PDA

View Full Version : Pas De Deux

eyecandy2
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-17-2010/114934_PasDeDeuxSm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pas De Deux
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Astounded by the talent of these magnificent dancers. The lighting is stage lighting and I couldn't resist painting this from a photo that I took. I've been working on it for weeks now and I'm not sure if it is finished.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it finished or what can I do to make it better?

tgsloth
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Gosh, Phil, this is astonishing. Your best work, I think. I can maybe spot some small drafting errors:
While the woman's hands are perfect, the man's seem elongated past the wrist bend.
The man's right foot seems a bit long.
The woman's right shoulder seems smaller than the left despite it being nearer.
I'm so impressed that you've taken on this challenging subject and largely nailed it. Last point: perhaps lose some edges in the dancers' legs.

crazywoman53
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I think TG has pretty well nailed it for you. Great painting!

tlmarchi
06-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with TG also. And very nice work!

jbart
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Fantastic work. Handling of color, light, and shadows super.

La_
06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
beauty!
her arms/hands are fabulous! musculature throughout is stellar!

her calf shadow on the raised leg could be softened ever so little.

of his feet, the left one is tiny! and it could be more firmly grounded (more heel/less shadow). if he, too, has the ability to be on pointe, (quite likely) pointe shoes are exaggeratedly long.

and perhaps it's picky, but he's looking back stage? i'd prefer him looking at her

very nice tho, i agree this could be you're best so far!

la

deb789
06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I enjoy looking at ballet paintings. I like the expression on the male dancer's face and how his head is tilted away. Yes, the shadow on the right calf could be somewhat softened.

Very nice!

MRSBB
06-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Hi Phil. Nice painting and I like the color. I agree with TG on all the points he has made. Nice to see your art again............Lenore

eyecandy2
06-20-2010, 02:37 PM
TG, you are right, the hand did look elongated and I fixed that by widening it where the thumb would come out and this made the difference. The hand was not actually too long but it looked that way. It was the height of the face which is the usual and the foot wasn't properly foreshortened. By makeing the heal narrower and the toe area wider, it now looks like it belongs. Your critique was right on and I think I have a better painting with those corrections.

eyecandy2
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I fixed the male dancer's left hand and his left foot, I think. The hand is certainly not too long. It just covers is face which is about right, but it had to be widened in the thumb area. I corrected the foot by narrowing the heal area to accentuate the forshortening thus giving it more depth. Hope it works.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2010/114934-Pas_De_DeuxSm.jpg