PDA

View Full Version : Dena's first Moleskine (Pocket)

suruchi
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone, :wave:
I've been on WC for a fw months and normally spend my time over in pastels. However my art interests also include watercolor, graphite, charcoal and pen and ink. I've been totally addicted to reading about all of your journals everyday so I'm jumping in with my own. I'm very new to journaling and have been doodling for a month or so. I finally got the nerve to use the Moleskines I bought a couple weeks ago. Robert knows that story! :lol:

This first drawing is of my mom's recipe box. The text reads:
"In January, 2009, a few weeks before her death, Mom and I sat together on a Sunday afternoon and went through all her recipes. Although she had books of recipes she had collected over the years, this is the one I remember from my childhood. A little metal box that was a gift at her wedding in 1947."
Watercolor pencils, regular colored pencils and Tombow pens

suruchi
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
This is a graphite sketch I just did today. It is of a spur belonging to my ex-husband. I'm planning to do two graphite drawings as a gift for my son. One will be of his dad's spurs and the other will be of his own. In our family we are blessed in that my husband and I are best friends with my ex and his wife. Didn't happen easily or quickly but it did happen. What a joy for all of us! :thumbsup:
P.S. Since I like to work in graphite and charcoal, I cut some pieces of glassine to fit the pages in my journals and keep them in the back pocket of each. That will prevent the smudging ruining the facing page.

suruchi
06-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Can someone tell me how to correct the spelling for "pocket" in the title of this thread? Or can a guide do it for me? Thanks!
Dena

Jakesgram
06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Dena, I love this idea for recording "memories" in a sketchbook. I have so many keepsakes kind of collecting dust and it would be a great idea to get them down on paper as sketches in one place. Not sure if you intend to use the whole book for that or not, but your first two are such wonderful, nostalgic sketches.

I love the image of your Mom's recipe book. I think that is Pennsyvania Dutch style decoration, if I am not mistaken. I remember my Mom having some similar little boxes when I was growing up, but they have long since gone by the wayside.

Also, beautifully done spurs. That will make a great gift for your son. I'm looking forward to seeing more sketches.

Jean

suruchi
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Jean! I don't really know what will end up in that little Moleskine. I guess whatever attracts my interest that day. I thought the one of my mom's recipe box would be a cute way to start it. That is a great idea to do more "memory" type things. I'm sure we all have plenty of them stashed away!
Dena

mhimeswc
06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I love the story behind both of your sketches, and the sketches themselves, of course. Great way to start a sketchbook.

Vivien Maloney
06-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I love the stories behind your sketches, and found the recipe box of your Mum"s especially poignant. I also have old recipe books of my Mum's. Wonderful spur sketch too.

virgo68
06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Dena, what a great start and a lovely idea to capture things that have a meaning for you. You are indeed fortunate to be able to be friends with your ex and new partners - but for your children, even more so. I have so many friends whose children suffer because they can't get along after the split..... Anyway, thanks for sharing and I would love to see the spurs project, let us know which forum they will be in! :)

suruchi
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Jackie, Viv and Michelle! I'm going to love doing these journals! I just received my Yarka w/c pan set today so expect to see my w/c journal soon. As for the spur drawings, I'm thinking they will get posted in the drawing channel. I haven't started them yet but plan to soon. My son's BD is in August and I'd like to give them to him for that occasion.
Dena

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
What great memories and sketches. This is wonderful, so full of life.

jacquip
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Dena this is a great start. Love the drawings done so far and the stories behind them. Aren't moleskines just so nice to draw in? Love the spur, hope to see the finished drawing.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Dena, love the first two drawings and the stories behind them. That rocks. Lovely tonal work on the spur, it's got a great metal effect.

To get a title corrected, you need to message the moderator of the forum. The mod will go in and fix it for you.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Dena, love the first two drawings and the stories behind them. That rocks. Lovely tonal work on the spur, it's got a great metal effect.

To get a title corrected, you need to message the moderator of the forum. The mod will go in and fix it for you.

suruchi
07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks Debby, Robert and Jacqui. Robert, how do I find out who the moderator is?

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Look at the first few posts of the entire forum -- the sticky posts. A moderator's going to have "Moderator" in bold where you have Senior Member and I've got A WC Legend, then click on the moderator's name and choose send private message when you're on the mod's personal page.

I think JamieWG is our Moderator here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=13766 - just use that link and then PM Jamie.

Serenity
07-02-2010, 03:08 AM
A wonderful start to your journal, Dena! :thumbsup:

I've only recently purchased Moleskine journals in sketchbook and watercolour formats but, as yes, I've been a little scared to make a start in them. I'm used to working in the cheaper sketchbooks.

vhere
07-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Memories .... it will be a nice one for the family to keep and look back on in the distant future :)

suruchi
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks Robert. I did send Jacqui a message and it is fixed!

eyepaint
07-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I love this project.

Can someone tell me how to correct the spelling for "pocket" in the title of this thread? Or can a guide do it for me? Thanks!
Dena

I've sent a note to the moderators. You can do it to by clicking the red triangle in the top right of a post.

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Thanks for letting me know that, EP. I never realized that or what the red triangle was for.

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 02:31 AM
I didn't realise what it was for either Ep, so I've learnt something also.

eyepaint
07-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Robert and Viv - you're welcome. From what I understand, it sends a PM to all (?) the moderators of a forum. And I think most (?) of them get instant email notification so it reaches them faster than a PM. We guides don't get access to all the tools that the moderators have.

JamieWG
07-04-2010, 10:13 AM
FYI....

The "report post icon" --- exclamation point inside the red triangle --- sends an email to the forum moderators with a link to the thread being reported, and a link from the specific post on that thread where the triangle was clicked. That makes it much easier for us to find the problem than if somebody sends a PM and says, "Would you please correct my thread" with no link to the thread they want fixed! So, most moderators do prefer that you use the report post icon whenever there is a problem, or to bring a potential problem to our attention.

I actually corrected this a few days ago already, then received a second report, but it looks fine to me. Those individual posts that still display the misspelling were either posted before the correction, or are quoting posts from before the correction.

To find the Moderator for a particular forum, go to the main page for that forum. At the bottom of the page, on the right side, the current Forum Moderators are listed. We used to have the Guides listed there also, but that part of the WC software has not been working for quite some time.

Since Moderators do change over time, swap forums, and come and go, the names on the Sticky threads etc. are not necessarily the current Moderators of the forum.

Jamie

suruchi
07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks you Jamie and Eye for the info! And thanks to Jamie for the "fix".
Dena

SWORDSNAKE007
04-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Great great work Dena

beautiful.....keep working on it...

Kema
04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Love the recipe box! It reminds me how my really best inheritances are my grandfather's C-clamps and my grandmother's old beat up cookie tin - things they used that I can use too and think of them.

Looking forward to seeing watercolor sketches. I love Yarkas! To me they're worth lugging around without having a traveling watercolor kit. Not too bad actually. I have a lightweight nylon bag made to be a purse, and the Yarka set just fits in the bottom of it.

Joan T
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm glad this popped up near the top of the thread, cause I missed it up until now. I love the recipe box and the story about looking thru it with your mom. Great job on the spurs too...hope to see more.