PDA

View Full Version : Some from Mellon and Frick park

priyaa
06-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Friends,
Three are oil on panel 8x10, the one with the house and cafe are 9x12.
These were done in local parks here in Pittsburgh. I don't know what happened to the one with the cafe scene(fourth). I don't like it, but decided to post it anyways. It's the Frick Museum cafe, here in Pittsburgh. God bless the hearts of well meaning people, who kept asking questions. None the less, I got intimidated and left the painting "kind of unfinished".:cool:
Reference photos of the scenes can be found in the same thread.
C&C much appreciated as it'll help me learn.
Thanks for looking.
Priya

priyaa
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Here are some photos of the views I painted from.

danju
06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi, Priya, I like your boldness. You've kept your colors clean, your brushwork indicates that you are enjoying the process. I believe this to be a big part of plein air painting. Some of these seem to have been done while the light source was quite strong and that makes me think some of your shadows might be of a darker value. I often am guilty of my darks not quite being true. Of course, then you still need to show the colors that exist in the shadows. So many things we all need to be aware of, eh? I'm curious as to what colors are on your palette. Thanks for posting. Dan

priyaa
06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Dan,
Thank you for commenting on my post. You are absoutely right, the shadows should probably be darker. Here in Pittsburgh the weather is very inconsistent. Most days are gray, very few sunny days. When I start it's gray and within an hour it becomes sunny and then gray again. So, I guess I probably don't get it right sometimes. I'll try working on this in the future.
Also,I think these are probably too abstract(?)
These were done in May after I came back from a workshop with Jennifer Mcchristian,so I'm using her recommended palette.It is
Cad yellow medium,
yellow ochre,
Indian yellow,
Cad red light
thalo Red Rose,
Alizarin crimson,
Ultramarine Bue
Titanium white( I have replaced this with Tit-Zinc white last month)
Thanks again!
Priya

danju
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Priya, for sending along the palette info. Even after a few years of plein air activity I'm still sampling different palettes. At times using the Richard Schmid full bore but currently have cut back to K McPherson's very limited: lem yel, cad rd lt, alz crim, thalo grn, ultra blu, white. I seem to manage better harmony in the field with a short palette. We have all contended with changing sky/light conditions. Quite a challenge! Have fun. Dan