PDA

View Full Version : FEAR is the Thief of Dreams Journal

virgo68
06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I continue to return to the quote "Fear is the thief of Dreams" to remind myself to keep trying new things when it comes to creativity. In an effort to keep my sketchbook/journal as something exploratory or fun rather than trying to create finished "art works", I picked up this really cheap journal. The paper is not good, almost like a "butcher's paper" texture that will probably yellow and age really quickly (although I like this idea as one of the projects I wish to explore in this journal will be aged or "traditional" drawing styles) and will not stand the test of time for a piece of work to be sold or framed. Thus making sure I do not labour to intensely on anything in it :crossfingers: :lol:

So, here is the start of the first page "before" I played about:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/139618-Dream_Cupid.jpg

I wanted to scan it first before I "played with it" to see whether I prefer the before or after picture!
This is "after" I used various pens - Pitt artist pen, pigma micron and stabilos, then coloured over top with pencils - Stabilo soft colour, prismacolors and some really cheap and nasty Faber Castell metallic pencils (I think they were my son's, but they migrated into my stash!).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/139618-002.jpg

And a close up so you can see I am trying to loosen up! My usual style of drawing is quite realistic and I try to blend the heck out of everything so I am trying to show more texture and experiment...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/139618-001.jpg

I like the idea of using this journal to look at a subject - I particularly like reading about myths (mostly celtic), new age ideas, and love looking at images of angels, fairies and "make-believe" characters that are other wordly. So I am thinking that maybe I can use this journal to free my "realistic, logical" mind and look at broadening my outlook.

I hope I am not boring you all too badly - I get all enthusiastic about trying something new but the novelty wears off, and I settle down eventually :rolleyes:

virgo68
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
PS I forgot to say what size it is - this one is A4!

RainySea
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Love the title and theme of your new journal, Jackie. That statement is so true. . . I let fear get in my way far to much in my life. And its probably the biggest reason I have not started my own journal thread even though I do have several going!

I love the color version. . .

This looks like you are already having fun. I will try to check back in as often as I can to see your progress.

mhimeswc
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Great quote! I too let fear stop me from doing a lot of things that I want to do.

Your drawing is really good, and I love the color you added. Nice start!

DrDebby
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Great theme for your journal. Yes, fear does indeed steal ones dreams and make one "conform" even if it isn't the best thing for us. You picture is lively and fun. Looking forward to what else you do with this.

Davkin
06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Interesting theme and great drawing. It's definately an issue I need to work on.

David

Jakesgram
06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Jackie - There is no WAY that this journal will bore me. It promises to be very, very interesting and thought provoking if the start is any indication. I have never met an artist who has not, at least sometimes, been plagued by fear. I love all the subjects you say you are interested in and can't wait to see you exploring them. The title page is fantastic - and I love the colors you have chosen for it. Oh, do I ever need to broaden my outlook from the "logical / realistic" too.

Very nice start!

Jean

prismalos
06-30-2010, 05:16 AM
Great theme! It never hurts to try new things every once in a while, eh?

robertsloan2
06-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Jackie, this is great! I like your theme, I love the title and the cherub or putti is marvelous. The colours you used and the strong highlighting and deep darks really make him pop. The textures are grand, it reminds me of a lot of illustrations I've loved including Brian Froud's. Keep going! I try to loosen up sometimes too, and this style of drawing rather than painting with coloured pencils has its own beauty.

virgo68
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks everyone, you are all so encouraging, it is lovely to be here!

My thoughts have been running along the subjects that I like to look at - in particular I enjoy the English Victorian era. I have never tried collage before and was thinking about collage/decoupage etc and decided to print out the half finished cherubs onto a thicker cream paper I found in my "stash of stuff"! It is not finished but I plan to keep adding "things" as I find them....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2010/139618-001_3.jpg

Variety of pens, cp's, gold and silver pens, and found objects - a silk ivy leaf, wrapping paper

Jakesgram
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh, I really like where this is going. You're inspiring me!!!

