PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Chinese Girl

semilin
06-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Guys,

This is my first time to try painting a portrait with OP. Any comment is appreciated!:clap:

Best regards,
Qingyu

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2010/218977-IMG_0810_up.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Nice attempt at a first portrait, Qingyu. I especially like the way your rendered the mouth. Lovely smile. The eyes don't seem to be looking in the same direction. I do like your skin color but think the shadows could be a little bluer or purple and less gray. The hair is also very nice and I like the lock that falls into her face. Good job.

Pat

Barbara WC
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Qingyu-

Nice job for your first portrait! The smile on her is lovely.

Hope to see more of your work!

Barbara

semilin
06-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Pat, Barbara,

Thanks for your replies!

Pat, I know there are some problems of this portrait, but can't figure out what exactly it is. Thanks for your kindly comments. To the skin color issue, I feel it's quite hard to control the hue of color, and don't know how to mixed up correct shadows color of girl skin. Do you have any advice? Usually, I use Cray-pas Junior 25 color set.

Qingyu

Pat Isaac
06-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Well, I do think you have done a good job with the skin tones with the colors that you have. I'd fix the eyes and then move on. This is a good first portrait.

Pat

Alan P. in OC
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
It's a great first effort. I think the smile is great. I believe it can be improved by darkening much of the skin to give the face more contrast; the shadows and highlights seem too close in tone to me. The eyes could be darkened and modeled a little more, I think, they seem a little flat and too 'all-white' right now.
Hope this helps!

semilin
06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Alan, Pat,

Thanks for your advices! I will go on to fix eyes problem.

Qingyu

RainySea
06-23-2010, 10:18 PM
really nice first portrait!! I hope you will repost if you change the eyes. . . would like to see.

gonehiking
06-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Qingyu, terrific job on your first portrait :clap: . I don't find op easy and admire anyone who does a portrait. I won't be doing one for a long while!