GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Go Fish
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 5
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is mainly acrylic, but there are some bits of metallic leaf on it, as well as some acrylic ink.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No specific questions, just generally how it could have been better. C & C welcome.<br><br>I have a media question too - anyone used metallic leaf before on paint-covered canvas? I had trouble with the leaf sticking to the canvas uniformly. It would only stick in ragged clumps. I used a glue pen specifically made for adhering metallic leaf, I only let it go tacky a few seconds before attaching, perhaps I should have waited a little longer? It also seemed to almost want to stick to the canvas without glue, so there were bits still sticking to the canvas that I hadn't put glue on, which was annoying. So any tips on leafing would be appreciated. TIA.

Corby
06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I like the fish with their flash of scintillating color. ( Guppies?) Perhaps something of greater interest would be gained with a graded background from left to right with the light fish painted on the dark portion and the dark fish painted on the light portion.

TScottDove
06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
This is quite interesting.
Would love to see this very large. Fish still tiny, but a large school of them.

guineverec
06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps something of greater interest would be gained with a graded background from left to right with the light fish painted on the dark portion and the dark fish painted on the light portion.

I see what you mean, kind of an Escher thing, like this? http://www.eszlinger.com/escher/escherbirdf.html

Yes, bigger would be interesting - real labour of love, I think! Maybe someday, and maybe not on canvas, but a smoother surface like board, hmm...

Corby
06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I never thought of it as being somewhat like an Escher, but I see what you mean. It is basically what he has done, but it is an element that goes largely unnoticed as we are entranced by his manipulation of the edges of the image. My reasoning is more for emphasizing the image by displaying the lighter value fish against the darker background and the darker value fish against the lighter background. It makes the images 'pop' out at you and it can be applied in any style successfully