PDA

View Full Version : Which WMO is preferred?

lst
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I am preparing to do some air travel and plein air painting and decided it may be best to purchase a set of WMO. I currently paint in oils (but havent flown with them yet) and think it would be easier to not have to hunt down thinner at my destination.
I'm currently debating between Holbein, Max and WN. WN being the least expensive and therefore most appealing, however, I've learned the hard way to get the best I can afford. Hence my post here.
Which brand do you find the best and why? Would it be appropriate to start with a small set of WN or will I be sorry? Holbein is at least double the expense but perhaps worth it. Or will I be wasting my money?
Also, if you have a medium you love to use with them, please let me know that as well. And can you fly with the mediums?
Thanks,
Lori Twiggs

DAK723
06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Here's a previous thread that may give you some info on the differrent brands.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577473

Don

Crystal1
06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
If you are already painting in oils, it might be a good idea to try 1 or 2 tubes of each brand to see which one feels best to you. None of the brands suit everybody. Some people like very stiff paint and some like it looser. WN is the one brand that doesn't mix well with plain water, but they do have a thinner that works well. I live in the sticks and had to order the thinner from Dick Blick. It took 3 shipments before I received the thinner, and customer service said it was one of the most difficult items to ship. I've heard others say they have trouble finding it. I don't know about flying with the mediums. I do know that lots of people use Walnut Oil with the WMOs and it is usable when purchased from a health food or art store.

Good Luck.