Jean

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Very interesting combination of media. This is really coming together. The colors are perfect.

jacquip
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Jackie you have made an awesome and awe inspiring start here. Great to see the progression of this stunning cover image. I can't wait to see more and more. I like the idea of the "cheap" paper to get an old feel and reduce the stress and pressure of creating masterpieces. Though I think you have no worries there, you work is fantastic. Thanks so much for starting another journal to follow and be inspired by.

Davkin
07-01-2010, 01:23 AM
With your skills I can't imagine what you might be afraid of when it comes to art. Very nice!

David

virgo68
07-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks to all again, David, believe me I have fears........ about all sorts of things but especially art!

OK, got cover page done, I liked the cut and paste stuff and looked at some Victoriana pages on the net and here is what I did..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2010/139618-001_6.jpg

Then I got to thinking that I would like to print out some of my old drawings and alter them in the same way as the cupid pic. Again I used some coloured paper I have had for ages and would probably never use for cp drawing....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2010/139618-001_5.jpg

The paper was almost a mustard colour. I thought I would try to make it look like I had cut and pasted and torn the paper even though I haven't. Not as successfull as I had hoped but it was fun doing it!

virgo68
07-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Funny but now I have posted and looked at it on the screen I can see things I haven't done or should have done..... ah well, next time!

prismalos
07-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Great paper effect, Jackie! It's got that pop-up story book feel to it, very 3D.

mhimeswc
07-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Jackie, I always see things that I should have done differently after I see my painting on the screen. Not sure why that is, since I didn't see those things in the actual painting. It's a good way to check out your composition.

Aiylah
07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
This is looking to be a very promising journal! I really like your illustrations so far and that last one with the "ripped page" is very convincing. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.
I too see things on screen that I don't see on paper :lol: especially in drawings. Sometimes I think it's because I draw with my head slightly tilted, but I look at my screen "normally" i.e. with a straight head.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
The finished cover is gorgeous. So is the ripped page drawing, that's very effective. I like that kind of thing, have seen it going back as far as Renaissance manuscripts with torn paper or curled edges and sometimes nails tacking it to the page. The eyelets and ribbon are great too, it's got this layered, complex look that's fascinating.

Surreal in the truest sense, these drawings look like something I'd find in a dream, or like a scrapbook of dream images. Well done! The title's perfect for its theme too.

DrDebby
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
You images are fascinating. I'm really liking what you are doing with this. The ripped pages are awesome.

vhere
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
a great theme :)

dolors
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Wonderful drawings Jackie, I can't wait to see what more will you do in your sketchbook.

Vivien Maloney
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Jackie - This is wonderful and I like your theme. The cover-page and the ripped page are awesome.

eyepaint
07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Wonderful theme. Lovely drawings both in monochrome and then in colour when you add it.

virgo68
07-07-2010, 02:26 AM
I am embarrassed to show this page but I read someone else's comment somewhere about showing the mistakes as well as the successes! This page was just meant to see how the cheap paper of this journal reacted to some water so I could possibly use the graphitints, I think the results speak for themselves..... the paper is very buckled (and the girl with mask is just plain ugly - sorry!):crying:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2010/139618-001.jpg

So dry media only for this book I think :evil:

Davkin
07-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I wish my mistakes were that good! You have nothing to be embarrassed about with that page.

David

vhere
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
agreed - nothing to be embarassed about :)

it's a page of experiments and it's fine - ideas are there for working on more in the future, you've learned what the paper will and will not tolerate - all useful stuff.

DrDebby
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Experiments are just that, experiments. You don't know how they will turn out, that's why you do them. This page has a lot of information in it. You should see the results of some of my candy experiments. :rolleyes: This is nothing to be embarrassed about at all. It's all about learning. I like the colors you were achieving. And your woman in the mask is better than anything I could come up with.

jacquip
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Jackie personally I think this is another stunning page. One of my sketchbooks buckle with water but I still use it now and then, it is just a sketchbook and for playing with. Use it how you want, you don't have to aim for perfection all the time :) It will be a great record of your experiments and fun. Hope I don't sound too preachy... :)

virgo68
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words, I told you it was going to be a goal to learn to loosen up in the sketchbook, so it is all part of the "journey" for me hehe!

