GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Dragon - Original Painting
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 5 x 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The background on this piece is silver, though I am not sure how well you can tell from the photo. Ignore the watermark, please.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this look cheaply done? I like it overall, but feel I could have executed it better. Does the orange seem to give off a 'glow' to you? That was my goal.

Fozbot
06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Kati, I guess we're going to have to critique each other's work here. Maybe conceptual work is too difficult to critique. When I first saw this I thought of the D'Ampton worm, a large white worm in an old fable that lived in a well and was also referred to as a dragon in some tellings of the tale.

I think it would be helpful to know your intention when creating this piece. I'd be interested to know what you wished to convey in this painting...if anything.

My only crits...there's too much strong texture in the orange paint to create a believable 'glow'. The only other thing that bothers me is the smoke(?) coming from the dragon's mouth. There's a lot of undulating movement going on in this painting but the smoke rises straight up along the very edge of the image. It looks like you simply ran out of room on your canvas.

eyecandy2
06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Must have been the Gulf Oil Spill that inspired this one. It seems to be coming from the depths of the earth.

Corby
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Is the background supposed to be a silver color or is it a metallic silver base? If real silver it would tarnish with time and emphasize the dragon and other shapes. The glow works well. The light always overpowers the darkness so it would glow even more if it were painted against a darker background and not the neutral beige color...

Onewithwings
06-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the critiques everyone, they are helpful!

This piece was actually meant to be a reference to the term "chasing the dragon" used to reference smoking heroin. It is placed on a long section of tin foil and heated from underneath, creating a trail of smoke that is 'chased' through a tube or straw to inhale it.

greensyster
06-25-2010, 01:58 AM
From your discourse I take it the dragon is pretty much the COI ? If so, I would have its head somewhere higher into the picture and possibly consider giving the head some reflected light from the orange ring.