PDA

View Full Version : Paper???

wildlifeart89
06-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone:wave:
I'm going out today to buy some new pastel paper. I just wanted to know what paper you all use. I mostly painting wildlife, so if theres any papers that work great for fur? I've done a couple pastel paintings so I'm still a beginner. Thanks!
Paige:)

chuas2
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Paige, you may consider getting a paper sampler either from Dakota or Fine Arts store, since there are SO many, and everyone finds something different works for their particular style.

I've only done fur a couple times, but liked Clairefontaine Pastelmat. It's smooth in feeling if you're using pencils or sharpened sticks to do detailed fur. Probably better than sanded surfaces would be my guess.

Phil Bates
06-27-2010, 01:56 PM
If you are doing tiny detailed work, I could see how lower grit sanded papers might not be the best, however, I wouldn't rule out 600 or 800 grit UART.

Phil

Colorix
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Clairefontaine Pastelmat Card, definitely. It takes details really well, holds a surprising amount of pastel. Did I say 'holds'? Wrong, it *grabs* it. Several wildlife artists (pastel) really love that paper, as they can paint fur hair by hair, and Pastelmat gives crisper lines than what velour does, and allows for *many* more layers than ordinary papers.

Charlie

CarolaH
07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
i like the way PastelMat grabs the pastel but i am having trouble blending on it. i can't seem to get a smooth transition from one color to another or with layering. i have tried varies pastels, pan, ludwig, GA's and more. any suggestions from anyone using PastelMat?

thie one think i don't like is the pad. it says 9.5 x 12 but it really is 11.5 not 12. i love the colors tho.

K Taylor-Green
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Charlie, that was what I was wanting to hear. I just received an order of paper from Dakota's. I had heard a lot of good about the pastelmat, so I added a piece to my order of velour. It felt smooth to me and I was worried I had made a mistake! So I checked in here to get more feedback on it. Sounds as though quite a few people are liking it. I will go ahead and give it a try!

gdlantz
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I do wildlife/animal paintings and tried different papers and I always go back to the velour paper, I just love it. After reading this thread and what everyone is saying about the pastelmat, I think I will go ahead and give it a try too.

Ginger Lantz
http://www.artdabblers.com/Ginger_Art2.html

wildlifeart89
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I bought some colorfix paper and velour from Blick. I cant wait to try out the velour, I love the velvet texture! I'll have to look for pastelmat. :D
Paige

Deborah Secor
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
IMHO there is a significant difference between velour and Pastelmat. You might not be able to feel it at first touch, but when you use the P-mat you'll find it takes many more layers, can be used with wet media, and has an entirely different 'hand' to it. Don't settle for any other soft paper until you've given P-mat a try!

wildlifeart89
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks Deborah, I'll have my eyes peeled for Pastelmat!

KariTirrell
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I like suede matboard best for fur. It takes a ton of pastel, and you can easily work out your drawing on it.

I don't particularly like Pastelmat for fur, but then I've only done one dog on it. Maybe if I tried it again now that I'm more familiar with Pastelmat I'd like it better, I don't know.

A couple of tips for the velour paper - it works best with hard to medium pastels. Really soft pastels will fall right off of it. Work out your drawing on another paper, then transfer it over to the velour. You don't want to waste tooth working out your drawing on this paper.

Happy painting.

Colorix
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Nothing falls off Pastelmat, one has to wash it away, or use an eraser. It *grabs*!

GhettoDaveyHavok
08-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I like using printer paper. No, just kidding.

I don't know much about pastel surfaces (I don't know anything in general). I have been satisfied with Canson Mi-Teintes paper (Both the rough and the smooth side of the papers). I also like the Strathmore charcoal paper surfaces.

RainySea
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I think it depends somewhat on your style and what look you are trying to achieve. In my tests, velour or suede is great if you are wanting a softer or looser feel, but it seems the pastelmat and other sanded papers can get more crisp details. Just my experiences, which is small so far. I've mostly been experimenting with the papers the last few months.

Interesting thread.

Anne-Marie
08-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I got the Dakota sampler of paper and was very, very surprised at the vast differences between the papers that are in it.

I like Wallis for pretty much everything, I've decided, but it's also true that the velour paper impressed me greatly--specifically for animal subject. I would get a sampler and give the velour as well as others a try . . .