PDA

View Full Version : I've Got a Secret

cathaden
06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-29-2010/37574_ve_Got_a_Secret_003.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: I've Got a Secret
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I caught my cat sitting beside my daughter's stuffed dog one mo<br>ing...kept it thinking it was so cute...so I painted it!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
In purusing the animal site of wc, I am not anywhere near depicting fur like examples I've seen. So any advice on making my cat look more realistic is appreciated. Any other suggestions before I call it done???<br><br>thanks so much!

ahughes798
06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Wonderful painting! Kitty looks like s/he has fur to me. I wouldn't touch a thing.

song_bird
06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
This is wonderful! Your cat's fur look so soft I can feel it :) As does the stuffed animal. Purrrfect with the expression, too! :cat: Your cat is so alive in this pic.

cathaden
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
thank you ahughes & song bird; he's a funny boy...provides lots of entertainment for us ;)!

valentine girl
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
absolurely adorable. great work on the floor yoo.********sandy

Corby
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Cathaden that is a very beautiful and well done cat! he has lovely eyes. I have a gray cat commission to do and was wondering about the gray eyes. Your example is a definite help to me. I do have an observation about the painting as a whole. It is really about the stuffed dog. He is the largest element. The darkest element as to color and value and texture. One cannot even say that the cat is next in line because the cat and all of the other objects are pretty much the same subdued value, so even the other objects are in competition with the cat.. On those lines I would rethink the painting even though each element is well painted in itself.

cathaden
06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
thanks Sandy...took me a bit to figure out the floor!

Corby- what suggestion would you have for the dog...make him more subdued too? Or increase the values of my cat? He is a big black thing- bigger than the cat in rl; wasn't quite sure how to depict him.

Corby
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Cathaden I would not have necessarily changed the dogs value or other attributes I would have put the cat in front of him so that he served as a real "Zapper" of a contrasting backdrop for the cat. Thus emphasizing the cat instead of crowding him!

cathaden
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I see what you mean, Corby...still working on my comp skills ;)! Thanks for all your input!!

Spyderbabe
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
The dog is wonderful!
I'm wondering about the light rectangle next to the cat. I dont think it adds anything to the piece.

crazywoman53
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
A very nice rendition of the cat and the toy. I wonder however if the painting might read stronger were the flower pot and chair legs eliminated? I think having the wall and floor behind would be enough to tell the story. As it is now my eyes want to go back to the pot and leave the COI. I think then your title would stand stronger as it takes two to share a secret. I agree with Kathleen on the light ray as well. The wood on the floor is very nicely done as well.

cathaden
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
thanks for your comments, Kathleen & crazywoman. I haven't been completely satisfied with the sunspot (too opaque looking)...maybe if I repaint the floor first & then do a glaze of light (or eliminate altogether??); I like the sun because the cat finding the sunspots is so characteristic of him...I'm sure that's why he chose that spot versus wanting to listen to the dog gossip ;)!

Corby
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
ummm...I am not recommending a lot of repainting...I am just reminded of the logic in doing thumbnails in advance so as not to be tied to a reference photo too tightly that might give us trouble later. Also we miss alternatives of which there are always many...Here is another solution one might have gone with, very simple and too the point. I hadn't noted your title and when it came to my attention I couldn't resist doing this version...just another view...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2010/70790-Secret.JPG

cathaden
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Love it Corby!!why didn't I think of that? You guys are such wonderful teachers; I feel Ive learned so much on wc!!!

cathaden
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I made a few tweaks & calling it done. Toned down the sunspot, which looks better to me now...so thanks for all c&c!