PDA

View Full Version : Making Headway with WMO - my first posted example

Ken Nielsen
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm posting this, my first example since switching to to WMO since I switched to using Artisan paints exclusively. My question now is: How long do you think a 16" x 12" painting on hard board like this will take to dry so it can be handled for framing?

I know WMO has dried quicker than regular oils on the palette, so I assume there will be a shorter drying time for the finished work also. I generally add the WMO painting medium to slightly 'free up' the paints to act more like traditional oils and to help increase working time.

I will definitely say I am completely satisfied with WMO, now that I have worked through the different mediums that can be added and found those that make the paints behave exactly the way I want them to.

I've done a few paintings working up to this one, but I feel this is the first one that was done using the 'lessons' learned by the first few images - so was done quickly and without hesitation due to technical difficulties, Ala Prima in 5 hours, with a brief hour or so going over for the final details like flowers and touch up the next day. Paints, even those that had dried overnight, were easily worked over with new color the next day.

http://www.studio10webgraphics.com/InternetPosts/carols_house_finished_2801.jpg

Your comments are welcomed,

Ken

Crystal1
06-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I love the loose flow of your painting and the use of your brushstrokes. What mediums did you finally choose?

Ken Nielsen
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Everything I tried here is W&N Artisan brand and Water Mixable, except for the walnut oil.

out of:

Oil Painting Medium
Linseed Oil
Gloss Varnish
Stand Oil
Thinner
Walnut Oil
Safflower Oil
and Nekkid Paint

The best for me was Artisan Water Mixable Oil Painting Medium.

I continue to work with Stand Oil and some of the others because I have them and they are not 'horrible' - they each just have their own characteristic and affect the paint differently.

I will NOT use gloss varnish or thinner as neither of these adds anything and are not mediums anyway - I just tried them to see what would happen.