PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Maker

jgrandfield
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-14-2010/210895_06142010_010.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Arrow Maker
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 X 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just started this painting and was hoping to get some comments before I go any further. The hair is just blocked in and needs work so does the clothing.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any and all commnets welcome

Corby
06-15-2010, 12:32 AM
It is hard to say with the foreground unfinished but I am inclined to think that a dark background would really spark the drama of this piece. Their is a personality here not just a traditional image of an indian.

mkillough
06-15-2010, 12:59 PM
The head piece is perfect. I would go a value higher on the red of his clothing and a couple values higher on his arms shadow.
Your darkest darks are in the top half of the painting and no dark values in the bottom half which splits the work in half.
You have darkest darks on both sides of his face which says the light is coming from the front so value the bottom half that way also.

Maryq

mroy27
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Just a quick thought, when I see skin in reality I see lots of greens, blues and crimsons in addition to sienna. It could be the camera but right now the skin in this painting looks very warm to me. Not necessarily a bad idea considering the personality of the arrow maker...he screams 'don't mess with me'...but you still can add more cool tones to make him less hot yet more lively. Pretty cool idea...I really like it.
Manju

crazywoman53
06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
You are off to a good start. However it seems to me that the neck is too big for the head especially on the viewers left side. His eyes have character and not just a blank eye which is wonderful. Will be interesting to see how you finish it up.

jgrandfield
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM
First thanks for all your great comments

Corby
I agree that the background should be darker.

mkillough
Will do, thanks

mroy27
I'll try it and see what happens, by adding the cool tones will it increase the contrast on the face?

crazywoman53
After you mention it I cansee what you mean, not sure how to correct it

Thanks again for all the great comments

John G

greensyster
06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
These Indians you are drawing - are either of them someone you have met?

I ask because technically you are doing good work but I am not 'feeling' the strengths and weakness of the men.

Of course it could be because of the straight on into the camera stance each have?

Will watch and see cos given the above, you are certainly doing good work.

tgsloth
06-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Suggest that his eyes are drafted too high on his head and for me, the headdress horizontal item is a distraction, not so much because of its form but because of it's very high value. It is shining and this distracts the viewer from the face. Agree with CW regarding the neck as well. Look forward to seeing the finish.

lastborn
06-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Seems like the forehead is not tall enough, or eyes too high. Also the distinctness of his upper lip locks unnatural, too sticky outish. And those neck ligaments or whatever are too exactly the same shape on both sides. usually there will be shadow or light interference of some sort on one side to make them distinct, and more broken than two big slanty lines. Here I added some shadow to the left side, softened the bags under his eyes, and the lips in general. the shadow is too red, but you see the idea. Also raised the top of the head, making the forehead larger in everyway.

Good luck with portraiture. I have a terrible time with it.