PDA

View Full Version : Big kitty. WIP.

aolaranora
06-21-2010, 11:40 PM
My latest project, what started as an "animal".

I figured out that mostly have floral painting and some landscapes for my upcoming show. It is great of course, but I want to see some variety... Therefore I'm taking "animal" project and it is happened to be a wild cat from WC image library. Way out of my comfort zone size wise, but it is making it even more interesting.

20x16" Ampersand board, Sennelier and Holbein.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2010/177144-IMG_1199.jpg

hollyga
06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Tatiana - This may be out of your comfort zone, but the same principals apply and what a fantastic start on this one. Pulling up a chair for your progress on this one!

Holly :wave:

Pat Isaac
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Great start Tatiana, and you'd never know it was out of your comfort zone.

Pat

Rob Hendriks
06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Looks good,curious about the progress!

VladK
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Great and promising start, Tatiana:thumbsup:

RainySea
06-22-2010, 03:28 PM
what a beautiful start!

Alan P. in OC
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
This is looking killer, Tatiana. So glad (despite their beauty) I get to see something besides flowers from you, and the kitty was a great choice. The eye and fur look great so far. I just got the same board (at the same size) and am excited to see what both of us can do with it:).

GhettoDaveyHavok
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Ayo, nice start. Can't wait to see more. :)

ColorMyWorld
06-23-2010, 07:56 PM
The fur is amazing and looks like it takes a lot of patience.

aolaranora
06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Thank You, to all of you!...

Alan... the fact that I did a lot of flowers lately, is nothing more like a 'something about the moment". I guess I simply admired some other wonderful works of floral art what I found here on WC and was impressed with the fact, how well OP showing the light and glow of alive florals.... Just too pretty, hard to resist and not too try. Animals always were one of my very favorite subjects, so I'm going back to it with this painting. But it is nothing for me, I just didn't do it for a while.

Reason for this "animal" subject - I want to have some variety of paintings for upcoming show. I'm planning to have several works in several different mediums from Still Life to possibly portraits... depends what I will be able too finish till dead line. Several miniatures too. Big part of my works will be done in Oil Pastel (most of it is finished already), but also there are some sot pastels, oils etc.
I better go and work on it some more, instead of this blah-blah!... :-0

skappy
06-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Great start Tatiana I ll come back
Robert

jamezzz
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow! Definitely sticking around to watch this one progress. Your flowers are amazing, but I can't wait to see your talent poured out on this cat! Great start!

aolaranora
06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Did some more work on it. Maybe this night will do even more.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/177144-IMG_1211.jpg

aolaranora
06-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Trying out new frame. Just to get some idea how he will look like. :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/177144-IMG_1213.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Looking good, Tatiana....the colors are just great.

Pat

gonehiking
06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
This kitty is already looking gorgeous. Can't wait to see your finished result.

aolaranora
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank You, Pat! Thank You, Gina!

Finished result will be here.. sometime. :-)

Colorfur Critters
06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I too am pulling up a chair. This looks great!

Lexycat
06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
This looks beautiful so far, I really like it:clap: I bought some cheap oil pastels to play around with a while back and couldn't make sense of them at all, lol! Do you use turpentine/zest it with this? Also what kind of shapers or other implements do you use if any to manipulate them?

Sorry for questions, but I am curious and intrigued. Look forward to seeing more of this gorgeous kitty cat:D

aolaranora
06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
This looks beautiful so far, I really like it:clap:

Thank You!

I bought some cheap oil pastels to play around with a while back and couldn't make sense of them at all, lol!

My Mom always told me do not spend money on cheap things. :) Most of the time they will not make sense and you have to buy something what will do the work... so Practically you have to pay twice. I NEVER go cheap when it is about art supply. I would wait till I can afford to get exactly what I need to get the job done.

Do you use turpentine/zest it with this?

Not at this point. I WILL BE using turpentine at later stages.

Also what kind of shapers or other implements do you use if any to manipulate them?

I'm using factory-made British -made shapers "Color Shaper" from Royal Sovereign Ltd. Most of the time I'm working with #2 and #0 Taper Point, Firm (gray color). This is what I used so far for this painting and no others.
You can get it from Dick Blick, they do carry all sizes and shapes in soft and firm silicon.

When I work with Turpentine most of the time I use synthetic brushes as Golden Taclon, or Robert Simmons "white sable". Occasionally I can use natural sable brushes too

Sorry for questions, but I am curious and intrigued. Look forward to seeing more of this gorgeous kitty cat:D

This is not a problem. I started not too long time ago and just like you had a tons of questions. You can check out Oil pastel Society web site, or browse more threads here, on Wet Canvas. we have lots of information about tools and methods of work. Pick what you think will suit you... and enjoy!

robertsloan2
06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Trying out new frame. Just to get some idea how he will look like. :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/177144-IMG_1213.jpg

Tatiana, this is beautiful! Gorgeous so far, I know the finish will be perfect. Magnificent big cat. I love the way you're shifting away from gold toward muted reds in his body, applying a little atmospheric recession even within the planes of the cat's form. That gives him such depth. Accurate sketching has a lot to do with it too, and glorious fur textures.

Looking forward to more!

aolaranora
06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Thank You, Robert!