Jacqui one of the nice "positives" for me when the paper buckles and crinkles like that is the lovely sound it makes as you turn the paper and it becomes more "tactile" also. There is a silver lining...... :)

robertsloan2
07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Jackie, don't run down this beautiful page. It cockled and it's not the best for water media, but it's beautiful. I don't think the girl with mask is a failure, she's beautiful. I've seen worse on official mardi gras posters. The way you've laid out the page is gorgeous. I like it. Definitely keep going!

virgo68
07-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Thank you Robert - I didn't mean to sound so negative, being a typical Virgo I have high expectations of myself and forget to "loosen up and relax" which is one of the reasons I started a journal/sketchbook. I am making small in-roads to that purpose (LOL). Although I disliked the mask girl, I do like the washes I achieved on the page so not a total loss....

This forum is a lovely place to hang out, thanks for the encouraging words from all :)

mhimeswc
07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Great page, Jackie! I can relate - I'm rarely happy with anything that I do - at least not immediately. After a few days (or sometimes weeks) when I can forget "the painting in my head", I can appreciate the actual painting that I did on paper.

Vivien Maloney
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Pages that buckle with water are a nuisance but I think your's looks fine. I find, when they buckle, they are extremely difficult to scan, so I try to avoid the thinner pages for water-media. You have some beautiful sketches here and I look forward to following your sketchbook.

Joan T
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Jackie - Your cover page is AWESOME!!! I hate when you try to do something and the journal page doesn't cooperate. I can't wait to see more!

TaniaBee
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Jackie - these pages are stunning. That page that you were embarrassed about is gorgeous. Sheesh, you really don't need to feel bad about that!! Love looking at your sketchbooks... :)

Whisperwood
07-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Jackie - the way your mind works is "otherworldly"!!! It's incredible what you come out with! The colors you use, the subjects you draw and the layout of different pieces put together is just amazing. Staring at the screen in awe...

virgo68
07-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks again for the encouragement, it is spurring me on!

I have scanned and uploaded this sketch, as I plan to print some out and play with them before I progress further and thought it would be (hopefully) interesting to see how one drawing could go a few different ways (maybe!)

Angel Dog:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2010/139618-001_2.jpg

So, the plan is to print, cut and paste and experiment with colours/media but not keep re-drawing the image over and over :crossfingers:

TaniaBee
07-15-2010, 05:42 AM
this is gorgeous - looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

virgo68
07-15-2010, 06:09 AM
First page of playing with colour, top one is inktense and bottom colour pencils

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/139618-001_7.jpg

I printed onto really cheap watercolour paper, so not ideal but good enough for playing with colours. Still getting the hang of the inktense - I keep trying to blend them like watercolour pencils and they don't quite work the same!

virgo68
07-15-2010, 06:23 AM
A line from a song that I like.... I thought it fitted the theme of my journal so I used stickers, ball point pen and inktense to just "doodle" something....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/139618-001_8.jpg

I'm going to try and find quotes, lyrics etc that motivate me in some way and add them to this journal, who knows I might actually dig the calligraphy pens out and do it properly one day!!

dolors
07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Ohhh! I love the dog! very well done!

RiJoRi
07-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I think the radiating color looks good because it is echoing the dog's wings.

It's probably my odd mind, but I see the dog's expression as embarrassed or worried! :D Maybe he's concerned that he's turning into one of those butterflies! :lol:

--Rich

Whisperwood
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Love the angel dog! I too like the colours radiating out like a star burst. Kind of reminds me of the Northern Lights too... very cool!

DrDebby
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Cute angel dog. Interesting colors and media. I like the starburst look with the, but I think I like the colors better on the cross hatched version. However, they both look good. Nice work up of the lyrics. I think calligraphy pens would work very well in your journal.

virgo68
07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2010/139618-001_9.jpg
Using the cut and paste method with a laserjet copy printed onto watercolour paper to look at how the composition can be changed - guess who has made an appearance?! This saves a lot of time redrawing from scratch. I used Derwent Graphitints for the colour and although the paper quality is poor and I got a bit heavy handed with the colour, I like the way the subtle colours of the graphitints work with the pen drawing.

