PDA

View Full Version : Still Life with Apples and Earthenware Pot

billmahler
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-29-2010/111636_fruitandpot.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still Life with Apples and Earthenware Pot
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 20X16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From the RIL, painted almost exactly as the marvelous fotog captured it.<br>I liked the harmony of the shapes and values.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How does it look?<br>

eyecandy2
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Bill, it looks great. The harmony of color is great with a very nice arrangement. It deserves a frame.
Phil

RiJoRi
06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
It's good, but I find the leftmost apple to be a tad disturbing or discomfiting in that it is VERY close to the edge of the painting, and the high-contrast edge draws the attention to just that spot. That H-C edge also draws the eye to the slightly bright purple reflection on the apple.

I would try lightening the background near the apple with the reddish-brown color, and dimming the purple reflection a little.

(Of course, this could be the result of camera-computer corruption; it may be fine in real life.)

--Rich

jbart
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Beautiful painting Bill. The earth tones and use of color for the apples is just perfect. Mighty fine.

billmahler
06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks all for looking and commenting

I would try lightening the background near the apple with the reddish-brown color, and dimming the purple reflection a little.

(Of course, this could be the result of camera-computer corruption; it may be fine in real life.)

Yes, that area was camera-scarred. The edge is close, but not that close and the reflection is not that bright- there is some glare there.

That said, I saw the issue with being close to the edge but the foto's composition had so much else working for it that I decided to leave is as it is. I'll soften that edge as you suggested, tho. It's too sharp and is pulling the eye there.

cathaden
06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Well Bill, I certainly do not have the expertise of an artist such as yourself, but in spirit of being one of the participants, albeit a minor one & very inexperienced, I do have a slight suggestion. It seems as one back apple looks a little melted into the surrounding ones. I did a quick shadow to show what I mean, but then again, you may have meant to do exactly that.:wink2:

I love this picture & the subtle colors, so please feel free to toss out my idea!

Corby
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Beautiful work Bill! I cannot keep my eye off the ring. It is the anchorage for everything else.

TScottDove
06-30-2010, 04:11 AM
lovely

tgsloth
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
I've seen that you've reaped some thoughtful critiques but for me, this painting is so beautiful and masterful that I can't bring myself to look for flaws. Back in the day, when I was dating Cindy Crawford, I never noticed that she had a mole.

billmahler
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks again to all who looked and commented.
Cathaden, thanks for your thoughtful rendition and suggestion. The edges of the apples where they join are a bit sharper IRL, but not much. I wanted a soft feel there.
TG. What mole? (wink)
I cannot keep my eye off the ring.
Thank you for noticing the ring, Corby. It's what pulled me to the foto.

cathaden
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Bill, I figured you had intent with every aspect your painting; forgive my presumption. Your art has been an inspiration & I have learned much from viewing your work!

valentine girl
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
wow, bill this is really great work! beautiful use of colors not everyone sees in a pic! *********sandy

Spyderbabe
06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Its all about the ring. Lovely work.

I didnt know Cindy Crawford had a mole.

billmahler
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks Sandy and Kathleen for looking and commenting.

I didnt know Cindy Crawford had a mole.
OK. I'll check again to be sure.

MRSBB
07-02-2010, 12:43 AM
This is one of my favorite reference photos from the RIL. You did a great rendition of it. It has a very old country look. Nice one..........Lenore

greensyster
07-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Back in the days before I changed my name..... double ;) (is that therefore a blink?)

I don't like still life paintings - except for this one.

billmahler
07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Marie and Lenore for looking and commenting
my favorite reference photos from the RIL
Mine too. Some of the work there is outstanding.
When I need inspiration (most of the time) I browse there for a couple of hours and usually leave with some ideas.