GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Orvieto, Italy
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I tried to capture movement. This was my first experience with figures.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on movement and composition

tgsloth
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM
You did great with the figures. I think the weak point of the painting is all the windows and doors. They're dabbed in. Work more layers on the building facade textures.

Corby
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
This is really charming! The color is pure and glowing and the figures in themselves are wonderful! I feel that the composition itself might be improved to give more visual harmony. It seems a bit scattered and the painting can almost be broken in half. As it is the right side does not seem to relate correctly with the left side of the painting. part of this is the great distance between the two figures there on the right and the rest of the figures on the left. The not belonging is emphasized in that the two figures on the right seem out of scale with the figures on the left.

The two umbrellaed figures are your focal point and they have a marvelous sense of movement. Why not move the foremost one of them to the left a bit more so that it exactly coincides with the left hand 'golden line' This makes the figures seem to be meeting each other, perhaps for conversation and it enhances them as the focal point. I would also move the background grouping of people that you lose in this rearrangement. I would move them to the right of the umbrella and I would then repeat a like grouping in front of the car. This pulls the two sides of the painting together and unifies it. Mind you this is only my suggestion for compositional improvement and to demonstrate that these things can be worked out before hand by using the 'rule of thirds'. I realize the painting being watercolor cannot be changed...so what...it is beautifully done as is.You can be quite proud of your excursion into painting the human figure! And yes I agree with TG! There are a lot of windows there! It is always good to choose a couple and work them up and let the rest be understood as units perhaps, not individual blocks of color...that blue facade with balcony on the right above the car is absolutely beautiful!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2010/70790-orvieto2.JPG

crazywoman53
06-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Agreed a charming painting and good critiques above from two fine artists. In addition I might add to make this read better, would be to check your perpective on the buildings. The windows especially draw attention to that. Take a piece of tracing paper and lay it over this with a ruler and mark out your perspective lines and you can see where you need to adjust were you do to this painting again. Love how you did the people!

Bis007
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
:thumbsup:Lovely scene - it is crisp.clean and it set the mood of everything Italian!!