DrDebby
07-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Harry has a guardian angel dog. Cute. Can you use better paper in your printer to achieve what you want?

virgo68
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks Debby, I could use better paper in the printer but for the "playing" around I am using up all the stuff I have laying around ( - you know the stuff you buy, get it home and then realise it is rubbish!) instead of throwing it out. When I am happy with the colours etc I will try it on better paper or just alter the original version ;)

mhimeswc
07-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I like your method of doing color studies - this one's my favorite. Love the addition of the bunny too.

JTMB
07-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi Jackie,

Very nice journal! I really like the pooch.

jacquip
07-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Great drawing with the angel dog. Really liked the colour playing starburst effect. The last version with Harry is so gorgeous. What a great story it evokes. The colours are much more subtle here but very effective still.

Great song lyrics too. You do calligraphy too... great.

Really enjoying watching you work. THanks for sharing.

TaniaBee
07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Jackie - your journal is amazing.
i love how you experiment with different pencils to get the best out of it.

That page with the words from that song is awesome - it looks like you've bought the embellishments and stuck them on - it's really great!!

loving your journal!!

lawn jockey
07-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Very creative, and well-done, great message. Can't wait to see where this leads you and inspires the rest of us!

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Excellent angel dog and variations. I liked your page with the lyric too, so splendid and baroque yet also jazzy. Love the colors you used. Clever to do three different variations, each of which is cool in its own way. The Graphitints one is subtle and has the rabbit as well, the radiating rainbow one bright and cheery, and the warm colors slanting rather than radiating looks charming in its own way.

Now of course I hope you'll do a flying cat! Most cats believe they can fly anyway, so a winged cat would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it?

christinemlr
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Jackie, I finally got to reading your thread all through, and its such a good one, with such a great theme to explore your individual art style with. All your pages are really interesting, the collaging, the quote page, the colour trials, and the buckled watercolour page -are all very expressive of you and the final? angel dog with the rabbit is lovely. (How do we know his name is Harry? is he your pet rabbit?) I think this is a such a good working journal of your ideas. Have you done any other kind of sketch/experimental journal work like this before or is this a new way for you? Are you finding it helpful to you?
What are those two important words? Keep going!
Xina

virgo68
07-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks all, it is so nice that you all take the time to look and comment :)

Xina, Harry appeared in my pen and ink (plus) sketchbook, so that is how he is known by name by some!

Robert inspired me to try something out with colours. I was particularly taken by his goldfinch in yellows so I thought about how the Thief of Dreams journal is about not being scared to try new things out. So I am playing (in between other projects) with experimental colour combinations without being too fussed about how good the drawing is. The aim for myself is to use some of the colours in my many collections that NEVER seem to get used. My greens, purples, browns and pinks disappear from my sets first and I seem to have whole pencils in blue, red, yellow and orange that have NEVER been used! These pages are side by side but my scanner is not big enough to scan it that way. The information on the left page is about a great little book I found at the library so I have made a note of it's details so I can borrow it again in the future.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/139618-001_11.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/139618-002_2.jpg

Ultimately, in this journal I would like to find colours, medium and style of drawing that enable me to create images that look "old", and even though the paper quality is cheap in this book I am enjoying the fact that this allows me the freedom in my mind to let go more and be relaxed. I am even starting to embrace the "wrinkled" look!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/139618-001_10.jpg

virgo68
07-22-2010, 01:12 AM
PS Robert - a flying cat is on the list of things to try next! I was thinking of doing a series of animal pics for cards titled "Animals with Attitude". So far I have two versions of a Jester Cat and the Angel Dog. So a flying cat and Harry in some disguise are planned for the future!

TaniaBee
07-22-2010, 03:50 AM
These pages are awesome.

I love your yellow page, the way you've used those colours is so inspiring!!!

I really enjoy watching all your experiments with colours & pencils!!

Did you do these pages with Faber Castel Water Colour Pencils?? They look really nice to use!!

