at the Pond." Absolutely lovely. Thank you so much for posting your website!
Chuas

pastellady
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Chuas, Those are two of my favorites too. The view I painted at Oak Creek at Tlaquepaque is not there anymore. Two days after we painted there the bulldozer came to build a road and disturbed all that was beautiful there. It's what I like about plein aire painting-you never know when you will record something that will disappear forever except in your paintings.
Jennylynne

pastellady
07-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Okay, I'm going to give this a try. I asked someone to help me try and upload so here goes. I have been working in oils lately and would like to know what you all think about this piece. So, here goes.
487957 This is a little pond that I paint often and in all different seasons both in pastels and now in oils!
thanks,
jennylynne

Lynndidj
07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Jennylynne - what a lovely little pond to have as your subject matter! So sorry no one has commented so far - we must all be busy!! I think you have a lovely start here, but for some reason the trees on the right seem to come to the front of the picture plane. Perhaps there needs to be some more darkness in the water right at the bottom and to the left to establish some depth and completely horizontal strokes to create the flatness of the water. I think the intensity of the light green on those trees may also be a bit high - but I'm not totally sure. Let's see what others have to say.

Well, we are getting geared up for vacation - we leave next week Friday or Saturday, depending on how things go with my Mom. Had her in the hospital for cellulitis in her arm, and it is still not completely gone. Now her husband has to go to California due to the death of one of his son-in-laws, so Mom will be coming to stay with me while he is gone. We are really hoping to leave on Friday - but we will see. I'm looking forward to having time to paint, watch the 2nd DVD of the McKinley demo a second time and attempt to finish a painting I started with that technique while at Camp, work on my Italian :-) and read some good books. I'm even hoping to start on Charlie's color workshop on WetCanvas after being so inspired by her latest post in the Studio/Gallery. There may be some swimming, bike riding and hiking in there too :-) Walks in the forest if the mosquitoes aren't too bad!!

Hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend!

Lynn

Lynndidj
07-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh, I forgot - Rudy is sleeping in his crate again!! Hallelujah!!!

And Hup Holland for the World Cup FINALS tomorrow!!!!

Lynn

pastellady
07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Lynn-Thanks for the comments on the little oil study. Since it's just a study, I will leave it as is. I did a plein aire bigger oil of the pond which I may post later. I did take the study with me just to see what I'd done before and will tweak the plein aire piece,if needed in the studio.
Glad your Mom is doing better. Hope you can take off on your vacation soon. Also glad that Rudy is back to his normal routine.

My little Buddy went to the vet for his ongoing paw issue,which has returned, and we also had her look at a bump on his belly. After she aspirated it, it was found to be cancer. he will have surgery in two weeks-we are hoping that it is Stage 0-1 as his chances of survival goes way down above those stages. These are the problems that sometimes happen with puppy mill rescues but he has come such a long way in the year we have had him that I just believe he will continue to be in our lives for a long time to come. Positve thoughts-positive thoughts-positive thoughts!!!!!!!
Jennylynne

Lynndidj
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh Jennylynne - I hope he is ok!!! Let us know, will you?

Lynn

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Jennylynne, your little oil study of the pond is gorgeous. It's so cool that you have such a beautiful spot to sketch and paint regularly. Sorry to hear about Buddy's cancer and paw issues. I hope he's okay and comes through the surgery to a fast, total recovery.

Lynn, sounds like an action-packed vacation ahead of you -- and like you sorely need one with everything that's going on. Hope you have plenty of time to paint and relax. Yay for Rudy sleeping in his crate again.

I got intermittent thunderstorms all day today and have felt very drug out, but still did a page of watercolor pencil sketches. Ari is settled on the bed with his tail tucked around him looking cute. My cat's a joy to me, especially on bad days he's so solicitous. He kept coming over and washing me to help with the pain in my joints.

Sometimes it does help. It's spooky, I've got a magic healing cat.

Lynndidj
07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Robert - aren't animals amazing in that way? They just seem to know when you need some extra love. I'm so glad you have your cat!! And so glad Rudy is sleeping!!

