PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Waterfall

Owlcrazycat
09-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Especially for my big brother (ChrisJC), here is my first watercolour post!

It's a waterfall sketched partway up Cader Idris on a David Bellamy holiday/course in Wales earlier this year. (I do mean David Bellamy the artist, not the naturalist!!)

I would recommend David's courses to anyone - he is a super guy, both encouraging and welcoming, especially to a beginner like me. I'm hoping to join him in the Lake District for another course next spring.

Julie

Mary Smith
09-27-2002, 06:01 PM
This is a very nice start. You need more contrast, don't be afraid
of the dark. :)
Mary

Southern Style
09-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Nice work.. like Mary's suggestion about the darks. Keep painting!

ArcticRose
09-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Julie...I love your composition and the jutting rocks look great! Looking forward to seeing more!
Welcome!!!

Little Old Lady
09-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Welcome. Great composition and waterfall. I agree that a little contrast would help.
JoAnn

tigre255
09-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Nice for a first. I'm on the fencepost about adding darks, yes it would make it interesting. But I also like it as is. It's got a soft feel to it. Sorry not much help. :crying:

Waiting to see more......:clap: :clap:

Becky-Bob
09-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Oh my goodness...wow, that looks like a scary place! You captured it well though. I like it. :)

painterbear
09-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Hi Owlcrazycat,

Welcome to WC and the watercolor forum. I like your first post of the waterfall a lot.

It's a high key painting so I like the soft, misty colors you've used. The feeling of fog at the top that envelops the tree in the back is good.

I hope you won't mind a suggestion. The rocks that jut out of the water in the middle of the waterfall don't seem to be integrated into the water. Maybe you could add a few strokes of the pale blue color you used in the water curving around them so they become part of the water itself as it would be in real life.
Piano as they say in Italian, softly, in keeping with the rest of the painting.

Lise
09-28-2002, 03:44 PM
Lovely, delicately rendered painting. Looks like a magical place. I like the way you captured the mist at the top.

Mike Scott
09-28-2002, 04:35 PM
This is very refreshing--has a sort of oriental touch. Good work!

Alan Cross
09-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Hi Welcome to WC and good job on a difficult subject....and like the rest I am wanting more darks...
Alan :)

mariela
09-28-2002, 06:56 PM
:) Hi and welcome to WC! i like your painting - i agree tho about contrast and a bit of blue in the water - i like the misty atmosphere..... keep painting -look forward to see more....

pampe
09-28-2002, 10:43 PM
WELCOME

lovely start...agree about value contrasts.....look forward to more!

Pam

ChrisJC
09-29-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi Little Sis'

Nice job. I agree with all the other folks here about the contrast.
Is your scan perhaps a bit pale?

Keep 'em coming!

Chris.

billyg
09-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi Julie,
How lucky you are to have been on a David Bellamy course.I have one of his videos and a book of his,I dont think my wheelchair would go well running up and down mountains with him though LOL.I have however been up and down Cader Idris a few times when I was mobile and thats an exillerating pastime anyway.Happy Painting, and welcome to wetcanvas.
Billyg.:D

Owlcrazycat
09-29-2002, 09:45 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind comments and the encouragement. As my brother suggests, the scan does look a little lighter than the finished work but I do agree that a few more darks would have helped - and this mirrors what David Bellamy said at the time. Unfortunately it's too late to change it - it's already framed and hanging on my parents' wall, as I gave it to my Dad as a belated birthday present a few weeks ago!

Billyg - please don't let the wheelchair put you off going on a Bellamy course, or at least making enquiries. David usually runs at least one a year for what he terms a Boot Rating 1, which is virtually no walking, designed particularly for those who are less mobile. Details of his 2003 courses can be found at www.davidbellamy.co.uk

And yes, David in real life is exactly how he appears on his videos! They don't call him the Mad Welsh Watercolourist for nothing!!

Julie

madmum
09-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Welcome Julie :)

I never commented before since I am obsessing slightly over my WIP :crying: I really like the soft touch on your Cader Idris waterfall. Sure that landscape was a huge change from your usual surroundings. This will sound odd, I have never seen a David Bellamy video! Sounds like I should look up his courses tho!

Ruth