PDA

View Full Version : Plein air....Greenhouse

priyaa
06-16-2010, 10:36 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-16-2010/111944_SAM_0379-1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Plein air....Greenhouse
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was done on location at a local park.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments would be helpful as I'm a beginner.

climber-man
06-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Painting outdoors can be very tricky, but the couple times I've done it, I find that planning my colors in terms of warm and cool before starting to paint makes a big difference. For example, you have a lot of yellow / orange, so I would expect blue / purple shadow colors. Other than that, keep enjoying your painting and your learning. Your work seems very promising

tgsloth
06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Fine composition and that's part of the battle. The two things that I notice on this painting is the foreground is unfinished and the glass sides of the greenhouse don't look transparent. To look transparent, you need to suggest some things inside. Keep at it and keep posting.

billmahler
06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
The warm colors give a pleasant feel, but what would be the center of interest or focal point here?
Reducing the movement in the clouds might quiet things down a bit and let the focal point shine thru.

Corby
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
good crits. My take on it is that by virtue of color and placement the orange building is pretty much the focal point. I like the relative masses of the painting. Giving some depth to the greenhouse as has been suggested and darkening the background behind it so as to provide contrast and visually push it forward is also needed. You have a nice start...keep going!

while I have demonstrated my points here I can also see that there needs to be even greater darks on the left hand side to balance the visual weight of the really dark tree on the right...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2010/70790-greenhouse.JPG

priyaa
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Very constructive comments.
I don't alter my plein air work when I get back home, as I want to learn from my mistakes. So, everytime I look at them, it reminds me what not do the next time.
Corby, the left side definitely needs more darks. That's the first thing I noticed when I got back home.
Bill, the clouds are competing for attention. It was my first time doing them and I guess I got carried away.
Bob, I agree. The greenhouse should have things showing through.
Brian, Now I see what you mean. Adding some blues and purples in shadows would also bring out the yellow and oranges.
Thanks again, very helpful, Priya:)

crazywoman53
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
You've already received some very good critiques so I will just add I think it is an enjoyable painting. If you are of the mind you might want to repaint this working off this one adding the suggestions above. I find for me that I can learn even more by doing this. Keep painting and please do share with us. We love to see artists grow and we all do hopefully.. no matter how long we have been painting.