Lynn

Deborah Secor
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm too far behind to comment individually, but loving the pix of the baby, sad hearing about the hard things folks are going through, love Jennylynne's painting, and Marcus-- way to go!

I thought I'd drop a link to a thread showing the nine paintings I've completed in a series called "Shady Spots and Planted Pots" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8882509#post8882509). I'm considering matting these all as one piece and framing them. Well, take a peek over there and let me know what you think. They aren't pastels...

Tomorrow is our son's 24th birthday and we get to go out to a fun restaurant I've always wanted to visit, Pappadeaux Seafood. He's a cook (not technically a chef) and has worked for 3 years at a very upscale restaurant here in ABQ, so it's fun to eat out with him. He always asks good questions and enjoys the little things a lot, like the perfect blend of spices or the presentation of the plate--things I don't analyze. (I guess it's like going to an art show with one of us. We probably see things the average person doesn't.) I'm so blessed by this kid--oops, young MAN! He's a great guy. Isn't it wonderful to have bright, happy, thoughtful and fun children? :heart:

Lynndidj
07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Deborah - I love all your little planted pots!! They will make a wonderful composition. I did a workshop with my mentor, Edee, called one picture, many paintings, and the idea was that you make a composition out of any number of paintings that you did in the class. Mine turned out to be three 5 x 7 paintings of rotting birch trees on the forest floor, placed on a wet-in-wet background.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=488731&stc=1&d=1278973859

CM Neidhofer
07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll keep everyone's pets and moms and sons in my thoughts and prayers, and I need some as well. DIL came home with the new baby on the 4th of July, but mom's back in the hospital with the same pancreas problem, along with a blood clot next to her lung and a urinary tract infection. She has been in their local hospital, but was being transferred to Tampa General today because no one knows how to treat her. They gave her an extra large dose of cumadin to try to break up the blood clot, but they based the dose on pre delivery weight and not on her current weight. Pretty much wiped out her red blood cells. She's had two plasma transfusions now and still not building back like she should. No gall bladder or stone issues. Said there might be a collapsed duct from the pancreas, but the local hospital isn't equipped to handle this and have exhausted all options. Baby is just fine, but Dad has to go back to work tonight. They did accomodate him by putting him on a night shift so he can take care of baby during the day and try to sleep and Florida grandma will take care of her at night until Stephanie is home from the hospital. I'm headed down there Saturday morning to spend a week and hopefully help out. Very worried about her/them. They have been together since they were 15 and 17. I don't know what my son would do without her. He's got a lot on his plate right now. Sorry to be so long.

Lynndidj
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh Christine - prayers for your DIL!!! My goodness, what trials she is having. I have one suggestion for you, if Tampa General is a teaching hospital, make SURE she is not being treated by new Residents. Only by the doctors. This is not a situation for a brand new Resident to be working on - and data has shown this to be true. I heard a report on this on NPR, and cannot stress this enough to you. Stephanie will be in my prayers.

Lynn

pastellady
07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Christine, Prayer for your DIL coming her way and also for your son and the new baby.
Jennylynne

robertsloan2
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Christine, that sounds like a nightmare. Your family's rallying around well to help her but that kind of mistake puts chills up my spine. Everyone should be asking and checking on what they're doing all the time, stay informed on medications, doses, everything anyone does with her.

I've had more than my share of medical mistakes in my life and her situation sounds like that's compounded some serious conditions. She is probably not in a condition to tell what's going on but the way hospitals are, mistakes like that are hideously common.

Lynn's right about the new Residents. I've had more serious medical mistakes from Residents in hospitals and ERs than any other group, with GPs as the next group of doctors most likely to make major mistakes. Specialists are the ones least likely to make serious errors except for a tendency to interpret all symptoms as being in their specialty.

When someone has non-sick family coming in asking all the hard questions and supervising the patient's treatment, their chances of coming through improve dramatically. There is a lot you can do. I have had much less trouble dealing with mistakes and refusing the wrong medications when I've had someone with me who wasn't sick.

They are not likely to listen to her at all. It's common practice to completely ignore what the patient says. The same thing repeated by someone who's not in bed will get a bigger chance of being listened to, and that means checking everything. Asking pharmacists about medications is a good idea, including the hospital's consulting pharmacist.

