PDA

View Full Version : is easier make light hues or dark hues form base colour ?

JPQ
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
is easier make light hues or dark hues form base color ? i mean when we mix colours in work not when we make pastels.

Phil Bates
06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I think what you mean is: Is it easier to start dark and work towards light or vise versa?

I like to work from dark to light. I think of dark things lying underneath light things, therefore darker layers underneath is more intuitive to me. For example with foliage, I save the brightest leaves for last, kind of like putting icing on the cake. Since this "feels" best to me, I believe it produces a better painting.

However, I am talking about working opaque, not blending. If you are asking about blending colors as you go, what I don't like is light colors blended over dark, because they seem to get lost, and just make the darker colors look dull or chalky.

As far as the technical differences of layering dark over light, with an opaque method (not blending) I don't see one working better than the other. I think it's dependent on a lot of factors including the tooth of the paper, how thick is the under-layer, the softness of the stick, etc.

Phil

JPQ
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
i talk blending and you understand me correctly. and sometimes chalky hue is usefull we need all kind colours i know. and trying buy slowly all pastels what i need.