Your page with the leaves and flowers is stunning - wish i could paint so nicely in a 5 minute period!!

mhimeswc
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Jackie, love the quotes in your book page, and the experiments in your yellow and green pages. Nice additions to your sketchbook. Your female figure (angel?) has the look of an old statue. Was that what you were going for?

Whisperwood
07-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with Tania - your "5 minute sketches" would take me 5 hrs LOL!
I love the green and purples, very pretty... your leaves are great too! And I love the yellows and browns you used in the face - that reminds me of the "Earth Goddess" you did! I loved it for the same reasons - those lovely, natural, muted colours. Definitely do more with them!

DrDebby
07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Great quotes. Really wonderful woman with the yellows. Your plants are gorgeous. Love what you are doing here, very inspiring.

virgo68
07-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Tania, Michelle, Rachel and Debby - I find it difficult to do these quick studies rather than finished pieces (Virgo in me I guess, I just want everything to be perfected drawings rather than quick sketches even though I know I am learning a lot by doing this!) so your encouragement is lovely. Yay Michelle, yes I was trying for an old statue look. The ref picture was a stone statue of an angel but very grey and lilac in colour, so I wanted to try out her regal look but with the different colours :)

Whisperwood
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Tania, Michelle, Rachel and Debby - I find it difficult to do these quick studies rather than finished pieces (Virgo in me I guess, I just want everything to be perfected drawings rather than quick sketches even though I know I am learning a lot by doing this!)

I hear you completely! I want to learn how to do quicker sketches. (that still look good, like yours!) I try to be too much of a perfectionist most of the time and find it can put me off doing anything sometimes because I know it will take me forever! I can be so impatient! You're doing great!

jacquip
07-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Jackie your yellow pages are awesome. What a stunning statue figure. Great colours. You are so good at drawing and conveying shape and texture. I love your sketches of the flowers and leaves. Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

I have a few of the Faber Castel watercolour pencils and love them. Want to build up to a full set. Have some old Derwents which I use too.

Your sketchbook is certainly achieving what you were aiming for. Keep at it, please.

virgo68
07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks again Rachel and Jacqui :wave:

Just to prove that not all things turn out as I see them in my head..... :evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/139618-001_2.jpg

I was attempting to get a layered/collaged look, suggesting old paper in the background and the angel dog is loose so he can be pulled out and used as a book mark or whatever. I'd been thinking about making some hand made greeting cards but now......... :eek:

virgo68
07-28-2010, 11:35 PM
PS on the positive side..... I do like the colours in the wings/dog :)

DrDebby
07-29-2010, 12:13 AM
It is a layered collage. And the little dog is cute as ever. Try again, see if you can get closer to your vision.

TaniaBee
07-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Jackie, that happens to me allot, i have a vision and then BAM!! it doesn't come out that way.... but this looks great in any case - and i think you should take up card making, why not!! You'll be fantastic at it!
The dog wing colours do look really nice - i just blends in with your whole page!

vhere
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
That idea would make a great card :)

virgo68
09-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks Debbie, Tania and Vivien :wink2:

This sketchbook has morphed into a sketchbook/scrapbook/journal. I have been pasting examples of work that I like or references that I might be able to use down the track and making lists of themes and ideas for pursuing as art works. The paper in this book is like newsprint and quite limiting for trying too many mediums in so I figured it could be a good "ideas" book. So, it might not be shown on here very often......:o

I have been thinking about Robert's idea for a sketchbook challenge to fill a book in the month of October. I have some ideas that I would like to work through or pursue a bit more seriously (and thought that challenge would enable me to dedicate the time to it) so I started to research some subjects on the internet. I figured I could put the information in this journal in a way that might become more meaningful to me. Here is what I have put in it today.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2010/139618-idea_page.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2010/139618-Samhain_page_1_001.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2010/139618-samhain_page_2_001.jpg

Sizun
09-14-2010, 02:55 AM
This is a great journal. I like the way you're experimenting with composition and your pages with a main color. About it evolving to a scrapbook to gather ideas : it happens very often to me, even if I have a separate notebook to note down my ideas. It seems they just have to interfere with my drawings...
I know what Beltaine was, is Samhain a celtic event ? (I could google it, but I rather have you say a bit more about it) :)

rmcbuckeye
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm wondering, what are Derwent Graphtints? How are they exactly used? I'm curious about that one.. kind of interested into trying it as well, but not sure yet. Love your drawings, they're very inspirational.

