GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Peony in Ceramic Vase
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I picked some beautiful peony from my neighbor's garden and placed them in a vase to paint. After a day however, I had to continue from a photo I took.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Although I believe I captured the essence of the flower, how could I have corrected or changed the brush strokes to give it a more realistic interpretation of a peony?

climber-man
06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I think you really have to push the values more between the petals. Also at this size, it can be hard to get the necessary detail. I would say this is a successful painting, it's very recognizeable and has some very nice color qualities

crazywoman53
06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Peonies are one of my favorite flowers. You've picked one of the brighter colored ones and the complimentary color combo really makes then even brighter. You have some very strong cast shadows which tells me there should be some very dark shadows within the flowers themselves. I would soften the back leaf on the left side so it will recede more. The foreground leaves are very well painted but they stand out and get my attention more than the flowers. So I would suggest either softening them as well or bringing the detail of the main flower up to the standard of the leaves. The bright red on the table in the left hand corner also needs to be toned down. That could be the photograph as I know red tends to amplify and if that is the case just ignore it. But the way it appears right now it competes with the flowers. The freshness of this is very nice and I think pushing the values as stated above will give you some really nice flowers.

spirothet
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Thank you for your input. I will implement some of the changes suggest.

tgsloth
06-22-2010, 08:39 AM
CW has supplied a comprehensive and discerning critique, so there's not much to add. It did strike me that by have a red vase and red tablecloth, your colors seem a bit unbalanced and you fail to allow the Peonies to really take center stage. Here's a photoshop which leaves only the Peonies red. I'm not too crazy about the colors I was able to generate for the vase and cloth but I hope the exercise gives you some thoughts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2010/124239-227323_DSCF2376.jpg

Gerrycanada
06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I personally like the color of your vase. It makes the whole painting so strong.
My reading of painting flowers indicates that if you block them in with a really dark color and then add the lighter petals, the dark beginning helps to mould the flower, leaving the dark shadows in the petals. Hope this makes sense, you can probably find expert opinions on this! I am having the same problem with an open rose.

Spyderbabe
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure I would strive for a realistic portrayal. When I first saw this I thought, warm, joyous and festive. ..it captures a feeling of flowers.