PDA

View Full Version : tans, not yellow

greyart
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I need tans/beiges. I do dog portraits and have so much trouble doing a fawn greyhound or other brown dog. I am looking to get a new set, I only have small half sets of GA and Rem. There are no tans. Anything close is too yellow. What kind of set should I look for to get tans? portrait(I got one portrait set and no good tan), landscape, etc? I also want some darks, may have to get separate, i don't know. I checked out the threads in the materials section, and now I am totally confused! :confused: everyone likes different brands so I don't know which way to go. this is all I have now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/55733-pastels.jpg

Paula Ford
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Mount Visions have absolutely wonderful tans, beiges, and neutrals!!!
http://mountvisionpastels.com/Browns.htm

rugman
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree totaly with Paula. Also, Art Spectrum has some good browny, tanny colors that I use a lot. Cant remember the exact name of color sets, but check out brown earths, stone tones. May be able to get on Dick Blick website and see the colors in each set.

Devonlass
06-16-2010, 01:23 PM
My first thought was also Mount Vision.

DAK723
06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Mount Visions are excellent - and Giraults might be another good choice. Both are somewhat in the middle of the range in terms of softness, so they are quite versatile.

Since you are looking at a fairly specific range of colors, you might be better off choosing your pastels from open stock rather than buying a set. The Mount vision website has some fairly good photos of all the color families, and fineartstore.com has some reasonably good color swatches on thier own open stock pages:

http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/List/1/CategoryID/4405/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cUnitCost

Hope this helps!

Don

allydoodle
06-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Ditto Paula: For value and quality, Mount Vision is hard to beat. If you purchased open stock colors that you pick yourself, you probably will get more for your money. Mount Vision makes some really nice neutrals. The 50 pc portrait goes for something like $115, a pretty good value, if you just want to buy a set.

Unison offers a Natural Earth colors set - 18 piece -which looks to me like there are only two which have a strong leaning toward yellow. If you look on Dick blick,'s site, the picture is pretty good, so you can see the colors. A really nice pastel, though they are pricey, $60 for the set, much more than the Mount Visions.

Giraults has a 25 earthtone colors set, and they are really pricey at $100. Great pastels, but you don't get a lot for the money.

I just purchased the Terry Ludwig 30 pc Intense Dark II set, which I absolutely love (price is $72). The best darks I've ever used, and the darkest, without being black. I have Unison darks, which are nice, but not as nice as the Ludwigs for extreme glowing darks. I just can't say enough about this set! Girault makes nice darks too (which I have), but IMHO, those Ludwigs are hard to beat!

You are right, everyone likes different brands, so I hope I didn't add to the confusion!

suruchi
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Another idea is to maybe purchase the hand made color chart for Mount Vision from Dakota. I refer to it when I want another shade for something specific. I love my Mt Visions!
Dena

greyart
06-16-2010, 09:56 PM
thanks for the help. I had been looking at some Mt vision and the dark Ludigs at the suggestion on a different post. I just got paid for a portrait so I think I may get some of both. I really need to increase my color range if I am to continue to do commissions. hehe, I've talked myself into it.

saramathewson
06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
funny, I was going to recommend Mount Visions too.
I have some beautiful tans from them. they came in the Workshop set plus the basic add on and the landscape add on. Not sure which of those, but I think some in all of them.

Sara

chuas2
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Yet another vote for Mt. Visions...I also have some fabulous neutrals from Terry Ludwig that are cool beige.
Chuas

greyart
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I ordered one of the MV portrait sets and the Ludwig dark II. If I like the way they work I may have to add more later.