JTMB
09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi Jackie,

Your work in this journal is really fantastic and inspirational! The Celtic pages are amazing, especially the freehand design. There was a guy in my last drawing class who drew Celtic knot designs - my head exploded when I got thinking about what it would take to do one of those designs freehand. Looking forward to more great stuff here.

vhere
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Your calligraphy is really lovely with a beautiful balance to it

jacquip
09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Glad to see you have come back to this journal, I have been keeping an eye out :) The calligraphy is wonderful. Stunning. An impressive way to express ideas.

virgo68
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Sizun, yes it is one of the celtic festivals otherwise known as Halloween. I am really interested in celtic myths/gods and goddesses, and thought I would do some research on the subject and make my notes a little project in themself.

Rachel, derwent Graphitints are watersoluble pencils that are graphite with a slight tint of colour. If you use then dry, the colour is very muted but if you add water they become brighter. I have had my set for a long time and never really come to grips with them or used them much, so have been experimenting a little with them.

John, thanks! I am not much good at knots but something that I have always loved looking at, who knows... there might be some knots practised in these pages soon :evil:

Vivien, thanks for your lovely words - I don't know if I can call it calligraphy when it is not planned out and done freehand?! :o But I do enjoy scribbling down different styles.......

Jacqui, thankyou, I did have such grand visions for this sketchbook/journal in the beginning so really should have chosen one with better paper, but I love it anyway :heart: !!

Ok, so a bit boring but I scanned it to show you the sort of things I am pasting into this book. I have been perusing lots of different artists work with a celtic theme and am particularly drawn to pen and ink illustrations anyway. Anything taking my fancy is being printed out and stuck in to remind me of what I had in mind for a "celtic inspired project".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2010/139618-example_of_page_001.jpg

More practising writing out different font styles... as you can tell by the wonky lines, I am not ruling up or measuring - I am just putting it down as I go. It is more about getting the ideas out, not pursuing a finished piece of calligraphy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2010/139618-samhain_page_3_001.jpg

robertsloan2
09-14-2010, 11:31 PM
These are so beautiful. It's a wonderful theme and even though you haven't ruled for them, your calligraphy is so inspiring!

I have no idea what Southern Hemisphere pagans do for the holidays. It would make sense to me to celebrate them in the seasons as they really happen rather than on the dates they fall in the Northern Hemisphere, since the idea is to attune to the rhythms of nature.

Makes me wish for a Star Trek transporter though, to head down there and enjoy the springtime with you! It'll come though, as your leaves are turning and your winter creeps closer, mine will break and I'll have warm green again.

DrDebby
09-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Beautiful ideas and lettering practice.

Whisperwood
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Love the Calligraphy Jackie!

virgo68
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Robert Debbie and Rachel!

I had a dabble with the graphitints again. As the paper in this sketchbook is very poor for washes I did it on a piece of canson ca grain and I am going to paste this into the book.

It is a friend's little boy with their kitty Max. Graphitints with a little graphite ranging from 5H to HB. Another one of those playing with "strange" colour choices!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2010/139618-TJ_and_Max.jpg
As usual, once I post it I can see all the errors - but that is the point of sketches huh? Chance to correct stuff before doing the real thing or practising?!

Davkin
09-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Errors? What errors? This is wonderful, and the kind of subdued feeling I would expect from the use of graphitint. I have a set of 24 but haven't done anything with them yet.