Hopefully Tampa General is a better hospital. It sounds like your local hospital may be liable for that overdose of cumadin. I feel for you -- and know she's got a better chance with you and your son looking after her and watching what's going on. Check everything they're doing. Medication errors are probably the most common medical mistake around and one of the most dangerous.

Sounds like the baby's in better condition though, and at least they have enough support to get through this. It's got to be so rough on everyone.

Lynn, your birch paintings are lovely together. I like how you did them.

Deborah, your Shady Spots paintings are gorgeous. Your plan to frame them together is a good one, they are wonderful massed like that and the second arrangement is perfectly balanced, the one at the bottom of your post. Someone's going to get lucky buying that collection.

I've been having a run of bad days this month. This summer's harder on me than last summer. Most of what I want to do, I keep putting off because I'm not up to it. Must be the combination of the heat and the amount of rain. Changing pressures knock me over. I'm getting bored with being sick, sick of being sick, just feeling cranky and whiny today. Ari cat is right next to me being a comfort though, he cheers me up all the time.

Lynndidj
07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Robert - no wonder you are feeling lousy the weather has been so hot. I understand the challenges of changing fronts coming through with the pressures going up and down - that tends to give me migraines. So glad that Ari is there with you. Did you know that my daughter named her little dog Arjan (pro. Ar-yan) which is Dutch for John, and that she calls him Ari? That was also my great-great-grandfather's name, and he helped to settle the town of South Holland, Illinois, where I grew up. A good name, Ari!!

Let's hope for a little less heat and rain for the remainder of the summer?

Lynn

saramathewson
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Christine I will keep your DIL in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennylynne, I will also keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers about your little dog. I hope and pray that he will be ok.

I have news. i am not moving to Arivaca, instead I am moving back to Mpls. MN. It is where most of my family is and friends i have had since childhood. It just became very clear that that is where I need to be. My girls live just an hour and a half away. I found a place to live already because of a good friend. she looked at the place for me and helped me money wise since I have been a little short since Chris left. A friend is flying down thanks to this other friend who found the place for me and we will go up to MN in a uhaul truck. It will be a tough trip for me as I usually have to lay down when traveling and that won't be possible in the truck, but, I can't figure out how else to do it. I'm hiring the handyman who works on the house i am currently renting to help us load the truck. He will bring another person to help since I can't do much myself. My friend comes on the 30th and we will leave on the 31st of July and get to the new place on the 2nd of August, probably in teh late afternoon, evening. I have been very blessed and can see how many Angels god has sent my way. I am overwhelmed by the love shown me by family and friends. I could use some prayers for a good trip and that it doesn't send me back too far healthwise. i'm kind of flaring and my adrenals are really stressed right now. I wasn't able to sleep very well for a long time and just recently have been able to finally since so many of the plans are now taken care of. I still have lots of packing and sorting to do. Anyway, I can't comment on everyone's stuff. It is getting late and i need to go to bed but wanted to check in with you all. Deborah i will look at your paintings and i'm sure they are wonderful.

Take care everyone!

Sara

pastellady
07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Sara, That is really great news! If the seats in the uhaul are buckets, maybe you could put down some padding and lay down between the seats at times to help take the stress off your joints and body. So glad you are moving where you have family and friends. Let the healing begin.

My hubby made it through his eye surgery and it looks like his bionic eye will work great! Now if we could just him some bionic ears!

Buddy has been on premeds for his surgery and his tumor has actually gone down quite a bit. This is good news cause then they won't have to remove so much from his little tummy. He was playing with Toby, our other little rescue, this morning and actually made a sound. Needless to say-we were all shocked! He has always made little crying noises but never any other sounds so we weren't sure if he could(given his history of his previous owner shoving a pipe down his throat to keep him from barking). It's not quite a bark but it's more than a whimper. The vet called and said that she is really thinking that it may be stage one cancer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He is such a great little plein aire partner I would miss not having him under my easel when I paint.

My daughterinlaw is going to FINALLY have her bunions removed. She has been in a lot of pain because of them. They evidently run in her family.