I didn't do much lately, some other things came up what need my time and attention. But here is my latest update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/177144-IMG_1280.jpg

gonehiking
06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Just Beautiful!

aolaranora
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Thank You, Gina!
I probably can post another update tonight. So far it is going all right, but I still have many questions on finishing of this work.

deb789
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I can't wait to see the finished piece. Very, very nice!

aolaranora
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank You, Maya!

I'm finished with basic layer and getting to the fun part... hopefully tonight. Will post some more updates soon.

aolaranora
07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Finished with first layer of OPs. Time to go to advanced blending and fine details.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1321.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Excellent Tatiana...You are doing wonderfully with that composition.

Pat

aolaranora
07-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Thank You, Pat!
It is still huge to me, but I feel it should work out after I'm done with it.

aolaranora
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Some more work... finished with first layer and now can play with brushes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1322.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1366.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Nice fur texture, Tatiana.

Pat

aolaranora
07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I finished him today. Here we are!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1404.jpg

Almost done, but not exactly... working with brushed, painting all that fur!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1408.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/177144-IMG_1410.jpg

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Tatiana, he's perfect! I love the fur texture you got at the end with that delicate brushwork, those clean white whiskers, that curious, intelligent expression and elegant accuracy. Wonderful big cat! Fantastic!

RainySea
07-11-2010, 10:34 PM
wow, that is very, very beautiful. Love the colors and detail

hollyga
07-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Tatiana - This is just fantastic - what a treat to watch!

I would be interested in hearing about your process with the brush strokes to accentuate the fur textures.

You might have felt "out of your comfort zone" on this one, but I would never know it! It is certainly a big WOW!

Pat Isaac
07-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Beautifully done, Tatiana. Excellent color and texture. I would also be interested in the brushwork...

Pat

aolaranora
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Robert, thank you!
Another 'poem" from you, what a nice treat!

Ladies, thank you, very much to all end every of you. I'm thinking to putting together video what will show some of methods I use, including of brushwork. Honestly it is not much different from what you would have done with oil... or even with tempera. I don't think I'll have to to work on it till the end of summer, but I'll let everybody know when I'll have it done. Hopefully it will answer at some questions.

Scattykat
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
this is beautiful work, how you can do this with op's in beyond me, felicitations...

ArbySD
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, this is just stunningly beautiful! The textures really make it jump out at you. Wait, I'm not sure I want a leopard to jump put at me! :lol:

aolaranora
07-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Thank You, Kat!
Thank You, Robin!

I hope to paint something of the same sort someday with NO deadlines. probably will take me 6 month or so... maybe more.
You will be surprised, but texture wasn't to hard to work on. More like time consuming.
I think it will be good looking on a wall of our gallery (so far it is on my wall, just near by my computer).

Alan P. in OC
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Awesome job again Tatiana!
I love to see your work while I'm working on my own, it is very inspiring (esp. knowing we're working on the same support/ same size). The clear fur in the face, the orange and white tones, and eye are especially impressive. My one crit is the upper-left corner dark space; maybe a blurred-jungle green type background? Whatever, it is another masterpiece. Keep it up, I need inspiration, I work much slower than you, you know:).

aolaranora
07-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Awesome job again Tatiana!

Thank You, Alan!

I love to see your work while I'm working on my own, it is very inspiring (esp. knowing we're working on the same support/ same size).

Oh, I very well remember it. And dying from curiosity too!) :angel:

The clear fur in the face, the orange and white tones, and eye are especially impressive.

Thanks again. It was slightly complicated, because of size... but I think it came out all right.

My one crit is the upper-left corner dark space; maybe a blurred-jungle green type background?

Not this time. I limed color palette for purpose. usually I'll have some greens etc. on background, but I wanted to concentrate on cat and modesty of colors is one of the ways to do it.

Whatever, it is another masterpiece. Keep it up, I need inspiration, I work much slower than you, you know:).

Thank You, Alan.

I'm not sure about "masterpiece", but ... this time I had some specific goals. One of them was unfortunately "quantity". And yes, i say "unfortunately", because normally I love to take my time with my works too. The only problem is - I'm taking too much of that very time. With y last few works I limited myself to one-two weeks per painting only, so I'll have enough works for my August exhibition. Now, however, when I'm finally sort of OK with what they call "body of works" I can lay back and... take more time with my paintings, just like you do. Just because I'm not in rush anymore and this is how I like to do it the best anyway. Most of my best paintings took me several month to finish. This one, however... only two weeks.

Alan P. in OC
07-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi again Tatiana!
I get your reasoning about the dark area and the limited color palette; I think the cat looks great and would look great with or without a background. I'm happy to hear about your august exhibition and can see your reason for limiting your time... wish I had an exhibition to fill up:). I promise you'll see some new stuff from me soon, I finished my King Tut in pen & ink finally and am 1/2 way through layer 1 on a new OP painting (a bigger one too). Once again, great job, and even better to see a new subject from you. Hope you keep expanding your horizons and skills with future works:).

aolaranora
11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you, Alan! I have many new ideas, but... one in a time! :-)

aolaranora
11-01-2013, 11:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2013/177144-IMG_1410.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I remember this kitty, beautiful painting.

Pat

aolaranora
11-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Yes, Pat, I just yesterday realized - I never posted finished picture! So I did.