PDA

View Full Version : Amory - portrait commission

Dominique W
06-24-2010, 05:28 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-24-2010/226733_Amory_-_small.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Amory - portrait commission
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Board
Dimension: 400mm x 300mm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a commission I was requested to do, where they wanted to see some of the horse, as well as focus on their daughter

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please feel free to critique wherever necessary

lunchbox
06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Lovely work, Dominique! I hope people go back and look at your beautiful other submissions. The only nits - and they are tiny, are to check the placement of the left (our left) eye - it reads a little 'flat' on the face to me, but I don't have her picture to compare, and I would soften the dark lines on the mouth. In all, I'm sure the parents will be well pleased!

Dominique W
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you so much for your valuable input, this is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I think we as artists get so close to our work, that towards the end of a piece we lose objectivity.
Thanks again
Dom :clap:

Corby
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
beautiful work. She does have a very adult like 'formal' expression of self awareness. As lunchbox suggested: perhaps a bit of softening.

valentine girl
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
amazing work dominique! so much attention to detail. i can only imagine the number of hours put in on this. just beautiful!

Kazador
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Thats a nice painting!

What I can see, is that the shadow in her eyes makes it look like she's looking upwards

Dana Design
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Her eyes do indeed look quite strange. I'd position them to looking straight ahead rather than that far up. She seems to be swooning. Perhaps there is too much light on the bottom of the irises.

Her hair appears quite high as well given the structure of her face and perhaps that is why she seems older looking than she is.

Dominique W
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
It's really great to get such useful feedback from all of you. Your comment on the eyes and hair are great, as these were areas of concern for me. I think the biggest challenge of this portrait was the restraint in size. The complete size is 400mm x 300mm, causing quite alot of frustration when working with such small parameters on the face. But thats the size the client requested!

thanks again everyone:o

eyecandy2
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Most of what I've seen has been said. I would just have liked her not to look so angry. I think that it would have been great if you could have turned up the corner of her mouth on her right side, just a little. Maybe it is fear and not anger, but either way she would have been prettier to look at and she is a pretty child