David

JTMB
09-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Very nice, Jacqui! I brought home a 12-color set of Graphitint's today. Yet another medium to play with...:o .

vhere
09-22-2010, 03:27 AM
you are getting very subtle shading with them

I've had a go with one of my students sets but never actually bought any ..... yet

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Jackie, that's fantastic. I love the soft colors and subtle textures of graphitints, you did that so smoothly. Beautiful fur texture on poor Max, who's hanging there with the kind of bewildered, patient discomfort look cats get when hugged by small children. (If I claw him, I'll die. If I just hang here and don't breathe maybe he'll get tired and drop me. Someone? Help?) The boy looks ecstatic and the cat looks - self-disciplined. (No. I can't go clawing up my humans' kitten. He's just a kitten.)

Absolutely wonderful. Perfect characterization. This could've been Gabriel and Gemini around before we moved.

Whisperwood
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh yea TONS of errors... all OVER the place! WHATEVER!! LOL This is brilliant! Gosh I'd love to be able to capture people and animals like that, amazing! I like your work with the graphitints!

DrDebby
09-22-2010, 06:22 PM
This is priceless.

virgo68
09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
:o Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound pompous! After studying life drawing for so long I am a bit picky with my own work when it comes to drawing people, old habits die hard and all that....! I found that once I saw it on the screen I thought the colours seem a bit different to real life and the shading on his face and nose is off a little. :( I did say that was one of the purposes for my sketchbooks to work through ideas and practise (and get some things wrong too - and it is working :D )

David, John, Vivien and Rachel - the graphitints are a bit unique I think - if you use the pencil to draw with and then wash they appear one colour, but if you lift the colour from the tip of the pencil and paint with it then it appears to be quite a different colour. Weird - Robert may have found that too?

They are wonderfully eerie and I was thinking they will do the dryads/nature fairy characters quite well.

Rachel - sorry, it is those virgo traits pushing their way out again ;)

Robert - you're spot on - Max does look long-suffering :lol: One of the reasons I wanted to use this pic for drawing practise when I saw it! My first attempt was to incorporate it into a illustrative fantasy design but I stuffed up the background. TJ's mum and grandma own a shop that sells all sorts of magical fairy stuff, spiritual books, incense, jewellry, dreamcatchers etc etc and I wanted to do something for them but I haven't nailed it - YET!! So for now, I am just practising getting his expression right and of course Max's too!

virgo68
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Here was the first attempt - it is too big for the scanner so it has more to the dreamcatcher at the top and fairy on the right! (the characters are based on figurines and statues that can be bought in the store). I might try to erase as much of the vivid green background and see if I can salvage it but have put it aside for now. I was trying for the children's illustration sort of look and feel.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2010/139618-spellbound3.JPG

Perfect case in point for using the sketchbook to work it through FIRST rather than jumping in like I always seem to do :lol:

Originally this was going to be entered into a local art show - as TJ's family own a business in the town I thought it would tie in to the art show nicely but it was around the time I had surgery and I just ran out of time to get it finished and framed etc. However, TJ's mum is keen on me following it through for a xmas gift maybe, so it will have another chance of being finished yet!

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
The first one is beautiful too! I like the fairy figurines and dream catcher and background. You did get both the boy's expression and the patient cat's long-suffering look so well in the first one too.

Keep going with the series. I think it's wonderful, and since you're working toward a vision you will eventually have it just right for their gift. I know they'll love it. I'd roll on the floor laughing and then treasure it if I saw that and it was my grandson with our family cat Gemini - who did let the boy squeeze him like that.

Max is a very gentle, good natured cat since you have a reference for this! Congratulate him and give him a scritch from an admirer the next time you see him, that's an impressive level of feline patience.

DrDebby
09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Great idea. Keep going and you'll achieve your vision. This one is already very good.

Bootz
09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Jackie, I love doing Celtic knot work. It's not hard if you have good instructions, just time consuming...but that is kind of meditative...so good. It's an excuse to buy a new sketchbook with graph paper pages :-)

You were not pompous. We cannot see your "mistakes" but all artists/writers will forever see areas that can be improved, in their own work. We are forever growing. Which artist was banned from going into the museum and touching up his paintings? Writers are notorious for groaning while people talk about their previous books. It's agony for some of them to have them in print.

Pagans usually celebrate seasons by what is happening to the earth where they live, since paganism is more about the ties with the earth itself, than the traditions of interacting with it.

