GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Soft Light
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Tried to create a three dimensional picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on the overall painting

crazywoman53
06-27-2010, 02:21 PM
This is very soft looking for sure. I think it might look more dimensionable (?) is that a word?... if you showed part of the bases of the lights. Then you could bring one forward and one further back. Right now they all appear to be on the same plane attached to the cloth. I'm also wondering if some cast light onto the cloth would help. A very peaceful idea!

Corby
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Arleneart, welcome to the WetCanvas! Thanks for sharing your work with us. Crazywomans suggestions are right on. Overlapping images is a beginning in the matter of showing dimension and depth in your work. Add to that the important matter of showing the dimensions of your objects as well. here for example your work looks flat. Like a sculpture, a bas relief done on a wall. By overlapping your objects instead of placing them side by side we are forced to recognize depth, because we see that one object is behind another. Then if you observe the shapes of the objects carefully...for example note that the shapes of the lamp shades are not straight across on the tops and bottoms but they curve. This is what gives us the sense of three dimension in them...here is a quick workup...ignore the color...but note how I have changed the shapes of the lamps and notice how the arrangement now helps us look back into the picture instead of its being a flat image. Hope it helps! Show us more!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/70790-lamps.JPG

arleneart1
06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Thank you for your input. I was greatly appreciated.