PDA

View Full Version : Bieszczady mountains

peterpesta
06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-25-2010/226246_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-25-2010/226246_il_fullxfull.153423154.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bieszczady mountains
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 17,7x13,8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's my third painting. My excuse to play with color. This painting is much bigger than my last one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
C&C are warm welcome.

Margaretta
06-25-2010, 03:08 PM
This is exciting in its variation of marks and patterns. I think the back hills should be lighter even if their foliage is dark, as their strong colour is jumping forward.
Very Cezanne and I like the colours.
Thinking about your signature; it is very distracting. Personally I prefer those that blend with a picture although I know that artists who sell would like their name to be remembered.:) :cat:

Corby
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
I like this very much, you have a recognizable style...something that a good many artists seek for for years! My only crit is : Notice how the background rushes strongly toward us and proclaims itself visually? It walks right over the top of the foreground and we hardly notice the foreground at all. In the normal arrangement of things, the opposite takes place. We notice the foreground and the background hangs in the back, playing a lesser role.

This is happening because the background has heavy lines that determine the shapes. The foreground has none. Usually line and detail and hard edges and heavy contrasts are a foreground thing.... I am fairly certain that this is not what you were aiming for but it gives a visual indication of the need to harmonize the foreground with the background...notice the visual sense of unity and depth that the painting now has:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2010/70790-lines.jpg

tgsloth
06-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Corby and Margaretta are right on target but I want to also congratulate you on a wonderful painting in light of your beginning status. You are already showing an eye for composition and color and this will carry you to excellence if you keep working. Here's one other thought. When painting nature, break up forms that look ordered rather than random. Nature is random. The top of the sky constitutes a big rectangular mass. You need to break up and randomize this. At the bottom of the sky mass is a long horizontal gray line of clouds. I have a teacher who calls such lines "worms". Worms are not allowed in paintings of nature.

I sure hope you keep painting and allowing us to see your work.

peterpesta
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Margaretta Thank you very much for comment and suggestions, I know, signature is maybe a little too strong, but it’s not so distracting on the wall.

Corby You are totally right about those lines, the background has heavy lines – too heavy. Visual indication is really great, shows me how to improve depth of my paintings. Thank you so much Croby.

Tgsloth I am still learning and this is a good place to learn. You are right about this “worm”- interesting term by the way :) I'll keep painting, I just love to paint! Thank you very much for c&s!