Samhain is also a day of ancestor veneration, and a memorial day for the women killed in the witch trials. It's the pagan new year and the pagan 1st day of winter, (the start of the darkest time of year that peaks at Yule, and ends with the milk harvest of imbolc, the pagan 1st day of spring). It is also the 3rd harvest, the blood harvest, when the animal herds were culled of the animals not worthy of being fed through the winter, and a time of hunting and preserving of meat. It is considered the most important Sabbat by some. It's an amazing inspiration for artwork.

Whisperwood
09-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't think you sounded pompous at all! You have your standards, nothing wrong with that! Keep doing what you're doing :-)
This last one is fantastic! I just love the way you blend your colours together.

virgo68
09-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks Robert Debbie Bootz and Rachel :wink2:

In hindsight when you read back your posts without the benefit of the sound of your voice sometimes what you write doesn't always convey the tone that you meant (if you know what I mean!). I just wanted to clarify my meaning, as I am very hard on myself - in many things not just art - and sometimes that gets misinterpreted :o

I'm thinking a bit more of a play with the graphitints might be in order - I kinda like the eeriness you get with those colours, might try to get onto that later! John, hope you enjoy playing with your new set!

:D Not related to this journal but a bit of art news - I sold two paintings this week that I showed in an exhibition back in June. One of them could have been sold 3 times - maybe I should have done some prints :rolleyes:

virgo68
09-25-2010, 02:07 AM
PS, Bootz, thanks for all the information about Samhain, I am really enjoying doing some research into this subject!

DrDebby
09-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Congrats on the sales. That's fantastic.

Whisperwood
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I completely understand not being able to "read" sometimes what someone is typing! You can trust me when I say I was absolutely joking when I typed my reply and and was smiling from ear to ear LOL! :lol: I would take your little mistakes ANY day LOL!! :D

vhere
09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
congratulations Jackie :)

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Congratulations, Jackie! That's so cool.

jacquip
09-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Congratulations on the sales, well done. Must feel nice every time. :D

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
09-26-2010, 07:05 AM
THIS JOURNAL IS AMAZING

I am LOVING it throughly, and am keen to see more of it as it develops.

CONGRATS on the sales too!!!

Whisperwood
09-26-2010, 01:27 PM
yes - great going on selling your art, thats wonderful!!

virgo68
09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Had a few days in at work and a busy weekend so no new stuff to post....... :(

Whisperwood
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Phew... that makes me feel better!! :D :lol:

virgo68
09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
:lol: hehehehe Rachel, glad to be of assistance! :D

virgo68
09-29-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2010/139618-Be_impeccable_001.jpg
OK back to another quote, this is from a neat little book I just bought called The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. This book has a lot of inspiration that I want to remind myself of so you will probably see a lot of it here. This sketchbook seems a good place for jotting them down in.......

This is also an extension to the experiments using different colours, I like the lime green and lavender combination. In the early days of this sketchbook I hated how the page buckled so much but I am kinda embracing it now - it gives a nice crinkling sound when you turn the page :lol: Again, it is all freehand direct in pen - I just can't be bothered ruling up when this is just "playing"! :D

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Great lettering! The bee is cool too. I like your color combination, the experiment really worked.

Carole A
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Jackie ~ I have that book and you have inspired me to dig it out and re-read it. In fact it is probably a book that should always be on the nightstand for reminder.

Your lettering is great.

Carole A

WYSIWYG
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
This is such a cool journal - I love the calligraphy/illuminated letters and the whole general idea. It's such a neat way to capture all your inspirations!

prismalos
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Love your penwork, Jackie!

DrDebby
09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
The bee is darling. Your lettering is awesome.

vhere
10-01-2010, 05:38 AM
I agree with the above :)

I write quotes in my sketchbooks but just in scruffy handwriting - this is a nice way of making it prominent

virgo68
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
This one is not a work of art but I saw the quote and feel it is a great thought for the day while we work away at our sketchbooks! :)

I think I might do it in calligraphy one day....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2010/139618-001_12.jpg

denyalle
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
That is a wonderful quote Jackie, thanks so much for sharing it!