PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society

oldwomanpainting
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-18-2010/156856_My_Paintings_002.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Humane Society
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This started as a plein air painting which I decided to take a little farther. Most of the plein air group was painting historical buildings but it was spring and nothing green and all living was out yet so I decided to paint something all living..looking into the local humane society. I really havent worked much on the cats since the plein air and since have focused more on the reflection.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome but especially interested do I need to work on the cats more since I've got more detail in the reflection?

allanom
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!

jbart
06-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.

deb789
06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.

Bis007
06-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.

Corby
06-19-2010, 10:46 AM
no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.

MRSBB
06-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore

silvenus
06-20-2010, 05:05 AM
wish I had your skills, I like it

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!

Thank you! :)

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.

Thank you! :) I like "waiting". It is deffinately better than "humane society". I sent the society an email showing the painting and we are discussing how to best use the painting to promote the humane society. It is now entered in a local art show starting this weekend. If it were to win an award promoting the shelter would be easier.

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.

Thank you! :) I wondered about the car. I'll mute it just a bit. "wanting out" is a good title. You are right that "humane society" is not a good finished title. I've been emailing the society trying to come up with a way to promote it and/or bring in some much needed funds. Maybe linking the picture on facebook and asking for suggestions of a title?

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore

Thank you! :) Yes, the title deffinately needs changed.

oldwomanpainting
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
wish I had your skills, I like it