Deborah, Love the paintings.
Lynn, The birches on the forest floor are wonderul!

I'm currently reading a book by artist Kurt Anderson. It's really interesting. My DIL checked it out at the library. It's called "Realistic Oil Painting Techniques". Pretty good read if anyone is looking for new ensights on painting.(or just like me, loves to read period!)
Hope everyone is staying cool-it has been almost 100 degrees here everyday.
Jennylynne

pastellady
07-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh, almost forgot! The opening reception for the one woman show went great and I even sold a painting and have a commission for another! YEAH!
Jennylynne

Lynndidj
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Jennylynne - congratulations on selling a painting and on your show - that is wonderful.

I am sitting on the deck of the cottage looking at Lake Michigan - it is breathtakingly beautiful and cool up here (72 degrees and breezy!). The stress of care-taking for my Mom is gone, and my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. Our son was up for a couple of days and left today, so I miss him, but truly, I could stay up here for the rest of my life ... if only :-) I think my pastels are going to be calling to me tomorrow - after the rest of our company leaves!! Hope you are all having wonderfully creative days!!

Lynn

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Jennylynne, congratulations on the sale and your show going so well. That's fantastic news. Glad to hear that your little dog's cancer could be stage one, easily treatable, and that the presurgical meds are reducing the tumor. That's great news too. Your PA buddy is so cool.

That's the one thing I can't do with Ari, take him out PA painting. He's strictly an Indoor Cat although he is definitely my pasteling pal -- considering that he decided to sign my Spotlight painting.

Lynn, that's neat that my cat and your daughter's dog share a nickname - with completely different roots. My cat's full name is Aristophenes Mr. Robert's Cat Sloan. I named him after an ancient Greek comedy writer. I learned the hard way never to name cats after thieves, psycho killers or adventurous characters full of wanderlust. They tend to live up or down to their names.

I had an up and down day with some dramatically good bits. I did a watercolor pencil sketch of a couple of birds, need to put something else on the page to scan and post it for my art journal thread. The middle of the day got hot and I got sick, but then it cooled and I felt better so I finally got around to finishing taking down my sketchwall. My daughter helped me put some nails in the wall and I hung a painting that's been stuck leaning against a bookcase on the floor for over a year now, plus put two small paintings in frames and got them hung too. Plus got one hung that was framed but just laying on top of my dresser for most of the year.

I have no wall space left, other than a space over my bed for the last two small paintings once they're matted and framed. But my stack of unused Clearance frames just diminished by two and my room looks a lot nicer.

What I need to do is get a cork board and hang it portrait orientation on the back of the bathroom door. It'd be nice to have at least a small sketch-wall area again.

pastellady
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Robert, Yeah everyone around here is praying for my little Buddy. All my plein air friends just can't get over what a good boy he is when I'm painting. Nice to have a friend who helps take credit with his signature on your pastels. Ari sounds like a "cool" cat!

Hope you have more better moments than bad tomorrow and always.
Thanks for the congrats on the sell and the show. Both were a nice thing to cap off my week.
Jennylynne

robertsloan2
07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks! Your good wishes really helped. This morning the temperature dropped to the low eighties when I got up. So I had enough energy to attack the closet. I got a lot of bulky, lightweight things sorted out and shoved up on the top shelves where they're hard to get at -- extra bedding and padding mainly. A couple of huge trash bags full of bubble wrap and packing popcorn that I'm saving to pack fragiles in when I move went down to the basement storage. That cleared up lots of space.

I got a small bookcase, sort of a three shelf foot wide particle board thing, out from the far end of the closet into the room. So I have more shelves to stack pastels and things right in reach -- really handy -- and maybe get the clutter off the front of the big bookcase where I put the jars of Colourfix primer in front of all my good books.

Then I got two boxes of deep storage stuff shoved way in the back where the stack of bedding and stuff started, so now the floor is mostly clear. I can get in there. I can keep sorting it out tomorrow. I left a good spot on the lower shelf right in the middle where it's easy to get at, so tomorrow or later on I'll stack all the good unused Clearance frames there -- easy to get to and use, out of the way till they have art in them.

Now if I can get the large portfolios out of the back of the closet, I can put the easel I can't use at the far back and the box of foam boards in front of it along with the boxes of boards and other tall stuff. Then put the portfolios in the front of that stack where I can get at full sheets of paper and such that have been buried since the move.

This isn't one day's work to clear out that closet. But if I can get it completely done in small bits at a time and not throw my back, then I'll have a lot more space in my room. All sorts of things that belong in the closet were stacking up out in the room to where I couldn't find anything or move around easily. But that's gradually changing.

It's been a good day. Of course now I need to rest up and do sedentary types of art for the rest of today or I will throw my back. I know the particular feeling, it's not even quite pain, a type of spasm that says "you are about to over do it. Do not pick up anything. Do not bend over. Don't get on your feet till this sensation's over."

I stopped at that point and it feels good to know how far I got. I'd thought of the whole closet thing as impossible without help. Now it's not -- as long as I'm gradual about it.

chuas2
07-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Well I'm finally checking back in after my second 60 hour work week. Been just awful with no time for painting.

So sorry to hear of people's ill health, but am sending warm and healing thoughts out to all of you, and especially to little Buddy, your faithful painting companion, Jennylynne.

When my mom was bedridden and dying last year, my very hyper chihuahua would get up on her bed and lay down next to her with his head on her tummy and just lie there, perfectly still, comforting her. It was so amazing. we couldn't believe it. Usually he's up running around barking. Animals do have a sense of someone being sick...really amazing.

Deborah, sounds like you have a really great son. But you know what? That speaks volumes about his parent(s), so give yourself some credit! :)

Robert, you've been doing some awesome work, I had some peeks over in the spotlight and sketching threads. I'm glad that you don't let your health get in the way of painting completely, even if it is curtailed at times, so we're not deprived of appreciating your work!

I've been thinking about a piece for the past couple weeks and can't wait to get dusty again!
Chuas

Deborah Secor
07-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Look what I got to do today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2010/23609-MONTAGE.jpg

A few of my students and I went down to the ABQ Museum and drew people this morning. I decided it was a perfect place to study moving people, because they move slowly. It was a challenge and loads of fun. Each one of these is in my 3"x5" Moleskine sketchpad. I recommend this as a way to get in some practice drawing people--and no faces! :wink2:

robertsloan2
07-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Deborah, those are great sketches. Such a variety of poses and forms. That must have been startling - most times people drawing in a museum are copying masters, you were drawing the people studying them! Interesting cross section of museum visitors too.

CM Neidhofer
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I have just arrived home from FL.
DIL came on Saturday and is doing MUCH better. They found that she has a deformed pancreas, probably genetic and probably since birth. There could be a collapsed duct running from the malformed area to the actual pancreas and they may have to go back later and stint it, but for now she's on meds and feeling and looking much better, home with baby Saundra and husband Karl and enjoying their new happy little family! :clap:

pastellady
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Oh, Christine what fantastic news. So glad they are doing better and can finally be a family together.

Robert, sounds like you had a great day! I'm so glad.

Deborah, what a great thing to do with students. Those are great!

Sara, Animals are amazing! Buddy is doing well after his surgery but is very sore and tired. He finally managed to do his business which they were worried about since the surgery is really close to important places. He was so happy to see me when I picked him up his little tail just wagged. He is such a sweetheart, at least for me. We have to watch him cause he bruised way more than they thought he should so if that starts to spread he'll need to go in quickly. He's been on prednisone so it probably is that they think.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!1
Jennylynne

CM Neidhofer
07-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Couldn't resist an update! Here's baby Saundra and momma and grandma with her, all healthy again and starting a new life. You see she's already a genius, waving at grandma like that! :lol:

pastellady
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Great pics, Grandma Chris.

I just got off the phone with the vet. Buddy's tumor was Stage 1 cancer and there was no cancer found beyond the perimeter of it. They think his future looks bright. I am more than happy to know that my little plein aire painting companion will be going with me for years to come. Yeah!!!!! Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers for him.
Jennylynne

CM Neidhofer
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Good for Buddy, and you!! :clap: :clap:

Shirl Parker
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Here's a link to the new Scumble. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8941811#post8941811)