GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Country Field With White and Red Flowers
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My second attempt at painting. It's really small painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

StephenP
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
As a fellow newbie, I like this painting. Nice job for a second attempt! I'll make a few comments: My eye was immediately drawn the to the cloud in the upper left section of the painting, and it felt like it didn't belong there. I was also confused by the use of yellow there. If it's the sun, I'd like to see more light leaking from behind those clouds and hitting the beautiful field.

crazywoman53
06-22-2010, 05:08 PM
A very nice impressionistic view and congrats on your second painting! There are some very basic guidelines when it comes to painting landscapes regardless of whether your style is realistic or impressionistic or something inbetween. The sky is always the lightest value as that is where your light source is, the land is the second lightest and the upright.. trees would be your darkest. Also the values are darker the closer to and lighter as you go back. Many colors can read as white so in the case of your flowers if you were to add very, very, very light hues of yellow or blues or pinks it would read as white but add interest to your flowers. I would also try moving your little yellow house more to the left so it leads the eye into the painting rather than out. Perhaps Corby will come along and do his graph of the golden lines for you demonstrating why. Overall a nice second painting. It will be exciting to watch your style develop.

peterpesta
06-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Truly appreciate them.

StephenP I know the one cloud is a bit weird but obviously too late to change now. I'm also confused now by the use of yellow there. Thanks for looking and for all the suggestions.

crazywoman53 Thank you for your timely reply and for the great suggestions, I agree with all of them and will post the results in my next painting.

Corby
06-23-2010, 01:31 PM
peterpesta! You are going to make fine progress as an artist! I already like what you are doing! Some pointers that may move you along. As crazywoman suggests, I wield the "Golden Mean" with great severity!:lol: Notice the grid of white lines that divide the canvas up into thirds horizontally and vertically. Where the lines cross are 'hot spots' I like to call them. Anything placed on these cross spots just screams for attention. So it is the optimum place to put ones focal point. Not being able to place the houses on the cross marks here because of the rest of the composition I placed them on that right hand vertical line. It accomplishes the same thing within your arrangement. If you let the lines guide you for placing your horizon line and the verticle edges of objects, you can never go wrong compositionally. Look at great paintings and professional photos and note how most of them adhere in some degree to the " Golden Mean". Course paintings not all about composition. Crazy woman spoke of the relationships of value between the sky, the ground and objects that protrude upright from the ground. It is very important to pay attention to that simple 'cluster' of rules if you would do work that really sparkles with realistic conviction. One little thing I might add to the effects of atmospheric perspective or visual regression in a painting is that as a dark color moves toward the background it will get lighter and lighter in value. As a light color moves to the background it will get darker and darker in value until they 'gray out' together, each the same as the other.

About your color here. You have used the same green throughout. You have used the same red throughout and you have used the same gray shade of white throughout. It gives a richer visual effect (especially with an impressionistic approach to the subject as is yours) if you use adjacent colors on the color wheel. Find the red or the orange you want for example and then use the color on each side of it as well to define your red object or objects as I have done in the red flowers here. The greens especially must be given attention to in the same manner, the white as well, by using the tint color for it in the same manner.

Lastly I might mention that as you come forward in your work you will need a stronger sense of the natural arrangement of things. The white flowers here are for example pretty much just spotted around randomly. Try to discern their pattern of growth and paint them so. Or if that isn't readily apparent then impose your own order on them. There may seem to be a lot here that I have said, but just read it till you get it down and practice it with sketches... hope it will be useful for you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2010/70790-field.jpg

ahughes798
06-23-2010, 09:46 PM
You have a lot of great crits here. Corby will never steer you wrong. However...I disagree that the sky should alway be the lightest value in a painting. Depends on the weather...I've seen the sky be the darkest value many, many times.

For instance, in the last few days here in the midwest, we've had tremendous thunderstorms with blue/black skies. The trees, the houses across the street....were definitely lighter in value than the clouds.

peterpesta
06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Corby first of all thank you very much for this great, constructive critic. Honestly I didn't knew about "Golden Mean" – now I know about it something more. I’ll try to use all those suggestions in my next painting (which is almost done). I know about problem with white flowers in this painting, next time I will try to discern their pattern of growth and paint them like that. Thank you again for your great suggestions.

ahughes798 I agree about the sky, it might be a debatable thing.

Thank you all again!