PDA

View Full Version : Dune

stigbn
06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Just back from Northern Jutland where I among other things visited Råbjerg Mile which is a large migrating dune.

I've used Sennelier and Caran d'Ache oil pastels. It's 31 x 23 cm, on HP Saunders Waterford.

This is Råbjerg Mile in low, afternoon light, with large dark shadows, don't know if these shadows look real or not? And I'm not really satisfied with my sky - I wanted it more even and less streaky. I think this was a difficult painting, and it seemed like I had too few colors for these subtle sand-colors. So, after this was finished I went out and got a box of 96 caran d'ache...;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/37688-raabjerg-mile.jpg

RainySea
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Congrats on the new neocolors. . . I love those. Your sky does not look streaky to me, it looks smooth and soft. I like how you've captured the little ripples in the sand so well.

Pat Isaac
06-29-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think the sky s streaky either. Looks fine and the grass and sand texture is wonderful. Enjoy the Neos...

Pat

murphe
06-30-2010, 08:00 AM
It looks great to me, as do the shadows. I don't think it looks like you lacked colours for the sand either.
Did you use a solvent or oil for your sky? It doesn't look streaky online. At least not as streaky as many of my attempts, especially my attempts with cheaper oil pastels. Once I got some neopastels and applied them indirectly using a tissue etc, my skies improved but I still struggle with clouds. :)

Shirl Parker
06-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Du har en stor opgave her Stig. :clap:

gonehiking
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
This is lovely! I really like your sky and the sand looks so fine. What colors of the ops did you use to create the sand to look so light in color?

stigbn
06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks all!

About the sky - I guess it's ok, I accept it now as it is, but I think I could have made an even more soft gradation in the sky, but I started out wrong with a few dark streaks that i struggled to hide. Now I know I should start light.

RainySea: It was 96 neopastels i got, not neocolors! For this picture I had 48 neopastels and 48 Senneliers.

Pat Isaac: Thanks ! BTW - your WIP's was one of the reason I took up oilpastels!

murphe: No I didn't use a solvent - just fingers for the sky and most of the sand, and rubber "clay shaper" for the details. I think it's good to have the Senneliers for the first layers in the sky, their softness makes it easier to blend, and once you have the senneliers down, you can put neopastels over and then they blend easier.

Shirl Parker: Det ser ud som om at du taler Dansk? :)

gonehiking: I don't remember exactly which colors, but first - a lot of white - I think I started with putting down a layer of sennelier white - then neopastel: pale yellow and ochre and sennelier 233, 13.

gonehiking
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you Stig! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I've been struggling with sand color as well.

Shirl Parker
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Shirl Parker: Det ser ud som om at du taler Dansk? :)

Speaking, no, but a fair translator app for my new iPad. I used to have an online bridge friend in Copenhagen. If I had unlimited time and resources, I would learn more languages, but so far I only manage French and Spanish. It's much harder when you don't have nearby language speaking friends.

I really like your Dune painting. It gives a very good impression of something that changes.