PDA

View Full Version : A Work in Progress

eyecandy2
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-25-2010/114934_DancerInBlueSm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Work in Progress
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is still wet and still on my easel and not yet finished. It is a Pas de Deux and made from a photo that I took at the ballet. I have altered the colors to give it more eye appeal.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to hear any comments on this work before I finish it. It still needs some modeling and work on the face. Would appreciate all comments

Corby
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
OOOHH...this is beautiful! The handling of the fabric is wonderful. Is she perhaps a bit thick waisted? I am also wondering about the mans hand, the fingertips, at her waistline. They are so far spaced that they give the impression of a spatulate hand even though we dont see it. Also the mans head seems off center...too far to the right.. None of this discounts my "OOOHH! it is beautiful. The color is lyrical...

eyecandy2
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I have finished this painting and here are the results. I must admit that many of the improvements don't show up well on this reduced size photo such as shadowing and improvements in skin color and a repainting of the uy in the background who is holding up this beautiful lady. Love to hear any and all comments, good or bad.:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2010/114934-Pas_de_Deux2Sm.jpg

eyecandy2
06-26-2010, 04:19 PM
I have finished this painting and here are the results. I must admit that many of the improvements don't show up well on this reduced size photo such as shadowing and improvements in skin color and a repainting of the uy in the background who is holding up this beautiful lady. Love to hear any and all comments, good or bad.:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2010/114934-Pas_de_Deux2Sm.jpg

eyecandy2
06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
for some reason I got a duplicate of the second comment and picture and can't delete one of them. And, she isn't thick waisted at all. It is a 3/4 view of her body and not a profile. And I fixe the guy behind her. His head was too small for his body, but now it is in proportion.

jbart
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Beautiful work Phil. It flows so well. The shears of the costume are fantastic.

billmahler
06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Phil
The lines are the lines of a dancer.. nicely done.
The feeling here is poster-like and that's OK. Toulouse Lautrec did well with that feeling, didn't he?
To move it from the poster-like feeling, you'd need to emphasize light direction more I think. I can't see any clear direction here. The ballerina doesn't seem to be casting any shadow at all.
That's an observation, not a critique. I like it as it is,

tgsloth
06-27-2010, 09:11 AM
It's an inspiration to see how you've improved, Phil, with these two wonderful ballet paintings. And it seems you're taking some great reference photos too. On the "thickwasted" issue, I saw it too, immediately. So I suggest this might be one of those time when the figures are painted correctly from the reference but it doesn't look right. In that instance, the painting must depart from the reference so that it looks as good and true as possible. I also suggest the man needs a bit more work on his face. His mouth reads badly to me.

eyecandy2
06-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Bill and thanks for the comments. I just wanted to note that this was on stage and the lights were coming from multible source and some meant to wipe out many of the shadows. And, I'm not sure of which lighting was the dominant source. I'd like to gain enterence to a ballet school to do some of the stuff that Degas did, but it isn't easy to do that. I'd love to paint the students and their teachers working out. I'm working on it and I hope that showing some of my paintings will help me get that priviledge.

eyecandy2
07-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I Have Searched For Ways To Courteract That Thick Waisted Appearace, But I Cant Find A Decent Solution. With That Right Leg Up It Rotates The Hip And Body To Create That Feeling. The Body Goes Into A 3/4 View That Creates That Look. If There Is A Solution, I Would Like To Hear From Somebody. Help If You Can.

SusieGS
07-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't paint people much, so maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, :eek: but I thought I'd try. I shadowed her tummy a little bit, and changed the profile of her body on our right side.

eyecandy2
07-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I wish you had succeeded but I'm afraid not. The look is the same but thanks for trying. I'm looking forward to a good solution to the problem.

valentine girl
07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
beautiful!!! the painting flows great coloruse.*******sandy