PDA

View Full Version : Northern Gannets Embrace

Hender
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-22-2010/214199_fishing_and_stuff_012a.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Northe<br> Gannets Embrace
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x20 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a limited palette, using only raw sienna, bu<br>t umber, paynes grey and Titanium white.<br><br>It is based on a picture I took in Newfoundland at the Cape St Mary, Bird Sanctuary. These are a breeding pair of Gannets perched on a cliff. <br><br>This is my first posting in the critique forum. I'm looking to improve my work.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does the composition work? Are the rocks effective in their rendering or distracting? Areas that need work?

TScottDove
06-23-2010, 01:14 AM
The birds appear very well rendered.
The rocks to their left are too bright and fight for attention, IMO. I think I'd might let that fade to black completely; certainly no brighter than the rock that's visible between their necks.

Corby
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Hender, I really like this. I saw a special once on Gannets, have never seen the live thing, but I can appreciate how special they are! I agree with TScottDove about the bright highlights on the rocks at left. But what really detracts from the beauty of the piece is that the beaks and tail will 'kiss' the framing...I feel that even if one does not intend to frame, someone along the line who would treasure the painting would accordingly prefer framing so it should always be allowed for.

Hender
06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Thank you so much for the advice, I have darkened the rocks in the background to just barely visible, I thought about getting rid of them all together, but felt that simply darkening them gave me the depth I wanted without sending them into the void. In my reference photo the background rocks were lighter, so it was a bit of a mental challenge to step away from that.

Corby, thanks for point about the framing. Because I don't generally frame my paintings on canvas it was never something that occured to me. But it should be something I keep in mind if I ever intend on moving this hobby into something I share with the world. If I frame this, it will have to be with a floating frame.

Again, thank you both very much for your advice.

Dana Design
06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I love the way you've rendered the feathers. A beautiful painting.