PDA

View Full Version : Village Evening

Anonymous
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-22-2010/190623_Village_Evening.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Village Evening
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I posted this in Landscapes with no feedback whatever, so I am thinking it was not found worthy of comments at all. I tried to convey a low evening sun, warmth, stillness of the evening, and bright light on the houses.<br>Please be tough and point out everywhere I went wrong or that improvements can be made. The village does have plenty of power poles, but I chose to leave them out.<br>Thank you for your help.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I tried putting "reflective light" in the windows but anything I tried looked wrong....

La_
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
well, for starters, a larger image would be very helpful = )

from this size i can tell you that i like how the composition leads me in by way of the road ... i like the yellows and purples, good compliments ... values and edges might need some adjustment in that some of the farther away trees and houses are brighter and crisper than some of the foreground trees/houses

yeah, larger pic please = )

la

Gerrycanada
06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks LA, appreciate it. I will work on getting in a larger image.
Regarding light and dark houses....was I right in thinking that the foreground should be darker? Maybe I should make the foreground even more dark? The center of interest (the two brightest houses just to the right of center) need to be very bright?

TScottDove
06-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I really like this a lot. Beautiful color palette and strong composition. Maybe a little too densely green in the lower left corner? Maybe not, though, too. I look forward to seeing more.

Sandybells
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I love the little village and the colors you have used.
Howeever, I am not sure if this village is in hilly country or whether the viewer is above it looking down and in either case the houses all look like they are at eye level but that just can't be in my opinion. So, I say decide to either show some of them with a bit more of the roof showing from different angles or not all on the same plane. I hope I am giving you good information. If not I apologize. Anyone else "get" my comments and agree or not?

I hate to critique but not too many are doing so for you! :confused:
Sandybells

TScottDove
06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I know what you're talking about Sandybells, but I think it adds to the charm of the piece.

Sandybells
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
tscott. I definately do like the charm of the piece..My art is usually based on a huge dose of reality and so that is where I am coming from. Not necessarily what others judge from though. I only commented from own art perspective which is not the only way to critique someone elses art. It is indeed a charming piece. Do it the way you want it to look...it is neither wrong or right but it is art no doubt. Good for you for trying whatever you like! It isn't up to me how you do your art and that is a fact, just enjoy the process!
Sandybells

totsy
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
A, I think you if you posted a bigger picture you may receive more comments.

Like the palette a lot and I think it's a charming painting.

Gerrycanada
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Golly, I am so relieved that some find this appealing!
TSCott Dove, thank you so much.
Sandybells, yes, the houses are on a hill. One major problem I have is that virtually all the houses in this village were built from virtually the same plan in the same year, resulting in a boring bunch of houses....I am having a lot of trouble making them more interesting! I appreciate your comments so much. There is a "reality" painter near me, and I think she was having a bit of trouble too with the slightly fantasy aspect.
Later I will try to put in a larger photo, I didn't realize it would turn out too small.

Continental
06-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Your style is charming, it reminds me of the artist Grant Wood. Your colors are fun and radiant. I really like your style, it is fun and it looks like you are having fun doing your art.:thumbsup:

tony1
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Sandybells I "get" what you're saying and agree. And I think it's a valid point. But I do like the charm to the piece as is.

Just a point about the darker in the foreground - as I understand it the values should be higher in the foreground, not necessarily "darker", maybe that's what you mean. Also, the center of interest doesn't need to be brighter, but should have a higher contrast than the rest of the painting - i. e. the lights against darks will attract and hold the eye. You can darken the darks around the 2 houses that are the COI - darker trees, darker shadows, etc. and I would make the roof lighter than the house upper left cause that's fighting forward.

Now, all that being said I kinda like it as is. I only bring up the value stuff because you did.

Nice one.

billmahler
06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I am thinking it was not found worthy of comments at all

Well, we have to pay attention to the reaction we get, but sometimes reactions can be wrong and we get a misleading indicator from them.

That's certainly true in this case. This is a charmingly original way to look at a familiar subject. Lovely colors and values here.
Don't get too hung up on the technical things. Paint what you see the way you see it.

Gerrycanada
06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Your gracious comments are blowing me away! Tony, Totsy, Continental, thanks to you all too. I am taking close notice of what you say.
Here is a bigger photo, I hope. (But don't change your minds!! :lol:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2010/190623-Village_Evening.JPG

Corby
06-22-2010, 06:08 PM
my post is obviously not about color, it is about pushing the values and consolidating them. It will bring a greater sense of unity and would emphasize your theme of evening because it would unify the flow of light...hope it is of some use to you! Keep up the good work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2010/70790-VillageEvening.JPG

Gerrycanada
06-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Corby, I had replied to you, but don't see my message. Hope you don't get two now.
A picture is worth 1000 words.....I see exactly what you are saying and will do some more work arranging the darks......thanks very much.