PDA

View Full Version : Still life

mariecigale
06-24-2010, 01:36 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-23-2010/219173_Still_life_on_wallpaper_1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still life
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 7 1/2 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Acrylic painted on vinyl textured wallpaper. Experimental on this surface.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
everything please.

lunchbox
06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi marie, and welcome to wetcanvas :wave:
Love the bright colors. Perhaps consider a broader table for the vase and fruit? Additionally, it is a little hard to determine exactly where the light source is coming from. On some fruit the source is coming from the front – on others the highlights are placed to the right or left. The highlights, themselves, are well done and you do get a sense of roundness to the fruit and liveliness to the painting. I look forward to more.

Corby
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Marie! Thanks for sharing your work with us. It is a very pleasing painting, especially if your aim is decorative art which opens the field of design toward the point of abstraction, whatever is imaginative and appeals to the eye.

If your goal is realism there are some issues here that need addressed in order to reach that illusion.

mariecigale
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Thank you both, you have been very helpful. My aim was towards impressionism rather than realism, but you are absolutely right about the source of light. I often have trouble with that. I'll keep on trying!!

Corby
06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Marie, in that you mentioned an on going difficulty with light source I thought you might benefit from a very basic approach in keeping with the decorative source of this work. I picked a yellow out of the painting to use for the light. You will note the dot of yellow I left at the end of the white arrow. The arrow indicates the direction of the light, where its coming from. Each bit of fruit then received a dot of that yellow where it faces the light. The yellow was then blended in on each fruit so as to 'enlighten' that portion of the fruit. For the shadow side I chose a dark purple from your painting and did the same dot thing. everywhere each fruit was turned away from the light. I used the same procedure on the compote itself, noting not only the shadow potions of the compote itself but also looking at where the fruit would cast a shadow on the compote. Notice how this gives the painting a greater sense of unity by creating an even flow of light across all of the objects, there is more definition of form and thus greater visual impact. Just from that very simple two step procedure!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/70790-wallpaper.jpg

mariecigale
06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks!

Margaretta
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Marie, I love the 'jewel' colours of this. I think it would also easily lend itself to an abstract painting using the shape of the central facet of the vase. I would be very tempted too to use some darker, more specific bars and curves of shading between each fruit where they are touching to create more depth.
I think the vase needs the outer edges softening to create more curvature and less sharpness against the background.

It is gorgeous and glows more than the OTT, but rather flat, fruit and flower displays of the Dutch Masters. Tempting....MMMMMMMmmm!!!:)

mariecigale
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Thank you! The Crits are very helpful, and I will certainly use all (or most anyway!) of the suggestions in the future. I'm experimenting at present, and moving away from my usual style of painting, so the results are rather uneven!