MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-27-2002/13727_Mittens.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mittens
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4
Allow digital alterations?: Yes please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A cat idling in the spring breeze

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Hello, this is my first submission to this community. I hope you find it to your liking!

please comment

jerryW
09-28-2002, 09:05 AM
the white areas on the cat are fun

simon levenson
09-29-2002, 02:53 AM
Hello and welcome from Malta, where exactly is that...
My first guru was my cat and my cats name was mittens. He taught me all about life and since his lessons things have only been lost but almost nothing has been added. He used to get into fights and sleep around... he used to sleep on the yellow line in the middle of the street, cause it was warmer than the pavement... truckers would ring our bell to get the cat out of the way... he walked slow, cleaned himself only when needed...and was the first "INDIVIDUAL" I ever knew.

I dig your palm-ish trees, what are they? and the checkers in the back so small compared with the large ones on the floor, the back legs of the cat, crooked smile, fat belly and posed front paws...

He looks like his body is happening to him and not something he owns... is that wicker basket, behind the trees?

What is with the dirt or lost leaves on the tiles?

I totaly dig this piece, nice work, my guru would have been proud, thank you for sharing it and welcome again from Malta

simon levenson
09-29-2002, 02:56 AM
WOW the more I look at this the more I have a poorly decided psychological idea here. You feel trapped and relaxed at once... You are living at home but should be out on your own. Look at the screen squares in the back almost up to the top of the drawing, the sharp trees and the occasional leaves are in a way are aranged to poke him if he walks off the bottom of the picture...

I say you have enough space but just dont move!

Antonella
09-29-2002, 05:19 AM
:D :p :)

I really laughed while reading your comments!! and here are my replies:

The white areas are fun, aren't they?!they really describe what this cat is all about!

Malta is a tiny island in the middle of the mediterranean sea, 100 km south of Sicily
http://www.searchmalta.com/ here yuo should find all the info you need about Malta-a great place I assure you!

regarding the cat, he is not actually my guru but he is part of a team of seven cats (all mine) whose sole mission is that of destroying the house and lazing around when they're not doing that:) I'm just kidding, I adore them!

regarding the palmish trees, they are Yucca plants, present in warm climates.

the grid in the background is chickenwire(although unsightly it is the only thing that survived our cats' tenacious claws)

the stuff on the tiles is a mixture of soil and leaves (my dad was doing some gardening that day:))

about the cat's expression, I can easily explain that. He was sleeping and I crept up to him and took a photo. That startled him and by the time I took the second photo (the one I used for inspiration) he was half relaxed and half ready to leap off - so here's his expression!

As soon as I have some time I'll post the source picture

thanks for posting