PDA

View Full Version : Rasta Buddha

Alex Hayes
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey guys I've been a lurker for a while. This is my first post in the CP forum. This is probably my 3rd serious colored pencil piece. Done for my high school 2-D art class. I want to state in advance, that I have no intention of disrespecting any of the religions which are depicted in this piece. I didn't even think of it being offensive until my teacher told me to be careful. I have a deep respect for all religions and I thought this may make a statement. I feel the art which could be controversial is sometimes the best. Viewers may bring any meaning to this as they see fit. In fact, I would be interested in hearing what you all think of the composition/meaning along with the technical aspects. Thank you for looking! Sorry the picture quality isn't that great, it was a quickie.

ann_aurora
06-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Hi Alex! Wow, you've done a very fine job, here!

I don't think there's anything offensive about mingling a Christian window with the Buddha. I don't think Jesus and Buddha would have disagreed about much. Putting the Rasta tam on the Buddha is interesting! I wonder what Buddha would think of the Rastafari movement. Rastas are Christian, but their beliefs about Haile Selassie would surprise a lot of non-Rastas.... I think you've raised some interesting intersections and echoes in this still life. Good for you!

As for your painting, the difference between the translucent window and the solid bust is very clear--well done!

My only quibble is with the yellow band on the tam. It melts into the yellow chalice on the window a bit too much, for me. A different value of yellow on either the window or the tam could take care of that.

Good work! It's great to see such creativity with this super-slow medium, colored pencil.

ocmd123
06-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum, Alex! I love the way you've represented all of the religions in this composition. I also find nothing offensive about it. For me it has kind of the 'One World, One Love' message. I love the Rasta tam on Buddha. I agree with Ann's observation about the yellows not having a clear separation between them. I think you've done a nice job on this. Thanks for sharing with us!

bchlvr
06-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Beautiful!

Alex Hayes
06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I see what you mean about the yellows. I definitely agree and I think I'll do something to make that better. Thanks for the comments/suggestions. :)

Aldaniel
06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I like the work on a glass, great sense of textures of all kind here :clap: