PDA

View Full Version : who?!

La_
06-18-2010, 10:04 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-18-2010/84648_using_up_paint.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-18-2010/84648_using_up_paint_d.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: who?!
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
well, li'l time to paint, li'l time to post, good thing i love summer or i'd be grumpy <br><br>anyway, leftover paint from classes, played with my knife again ... was suppose to be female, but hey, never said i could control a knife <br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
as always, anything that comes to mind, good, bad or indifferent ... thanks for looking

allanom
06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
So, turned into Michael Jackson? There were so many poor renditions of the King of Pop back when he passed, but this one is really different and engaging. Nicely done!

toraman
06-19-2010, 08:37 AM
It has a japanese manga/anime feeling. Looks like female (like all your paintings). Reminds me animatrix.

Bis007
06-19-2010, 08:52 AM
La, I like when you play with the knife again;)- this is beautiful. :thumbsup:and mysterious. Who dat? going by the lips- it looks like a young Pete Townshend from The Who. dunno. (don't think he dresses that way tho). :music::music::music:

Corby
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
HILA! marvelous image. It quite registers as female to me, though as someone has mentioned Michael Jackson...it could also be that male type. I am used though to seeing your female images and so it resonated as such to me. What you can do with left over palette paint and a knife is just marvelous...my usual caution that the image is just a fraction too close to the edge in my opinion. I feel that every good painting has the right to and demands a good frame. Just slightly too close to the edge for comfort in that...

tlmarchi
06-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I wish I could get my knife to do something this good! Nice work LA!

La_
06-19-2010, 01:02 PM
allan, yeah, seems so, i think the hat did it ... didn't thrill me but i like the lips and the contrast so i didn't scrape it off ... thanks and btw, you have the most beautiful bloo eyes in your recent self port. !

toraman, haha, yeah i see that now, animae meets keanu, lol

bis, pete had those lips!? that's very cool

Corby, dang it all on that edge, you're right! it's on stretched canvas tho, i'll try no frame for display, or find a minimally intrusive one.

tlmarchi - a quote i found recently ... "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Raymond Adams.

Thanks much for your eyes and thoughts everyone, i appreciate them greatly :thumbsup:

la

deb789
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I can't make up my mind if male or female....

I have to try painting with a knife. I have been saying this for years. Do you use brushes at all?

flowergram
06-20-2010, 07:17 AM
I love this, it gives me great courage! Put it in a floater frame...

tgsloth
06-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I admit that Michael Jackson is not the manliest fellow out there but he stayed away from lipstick and it is (a) the red lips which identify this as female and anyway, (b) when have you ever painted a guy?

The painting, by the way is both beautiful and perfect. Sometimes the best work is when it's just thrown at the canvas. Other times you have to wrestle it into submission over days. And then sometimes, it's the artist who submits.

La_
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
deb, oh you must try it! so much fun. i've found it beneficial to have an under painting of something to give the option of the background peeking through the knife work, and i like the smooth vs chunky contrast ... this one the background is all brushwork, left to dry and then all knife for the figure ... no rule says you can't sneak in with a brush if you want to/need to, but i try not to 'cause it messes with edges and the natural color layering from the knife ... this one i kept the brush out.

flowergram, excellent!

tg, a) yeah, b) once or twice but it was a completely unfavorable experience ... i am working on one that might come together ... :crossfingers:

there is great freedom in just throwing it without a care in the world, i like it there and strive to get there most often :D some of my happiest accidents happen in that free place and when i can get a 'beautiful and perfect' outa you, well, happy place alert!

Thanks so much y'all, your eyes are invaluable!

la

birdhs
06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
So I am not the only one who can't just throw paint away ! I have about ten canvasses painted with various unusual combinations of colors and patterns just waiting for the subject matter to appear. You have given me a great moment of inspiration and I can only hope to create something this original. :crossfingers:

When I saw this I thought of a fashion shoot where the models are soooo underweight it hurts. Or maybe a VERY famous person out for a walk who is wearing their Foster Grants so they won't be be "seen". :D

Your work always jumpstarts the novelist in me to start creating stories to go with the image, and that is the highest compliment I could pay anyone. ;)

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye. :thumbsup:

La_
06-20-2010, 04:30 PM
throw paint away! :eek: never! i've even got a jar of peeled off dried paint ... never know when a peel and stick pigment might come in handy :lol:

creativity should fuel/inspire/motivate/instigate creativity - get the tools out - brilliance awaits you :D

thanks, really, much appreciate your thoughts, writings, inspirations, eyes :cat:

la

La_
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
SOLD this week :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2010/84648-using_up_paint.jpg

la

greensyster
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
It's fun coming in late - original image has disappeared and the final has been sold! :clap: